Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813983 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5385 on: July 06, 2011, 12:01:34 pm »

Well, keep in mind that the Est Time assumes that the part that uses the most supplies get broken every time, which is obviously not the case. So in practice the estimated time is way to low. So you don't want to have a fuel range lower than the estimated time.
And I am pretty sure you're wrong about the active sensor < passive. But it obviously depends on tech and on the size of the enemy ship compared to their engines. And if an active sensor is larger than 1HS it is considered military, which isn't good if you have dedicated geosurvey ships.
Also: if you do split the survey ships, make sure the geo ship will be classified as a commercial ship.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #5386 on: July 06, 2011, 12:19:48 pm »

Your ship is not exactly slow for your current engine technology. You may wish to add another engine though, as a faster ship gets to diffenrent places, something a survey ship usually does, sooner.

A range of 95.2B is very long at start, but it might actually become a bit short for a survey ship when you squadron-jump the ship to other systems, as some systems could have a radius of some tens of billions of kilometers, with the solar system's being slightly more than 2 billion in comparision. Some people also uses commercial engine on survey ships, which would reduce fuel consumption, give a longer range, and make the ship free of maintainance failures as long as it mets other standards of a commercial ship(Gravsurvey sensors, weapons except CIWS, sensors larger than 1 HS, and some other things make the ship military even if it uses commercial engine, if memory serves).

Also...It could be a bit slow to do all the surveying with just one sensor of a type on board, unless you plan to deploy these ships in pairs. A dedicated geological, or gravitational survey ship would probably be better, but that's a matter of personal preference. Also make sure to assign them, and one of those departments(forgot the name) at Fleet HQ, officers with high survey bonuses.

Fake-edit: Ninja'd by three posts...Speaking of active sensors, a range of 3.2m is not really good enough for anything except for missile defence at resolution 1, as most missiles have a range much longer than that. If you meet something that might actually warrant the use of them, your ship will probably be already dead before ever seeing anything except missiles at point-blank with this sensor.

A maintainance estimated time roughly matching or slightly longer than fuel range time is good...At least for me. Always helps to have a few more spare parts on hand, though.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: July 06, 2011, 12:32:54 pm »

I was wrong about active sensors being the worst sensor for commercial vessels because of the size limits... Passive sensor will get military too if they are more than 1HS.

EDIT:
 *checking my own survey ships*
Est time > range
hehe  :-X
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 12:48:02 pm by Dutchling »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5388 on: July 06, 2011, 01:50:46 pm »

I'd like to remind you that while a survey ship is surveying, it doesn't use fuel but still need maintenance. So Est/ Time should be longer thand range.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5389 on: July 07, 2011, 07:53:29 am »

I know a star can orbit another star (or orbit each other?) but I'm pretty sure that a planet orbiting a star cannot be further away from his star than another star that is orbiting said star.

tl;dr star star star star star star

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5390 on: July 07, 2011, 11:48:37 am »

Is there any way of telling civilians to stop trying to send crap to specific planets? I've got a system with about 9 inhabitable planets about .2 LY from the central star (aka ~4500 days at 5000 km/s, and my freighters/colony ships don't reach that by a decent margin still), having terraformed one to 0 colony cost easily, the civilians are stupidly trying to ship colonists there, and naturally, they don't know how to use the lagrange points, which means either I constantly watch my civilian's plans, or watch them bleed ships out of idiocy.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5391 on: July 07, 2011, 12:28:18 pm »

At least your civvies have ships... I've given mine a ton of cash and they don't have any ships. Do they only ship to inhabited world?
Also: ALIENS! My first alien encounter... It is are ships with beam/kinetic weapons and they killed my survey ship. It isn't a normal NPR or invader because I disabled those so I hope they don't ho through the jump point. It is one jump from sol and I don't have a very large fleet (1 missile cruiser)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5392 on: July 07, 2011, 12:51:17 pm »

I know a star can orbit another star (or orbit each other?) but I'm pretty sure that a planet orbiting a star cannot be further away from his star than another star that is orbiting said star.

tl;dr star star star star star star

In real life?

This depends on the relative distances and masses involved.

The first thing you need to realize is that nothing orbits anything else directly.

In a classic 2 body system with similar mass (2 stars) the two bodies orbit around the barycenter that is their combined center of mass.

In a classic 2 body system with dissimilar mass (star and planet) the two bodies orbit around the barycenter that is the combined center of mass.
That center is may be very close to the center of the more massive body, making it seem like the lesser object orbits the greater.

