Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808504 times)

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6030 on: August 24, 2011, 04:41:54 am »

Is there any way of being able to increase the general research bonus / max lab capacity for scientists?
Training: Have them researching for a while until they eventually level up.

So there's no way of increasing the bonus past 30% then?
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6031 on: August 24, 2011, 04:49:30 am »

Why do you take "Training: Have them researching for a while until they eventually level up." as "They cannot increase their stats"?

Yes they certainly can increase their bonus. Same with max labs. You must train them.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6032 on: August 24, 2011, 04:52:41 am »

Why do you take "Training: Have them researching for a while until they eventually level up." as "They cannot increase their stats"?

Yes they certainly can increase their bonus. Same with max labs. You must train them.

I have had one researcher who started at 30% and 25 labs researching near-constantly over two game decades and his stats haven't changed a bit.
Steam page!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6033 on: August 24, 2011, 04:55:16 am »

It's completely random chance. I've had similar situations, but I believe I've also had some researchers that did level up.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6034 on: August 24, 2011, 04:57:16 am »

Fair enough, but I haven't had a single scientist above 30% at all.
Steam page!

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6035 on: August 24, 2011, 05:21:33 am »

Fair enough, but I haven't had a single scientist above 30% at all.
It's quite random. After some decades with a few hundred of different labs and a few hundred scientists you'll probably get a few that got very lucky and leveled up to 60%-70%
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6036 on: August 24, 2011, 05:25:37 am »

What are good technologies to put starting research points into? I've managed to get over the overwhelming interface, and know how to research and create research projects etc, but I've no real idea what to do next :P What are the first things you should do when starting a game?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #6037 on: August 24, 2011, 06:26:40 am »

Develop engines and sensors?  :P
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6038 on: August 24, 2011, 06:48:12 am »

Not as helpful as I'd hoped :P

I mean like, which techs should I give myself at the start with the starting tech points? And once I start the game, what should I do first? Geosurvey everything in Sol?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6039 on: August 24, 2011, 07:00:08 am »

Started a game the other day in a nebula system, because I wanted to see how that would impact my designs long-term (for one thing, armor tech becomes much more of a priority, and engines/fuel efficiency less so). Homeworld was on the moon of a gas giant (race was methane-breathing), so my starting pop was kinda low and it was slow going at first. After about 40 years, I had finished surveying my home system and was working on colonizing three other planets/moons that just needed some atmospheric tweaking. Good start.

Finished the grav survey, only 1 jump point. Jumped through, it's another nebula system. Long-term, I'm thinking this is good. Anybody trying to attack my home system is going to have to run this gauntlet of nebulas and be slowed down while I hit them from stationary bases. Do a quick gravsurvey and....1 jump point. Back to my home system.

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU  >:(

Geosurvey everything in Sol?
That's a good start. I usually do one pure geosurvey ship to get started, then research jump drives (or if you're TN you already have them) and build a long-range scout with geosurvey and grav survey sensors and jump drives, then start scouting out the nearby systems.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 07:02:08 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6040 on: August 24, 2011, 07:33:47 am »

I prefer dedicated geosurvey and gravsurvey ships. This way I can just automate them and set them loose at a system with hundred of bodies to survey, while saving in maintenance. Even with low tech, a self only civilian jump drive is cheap enough that I find it worth it.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6041 on: August 24, 2011, 07:47:31 am »

I mean like, which techs should I give myself at the start with the starting tech points? And once I start the game, what should I do first? Geosurvey everything in Sol?

As a fellow noob to this, I don't know exactly the best way to go about things, but I initially invested in better mines and general construction/production techs, and invested into propulsion, especially jump engines. Build a few geo survey ships, give them a jump engine, and try to survey everything in sol and other immediate systems.
Steam page!

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #6042 on: August 24, 2011, 08:59:33 am »

This is a more personal taste choice than I think you realize. You could invest for tomorrow by researching the research-boosting tech. If you want to move to other systems immediately, jump point theory and either jump gate or jump engine technology is needed. If you want to spend more time scoping out Sol, you can forgo those in the short term. If you want to start arming immediately, you'll need military tech... if you prefer to play peaceful until forced to do otherwise, that can be ignored in the short term. If you want to use auto-miners on everything, you don't need the asteroid miners.

But, yeah, at least the first level of geosurvey tech and the first engine technology is a must, regardless.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6043 on: August 24, 2011, 09:11:58 am »

Hey, another question: How do you train ground units? nothing seems to be made via the Ground Units tab, and whenever I try to make any in the GU training, time comes up as 00:00, completion date the current date, yet nothing is actually produced? how, please :)

Edit: never mind that, added a training facility and researched some battalions. Was a bit confused given that Earth already had a load of units that weren't researched :P
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 09:35:08 am by LuckyNinja »
Steam page!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6044 on: August 24, 2011, 10:31:18 am »

Started a game the other day in a nebula system, because I wanted to see how that would impact my designs long-term (for one thing, armor tech becomes much more of a priority, and engines/fuel efficiency less so). Homeworld was on the moon of a gas giant (race was methane-breathing), so my starting pop was kinda low and it was slow going at first. After about 40 years, I had finished surveying my home system and was working on colonizing three other planets/moons that just needed some atmospheric tweaking. Good start.

Finished the grav survey, only 1 jump point. Jumped through, it's another nebula system. Long-term, I'm thinking this is good. Anybody trying to attack my home system is going to have to run this gauntlet of nebulas and be slowed down while I hit them from stationary bases. Do a quick gravsurvey and....1 jump point. Back to my home system.

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU  >:(

Geosurvey everything in Sol?
That's a good start. I usually do one pure geosurvey ship to get started, then research jump drives (or if you're TN you already have them) and build a long-range scout with geosurvey and grav survey sensors and jump drives, then start scouting out the nearby systems.

Add a system with a decent number of jump points. Add another JP to your second system. Link that one to one of the ones in the new system. Problem solved!  :D

Also, regarding scientist bonuses: I had a researcher with 30% in propulsion get to 35% in the first year. Which was amazing, by the by.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 1347