Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813827 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5340 on: June 30, 2011, 10:03:54 pm »

@ Geen: It also recommended to own and use at least three monitors. A liquid-nitrogen-cooled supercomputer helps as well. The next version will have such amazing graphics that Crysis-capable systems will be brought to their knees, so better get on that  ;D
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5341 on: June 30, 2011, 10:11:52 pm »

@ Geen: It also recommended to own and use at least three monitors. A liquid-nitrogen-cooled supercomputer helps as well. The next version will have such amazing graphics that Crysis-capable systems will be brought to their knees, so better get on that  ;D

Note to viewers: By "such amazing graphics", Sirus does, of course, mean "spreadsheets so large no modern computer can display them."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5342 on: June 30, 2011, 10:15:09 pm »

Note to viewers: By "such amazing graphics", Sirus does, of course, mean "spreadsheets so large no modern computer can display them."
Very very shiny spreadsheets! With HDR! High definition! You'd swear that someone taped spreadsheets to your monitor(s), that's how realistic they'll be!
I'll stop now  :P

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5343 on: July 01, 2011, 02:36:11 am »

I have never used it though, so it might not work like that.

it doesn't. you select a number of turns, and then click a time increment. the game will then try to make 20 turns.

for example, I tick the box, I write 20 and then click 8 hours.

if nothing interrupts the game, I'll have 20 8-hours turns.
if some hateful aliens are fighting, then I'll most likely have 20 5-seconds turns

which means... don't try using it with 30 days increments... if whatever is causing the short turns stops after 10 turns... then you have 300 days in which you can do absolutely nothing.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5344 on: July 01, 2011, 09:40:58 am »

Go here: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/board,101.0.html
Tutorials made by the creator, Steve.
Note that the last few are accidentally removed but are located at the wiki.
AFAIK it doesn't say anything about mining colonies, mass drivers, missile ships and jump point travel though, but it is a great way to learn the basics of the interface :)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5345 on: July 02, 2011, 01:30:38 am »

Ok, I'm somewhat pissed at Aurora right now >:|

I decided to make a new game in a SM-generated system. I eventually got a 0.0 planet in a trinary system, with several potential colony worlds orbiting all three stars.

I make my race and plunk them down on the 0.0 world, then instant some techs to get started. I click the 30 days button...

And am immediately interrupted by the launching of several unknown ships from two other races that somehow generated on the same world. Oddly, both of them were "human". I go to the diplomacy screen and delete the races, only to have another pop up (which is promptly deleted). This clears the diplomacy screen, but the System View window still lists three separate races on my world.
Worse? At least some of the alien ships were warships, which are firing on my people  :'(

How did this happen?!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5346 on: July 02, 2011, 05:21:21 am »

You need more systems or you slammed 3 systems into once place, which gives you a 90% or 150% chance of civ generation?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5347 on: July 02, 2011, 05:48:04 am »

How do you remove all precursors? I seem to be unable to advance time because of them and I'd like to continue playing my game =(
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,3796.msg36730.html#msg36730

EDIT: Events log says it's probably them NPR's :(
Guess I'l start without them and hope the swarm and precursors are fun.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 07:42:35 am by Dutchling »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5348 on: July 02, 2011, 11:41:51 am »

You need more systems or you slammed 3 systems into once place, which gives you a 90% or 150% chance of civ generation?
One system, three stars. Should still only be a 30% chance, and even so I don't think it spawns NPRs when you're attempting to generate a new system. Besides, at least the first three NPRs were all labeled "Human". I think the program might have glitched when I tried to create my empire and stuck a few extras down there.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5349 on: July 03, 2011, 04:09:19 am »

I think the game supports multiple nations of the same race on the same planet.  So the USSR and the US could both live on the same planet, or whatever.  Try wiping them out with ground forces.  Not sure how though, I just learned how to move fleets earlier today. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5350 on: July 03, 2011, 06:30:25 am »

How do i make civvies do stuff for me or subside them?
EDIT: think I found it
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 08:04:09 am by Dutchling »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5351 on: July 03, 2011, 01:33:32 pm »

Finally, unmuted!

Subsidizing (?) them gives them some cash. Give them enough to make a colony ship/freighter/luxury liner to get them off their feet.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5352 on: July 04, 2011, 12:31:20 am »

(Page 2? BLASPHEMY)
Anyway, what are all the levels and conditions for ruins? I found a destroyed outpost on some random planet.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5353 on: July 04, 2011, 12:36:14 am »

I think it's outpost-facility(?)-colony-settlement-city. With ruined/destroyed being the worst with the least facilities, partially X being the middle, and intact/abandoned being the best with the most facilities.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5354 on: July 04, 2011, 01:25:47 am »

I found 2 ships of the same class, hostile, they had some 5 cryo chambers and 16 or so cargo handling systems, along with a CIWS or two and various other parts. They weren't interesting, they rammed anything that got too close to the planet they camped and never chased the hostile. They were right on top of the destroyed outpost so I assume precursors.
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 1347