In an N body system with relatively stable orbits, all objects will orbit "a" barycenter within the system, and those barycenters will orbit combined barycenters.
It is a gross simplification, but from a sufficient distance, a pair of close stars is gravitationally similar to a slightly larger single star.

So you wont get:

star-----star-----planet

but you might get:

star--star---------------------planet
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5393 on: July 07, 2011, 04:01:21 pm »

Code: [Select]
Johan de Witt class Sensor Ship    5,600 tons     431 Crew     939.4 BP      TCS 112  TH 280  EM 0
2500 km/s     Armour 5-28     Shields 0-0     Sensors 60/60/0/0     Damage Control Rating 5     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 50%    IFR: 0.7%    Maint Capacity 1524 MSP    Max Repair 280 MSP    Est Time: 4.17 Years

Military P40 Nuclear Pulse Engine (7)    Power 40    Fuel Use 100%    Signature 40    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 350,000 Litres    Range 112.5 billion km   (520 days at full power)

Active Search Sensor MR31-R40 (1)     GPS 3360     Range 31.9m km    Resolution 40
Active Search Sensor MR168-R100 (1)     GPS 28000     Range 168.0m km    Resolution 100
Thermal Sensor TH10-60 (1)     Sensitivity 60     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  60m km
EM Detection Sensor EM10-60 (1)     Sensitivity 60     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  60m km

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

I'd suggest making the sensor ship a civilian vessel, so you don't have to pay maintenance, and your military shipyards can focus on building warships.  Just swap out the military engine for a civilian one, and it will automatically change to a civilian vessel.  I'd also suggest adding CIWS, which will not change the ship to military, but will help with survivability.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5394 on: July 07, 2011, 04:06:07 pm »

Code: [Select]
Johan de Witt class Sensor Ship    5,600 tons     431 Crew     939.4 BP      TCS 112  TH 280  EM 0
2500 km/s     Armour 5-28     Shields 0-0     Sensors 60/60/0/0     Damage Control Rating 5     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 50%    IFR: 0.7%    Maint Capacity 1524 MSP    Max Repair 280 MSP    Est Time: 4.17 Years

Military P40 Nuclear Pulse Engine (7)    Power 40    Fuel Use 100%    Signature 40    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 350,000 Litres    Range 112.5 billion km   (520 days at full power)

Active Search Sensor MR31-R40 (1)     GPS 3360     Range 31.9m km    Resolution 40
Active Search Sensor MR168-R100 (1)     GPS 28000     Range 168.0m km    Resolution 100
Thermal Sensor TH10-60 (1)     Sensitivity 60     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  60m km
EM Detection Sensor EM10-60 (1)     Sensitivity 60     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  60m km

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

I'd suggest making the sensor ship a civilian vessel, so you don't have to pay maintenance, and your military shipyards can focus on building warships.  Just swap out the military engine for a civilian one, and it will automatically change to a civilian vessel.  I'd also suggest adding CIWS, which will not change the ship to military, but will help with survivability.
Active sensors count as military components.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5395 on: July 07, 2011, 05:05:52 pm »

Actually, not all active sensors count as military components.  Although, it appears that better active sensors are in fact military components, so my mistake.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5396 on: July 07, 2011, 05:25:25 pm »

Any sensor over 1 HS does.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: July 07, 2011, 05:29:03 pm »

Any sensor over 1 HS does.
Oh, nice! I'm going to have to revise my next surveyor designs.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: July 07, 2011, 11:13:32 pm »

So is there any reason not to use civilian contracts for most of your shipping needs past early game? Besides specialized missions and start ups, of course.

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5399 on: July 08, 2011, 03:32:02 am »

Asking again, does anyone have a way to tell civilians to $&%# off from certain planets?

I've just tried: Setting the population to something big-they started sending freighters for trade goods, and those are even slower, fail
Creating a second JP connecting the outer star to Sol-civs ignored it completely
Creating an entirely new system connected only to the 2 JPs I'd previously created, I figured maybe they were confused at which JP to use or something (or at least, I was as well)-ended up even worse somehow... I've got civ ships that are attempting to move stuff from Earth to Titan... by going into the big system, crossing the 0.2 LY between the 2 stars there, then going through the new system I'd created and exiting through the new JP in Sol, which is right bloody next to the JP into the big system... I seem to have completely BROKEN the AI pathfinding...

At this point I think I'm just going to have to give up on civilians this game and just shovel funds into the 4 companies I've got, and hope not too many end up on trips that will take them 50 years (do civs run out of fuel?).
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 1347