Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809154 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5790 on: August 20, 2011, 09:58:50 am »

Well, the reason we're not getting it from Steve is...

Wait, why are we not getting it from Steve again? I'm just asking for it because Sheb is going to give it away to several other people anyway.

Anyway, okay. I'll remember to backup my database.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5791 on: August 20, 2011, 10:04:13 am »

Hm. Well, I managed to figure out the basics of colony formation and terraforming mechanics after a great deal of wikifu and lurking.

On another note, I've got a jump point inside the orbit of Mercury, and another in the Mars-Jupiter asteroid belt. Should I worry about getting pickets on those in the next few years?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5792 on: August 20, 2011, 10:08:04 am »

Not unless you're sure there's aliens on the other side. Because systems are only generated when they're explored, and the chances that NPRs will end up in Sol (IF you generated one at the start) is EXTREMELY low.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5793 on: August 20, 2011, 10:13:14 am »

Well, the reason we're not getting it from Steve is...

Wait, why are we not getting it from Steve again? I'm just asking for it because Sheb is going to give it away to several other people anyway.

Anyway, okay. I'll remember to backup my database.
Eh, been a few posts over on the Aurora forums where Steve said he has been sent on a number of wild goose chases cause of people breaking things with designer mode.  Hence the password and getting it from Steve.
Comes down to, if you got password: "Did you break it with designer mode?" Y/N
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5794 on: August 20, 2011, 10:45:54 am »

Yeah, that's why Steve doesn't want people to have it. It's ridiculously easy to break your game. So if you use it, don't file any bug report. You're on your own. Just to make sure, I won't post it here, I'll PM it to you guys.

As for the database password, it's easy to find software that'll give it to you. I'm not exactly sure what it was, but I'll tell you what I think it was.

If you want it and didn't get the PM, just request it from me.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5795 on: August 20, 2011, 10:48:04 am »

Okay, there are two things that I can't for the life of me understand: How do I order my missile-based ships to fill their magazines, either from a planet or a collier? and how do I add newly constructed ships to a TG? Okay, finally figured out that they are automatically added to the Shipyard TG, which doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense (though it does make more sense than designing a game that can't be played on screens that don't support one obnoxiously large resolution).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 10:54:05 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5796 on: August 20, 2011, 10:55:59 am »

Thanks Sheb!

Now, to see if I can't play around for Galilean moons, test stability, and maybe even make a tutorial for editing them to be more realistic.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5797 on: August 20, 2011, 10:57:31 am »

You can select the TG you want them to pop in when you start construction. For missiles, a good thing is to set the default load in the class design window, then I think you just have an order in the TG window, like for refueling. Or you can do it manually, like for fuel and the like.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5798 on: August 20, 2011, 11:22:01 am »

This error is starting to piss me off. Every 5 second increment I'm getting this, jesus.
How many deep space tracking stations do you have on one planet? I seem to recall getting an error like that when I built a huge number.
I've got level 4 on Earth and Earth only, whatever that means. I've never built anymore.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5799 on: August 20, 2011, 02:24:22 pm »

Played around with designer mode for a bit in my current single player game (the no missile one). It does indeed work for what I want.

Interesting fact: For the longest time one of the NPRs had been pausing the game every day or so, leading me to believe there was a massive undiscovered empire out there doing its own thing. With designer mode on, I discovered that the precursors had left a sensor buoy in a system after I cleaned them out, and were pausing the game every time they detected a civilian freighter heading to the colony there :P. Since the buoy didn't show up on passive sensors, it had been there undiscovered for years.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5800 on: August 20, 2011, 02:31:00 pm »

WHAT THE FUCK!

I found an engineless, weaponless 25 MILLION ton ship(???), hostile, belonging to the Precursor race. Its hovering over a planet with ruins and I pumped a good 200 missiles into it, every single one hit, and no atmosphere, liquid, damaged parts, nothing.

All I know is, it has a Thermal reading of 1 and its fucking HUGE.

What the hell do I do?
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5801 on: August 20, 2011, 02:33:32 pm »

WHAT THE FUCK!

I found an engineless, weaponless 25 MILLION ton ship(???), hostile, belonging to the Precursor race. Its hovering over a planet with ruins and I pumped a good 200 missiles into it, every single one hit, and no atmosphere, liquid, damaged parts, nothing.

All I know is, it has a Thermal reading of 1 and its fucking HUGE.

What the hell do I do?
It's probably a habitat, just fire a bunch of massive missiles into it.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5802 on: August 20, 2011, 03:05:25 pm »

Ok, well somehow I didn't notice but my empire's economy is mirroring the US economy and now I'm completely broke...

I know NPC traders going between colonies gives you money, I've got 3 colonies (earth, mars, mercury) and 3 shipping lines and they are all shipping stuff constantly, but it's not producing all that much money (and extra 15% or so over the taxes).

I'm in the process of researching expanded civilian economy for 20% more taxes.... that won't be enough to solve the problem but it should help a bit.

Is there any other way to get more money? I don't really have anywhere else to start a new colony (at least, that wouldn't require years and years of terraforming to get a respectable population). Can I make my own freighters ship trade goods to get $$$ or something? Can I sell my civilians spaceship parts or minerals - yes I know about selling the output from civilian mineral colonies, I mean sell them my own minerals?

Or am I just screwed for the next 50 years till I get more colonies going to get more space bucks for me?
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5803 on: August 20, 2011, 03:31:11 pm »

Ok, well somehow I didn't notice but my empire's economy is mirroring the US economy and now I'm completely broke...

I know NPC traders going between colonies gives you money, I've got 3 colonies (earth, mars, mercury) and 3 shipping lines and they are all shipping stuff constantly, but it's not producing all that much money (and extra 15% or so over the taxes).

I'm in the process of researching expanded civilian economy for 20% more taxes.... that won't be enough to solve the problem but it should help a bit.

Is there any other way to get more money? I don't really have anywhere else to start a new colony (at least, that wouldn't require years and years of terraforming to get a respectable population). Can I make my own freighters ship trade goods to get $$$ or something? Can I sell my civilians spaceship parts or minerals - yes I know about selling the output from civilian mineral colonies, I mean sell them my own minerals?

Or am I just screwed for the next 50 years till I get more colonies going to get more space bucks for me?

Well, you can build financial centers. Freighters you control can't do civilian trade though. You can also assign civilian administrators with wealth creation bonuses to your largest colony (probably Earth).

You'll want as many colonies over 10 million as possible, I think that's when they start trading luxury goods. Civilian spaceports will make the trading faster, though I don't think they can be moved; they have to be built on site. 15% trade revenue compared to taxes is already pretty good though, and I doubt you'll be able to improve it that much.

Mostly though, if you're running a major wealth deficit in what sounds like a pretty good situation it probably means you're overly focused on production. Basically anything measured in points (build points, research points) costs wealth to do (1 point = 1 wealth). So if you're at a deficit, you might consider stopping construction of new factories or research labs, and concentrate on other things, like mines or military academies.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5804 on: August 20, 2011, 03:34:27 pm »

Possible solution is to cut back on military and exploration expenditures.  It is a very unpopular measure, can your politicians man up and cut the space defense department and NASA?

Perhaps the science department is eating your budget.  Cut down on funded research.
Expansion of ports?  Stop that if needed.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 1347