Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809312 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5685 on: August 08, 2011, 09:09:12 am »

I thought you could drag shipyards with tractor beams on ships.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5686 on: August 08, 2011, 09:10:09 am »

Yes you can. And an engineer brigade is a construction factory for game purpose. One that can excavate ruins.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5687 on: August 08, 2011, 09:28:28 am »

Anyone tried the new 5.51 patch? It would, of course, come out right after I start a new epic game.  ::)
I'm curious if it's worth patching and starting over--I'm about 40 years in from a conventional start, and have found two awesome systems with multiple potential colony worlds (although one system seems to have two different batches of Precursors guarding ruins...).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5688 on: August 08, 2011, 11:55:08 am »

Anyone tried the new 5.51 patch? It would, of course, come out right after I start a new epic game.  ::)
I'm curious if it's worth patching and starting over--I'm about 40 years in from a conventional start, and have found two awesome systems with multiple potential colony worlds (although one system seems to have two different batches of Precursors guarding ruins...).

I am, and I enjoy the new layout of the f2 screen list, but I don't think there's anything in 5.51 really worth starting a new game over.

I also had a weird bug where it reduced my missile fire controls on all ships to 0km range permanently.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #5689 on: August 08, 2011, 01:34:55 pm »

I am, and I enjoy the new layout of the f2 screen list, but I don't think there's anything in 5.51 really worth starting a new game over.

I also had a weird bug where it reduced my missile fire controls on all ships to 0km range permanently.
5.51 features changes to turret design, black holes and civilian colony ships that check what other ships are en route to a planet before embarking(so as to not overcrowd a planet with fifteen shiploads when it only has infrastructure for two).
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #5690 on: August 08, 2011, 02:30:40 pm »

I'd also say that 5.51 has a number of weird bugs, and it's probably best to wait for 5.52.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5691 on: August 08, 2011, 02:41:03 pm »

HOOOOOOO.... LEE SHEET.

I just found my first semi-colonizable planet in the first system I jumped into. Thankfully it seems the central region is devoid of alien life, which means I'm not getting nuked asap.

I geo-survey all the planets in the Earthly region and it turns out the ONE astro in the entire system that's colonizable (pretty much a Mars, atm) has...

26,500,000 Duranium, 7,450,000 Corbomite, 27,040,000 Tritanium, 3,550,000 Mercassium, 20,115,000 Vendarite, 40,676,000 SORIUM(!!!), 6,760,000 Corundium and 4,602,000 Gallicite.

God fucking damn.

Mars only has 30,000 corb, Venus doesn't have shit, mercury has some pocket change, and Luna has the most of Earth system.

Earth's minerals cap at 30,000 ish and some have already been depleted.

Now, my first extra-system colony and HOLYBBQFUCKSQUAD, I've got a good 500 MILLION minerals. o_o
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5692 on: August 08, 2011, 02:42:04 pm »

Let me guess: Accessibility 0.1 for all?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5693 on: August 08, 2011, 02:44:51 pm »

Yeah, massive stockpiles like that on planets tend to have super shitty accessibility.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5694 on: August 08, 2011, 03:02:57 pm »

Half are 0.7 to 0.4, 3-4 of them are 0.1 as you said.
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5695 on: August 08, 2011, 03:42:02 pm »

Half are 0.7 to 0.4, 3-4 of them are 0.1 as you said.
Drop a geo team down there, they work wonders.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5696 on: August 08, 2011, 03:52:48 pm »

WOO. I did, I've got a really good geo-team nearing 200 geo points, got to love an experienced 5-man team. :) Might take a while, but I do ALL my geo with those 5 guys, my 5 best surveyors who aren't civilian leaders in charge of colonies.

Tritanium accessibility just went from 0.1 to 1, thank you geo team!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5697 on: August 08, 2011, 04:34:18 pm »

If anyone cares, I'm writing a tiny review on a few system bodies with minerals.

Planets:
PROS:
  • Generally have good amounts of minerals
  • Pretty much the best place for manned mines, since any bodies rarely are suitable for life.
CONS:
  • The accessibility is usually terrifying, geo teams might work in raising it.

Asteroids:
PROS:
  • Space is full of 'em.
  • Can be mined with an asteroid mining module (derp)
  • Being a floating rock and all, the accessibility is usually in the higher numbers.
Not mining related, but these guys make great places to dump tracking stations near critical areas.
CONS:
  • The mineral count on these rocks is painfully low, barely worth the resources building the mining ship + mass driver/freighter.
  • There is no way in hell you are ever going to get a decent population on one of these things unless you have a massive habitat anchored to it.

Comets
My personal favorite, this thing is like a small planet with few of the cons.
PROS
  • Handsome amounts of minerals for being nothing more than a hugely-arced orbit asteroid.
  • They move a lot.
  • They have high accessibility compared to most bodies.
CONS
  • They move a lot. With basic engines (ion, magneto etc.) the figures on fuel use is terrifying when hauling out mines and such to one of these rocks.
Gas giants are basically planets except they only (or pretty much) have sorium on them, usually I find it around the 500,000 range in Sol. You need sorium harvesters on a ship to exploit it, since you can't build a colony on a gas giant IIRC since there really isn't any ground.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 08:16:15 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5698 on: August 08, 2011, 09:13:55 pm »

You forgot some cons on Comets:

You can't put a population on them unless you use orbital habitats.
Long, multi-tens-billion km distance Comets are just not worth your time unless it's getting very close to the center of the system.
Minerals will never reach that of a planet's resources despite high accessibility. Unless you're fine with micromanagement and burning fuel, several high-accessibility Comets are usually not worth setting mines up on them when you can set them up on a planet that has more resources, even if at lower accessibility.

Also, moons:

Pros: Depending on the size, usually the same as a planet.
There are a lot more of these than planets. A LOT MORE.

Cons: Depending on the size, usually the same as a planet.
They tend to be smaller than most planets.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:15:46 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5699 on: August 08, 2011, 09:34:04 pm »

I assumed anyone could guess you couldn't put a ground-based population on a comet. ;D

The rest are good points.
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 1347