Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810402 times)

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6105 on: August 25, 2011, 02:42:01 am »

Edit: Never mind, turns out jump point and jump gate are different things....
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 02:55:23 am by LuckyNinja »
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6106 on: August 25, 2011, 02:53:34 am »

Once you've surveyed a Jump Point, you can build a Jump Gate. Jump gates are sort of giant stargates, building one will let you go through the jump point from the side the gate is on; to make a 2 way jump gate, you need to build a second one on the other side. I'd advise against building jump gates pointing back towards Sol unless the system you are building in is *really* secure (e.g. all the other surrounding systems 2 jumps deep are as well.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6107 on: August 25, 2011, 03:13:58 am »

Ah thaks, but I'm a bit confused. Every jump point listed has a (JG) tag next to it, which I'm assuming means it's got a jump gate. I'm assuming that to traverse a Jump Point you need a jump engine, but that Jump Gates effectively act as one giant static one, enabling non-JG'd ships to move through it. If this is the case, then I'm a bit annoyed because I can't get any sodding civillian ships to/from other systems, especially trying to send supplies.

Okay the civilians are just being dicks. My PDCs keep saying they are running out of fuel. As an orbital station, don't they not need fuel? Anyway, how do I go about giving them fuel?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 03:39:10 am by LuckyNinja »
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6108 on: August 25, 2011, 04:39:16 am »

PDCs aren't orbital stations, but more grounded ones ;)
You need to remove the fuel tanks from its design.

if you want an orbital station (advantage : no atmosphere above => laser at full strength), you should build a no engine, no fuel-tank ship, not telling the game it's a station. Anyway, any ship can act as a station, with engines of ^^

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6109 on: August 25, 2011, 10:06:42 am »

So, uh, geosurvey ships. Those work differently from the geosurvey teams that go down onto planets, right? 'Cuz if they have a chance to find minerals and a chance to say "Nope, planet's barren since I'm inexperienced" then I think I just ruined Mars.

Is it just that mars is barren or that my geosurvey ship sucks?
No. Geosurvey ships either find the minerals or don't. There is no skill-based chance of finding more or less. The minerals in the system bodies are generated but hidden, and a geosurvey ship reveals them.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6110 on: August 25, 2011, 10:41:28 am »

Gotcha, thanks.

Any reason to settle Mars if nothing is there, then? Also, is there anything else I ought to be doing while my survey ships bum around and such? I'm rolling on thirty-day increments right now, shipyards are working, factories are making automines, researches researching, etc. Anything I missed? Mostly, I'm not sure how much time I should be spending doing what, but since I didn't start with an NPR in the galaxy and I haven't explored any jump points, I'm less worried.

Also, a jump point called Unex popped up by the sun without my gravisurvey team having a look, nor was there a gravisurvey point there. Should I be concerned?

Edit: And another popped up on a non-gravisurvey point, though it was near one. Same place.

Editedit: And a third to Unex.

It depends on what you've found; if you've explored a dozen systems and not found a habitable/easily terraformable planet, you might think about settling it, but with no resources and the effort required to terraform it, it might not be worth it.

(Or you could just cheat with SM mode and regen resources for Mars. Or actually cheat and fill it with hundreds of millions of every resource, although that gets boring pretty fast.)

"Unex" is short for "Unexplored", it means that your gravsurvey ship(s) found a jump point to another system, and you haven't explored it yet. Keep in mind that JPs usually won't show up right on the survey point.

Also, regarding turn length: Use 1-day or 5-day turn lengths, as civ ships like freighters and colony ships tend to be dicks and wait for the end of a turn when they reach a planet, even if they have further orders. So Freighter 034 reaches Titan with an automine, drops it, and then sits around for 17 days until the end of the 30-day turn, as opposed to continuing with the orders at the start of the next 1-day or 5-day turn. 30-day is attractive because of the sped-up build rates and research rates, but it is ultimately less productive than obsessive day-by-day micro.

Also, make sure that in the Display tab of the system view you have "Events" checked on, so you'll know if the turn interrupt was a new officer being recruited or a hostile alien fleet smooshing one of your survey ships.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6111 on: August 25, 2011, 10:46:50 am »

Tossing the infrastructure onto mars to support 10 million people and then dropping them there is highly recommended as it will give your civvie ships a close trade location. Why 10 million? Because that is the point that all of the different trade goods unlock. After you drop that infrastructure, just let the colony grow naturally and forget about it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6112 on: August 25, 2011, 10:48:19 am »

Also, make sure to subsidize your civilian shipping lines, as they generate wealth for you, carry colonists for free, and can be contracted to transport facilities and goods while your own freighers are busy with more important things.

3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6113 on: August 25, 2011, 10:52:37 am »

You won't get civilian ships until there is something for them to do. The shipping lines won't build ships until there is a need. Once you drop some infrastructure on mars I bet you'll get some civvie ships within a year or two.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6114 on: August 25, 2011, 10:55:06 am »

You don't even have to do that. If you start with ~700-800m population or more you always (or almost always) start with a preexisting civ shipping line. All you have to do then is give them a little bit of wealth, mark Mars as a colony, and a year or two down the line they'll have ships carting over infrastructure and colonists.

3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6115 on: August 25, 2011, 11:01:27 am »

You don't even have to do that. If you start with ~700-800m population or more you always (or almost always) start with a preexisting civ shipping line. All you have to do then is give them a little bit of wealth, mark Mars as a colony, and a year or two down the line they'll have ships carting over infrastructure and colonists.
They will not start the colonization, you'll have to do that part yourself. Once you put the first bit of infrastructure on Mars though they will take over assuming they have any colony ships running.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6116 on: August 25, 2011, 11:04:31 am »

They will not start the colonization, you'll have to do that part yourself. Once you put the first bit of infrastructure on Mars though they will take over assuming they have any colony ships running.

I swear I can remember a game where they had a freighter dropping off infrastructure when all I had there was an xenologist team and an Engineer brigade. Maybe the engineers recovered some infrastructure... I would SCIENCE it but I've got a class in an hour.

Also, Naxza: I honestly don't know how they work either.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6117 on: August 25, 2011, 11:20:11 am »

You could set up a civilian contract of course to take infrastructure out there and start the whole process, but it will never (in my experience) just suddenly happen spontaneously. In my last game I had mars designated as a colony for many years because I had automated mines on it but they never started shoveling people and infra there.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6118 on: August 25, 2011, 11:31:50 am »

Mining ships can only mine asteroids or comets iirc.  No planets or (I *think*) moons, even if no colony.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6119 on: August 25, 2011, 11:32:14 am »

IDK then, it probably was that the EB recovered some infrastructure.

On another note, I just got a "fuck you" start(again): Researchers:
-1x Missile/Kinetics
-1x Sensor/Fire Control
-1x Biology
-4x Construction
 ::)

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 1347