Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809897 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5280 on: June 28, 2011, 04:21:11 am »

Yeah my planet didn't have enough Maint Facilities. Now my sensor ship exploded and I also abandoned my laser ships. I have now added 40 engineering sections to them so the annual failure rate is 50% instead of 200%...
The ships are both quite a bit larger now so I'll make some MF's before building them.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: June 28, 2011, 08:26:26 am »

You want to look at the estimated time more then the annual failure rate. Here's an example:

Code: [Select]
Clairvaux class Light Carrier    14,000 tons     819 Crew     2044.4 BP      TCS 280  TH 570  EM 540
4071 km/s     Armour 3-51     Shields 18-400     Sensors 12/16/0/0     Damage Control Rating 4     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 348%    IFR: 4.8%    Maint Capacity 411 MSP    Max Repair 80 MSP    Est Time: 1.24 Years
Hangar Deck Capacity 3000 tons     Magazine 850   

Matsumoto IE-M8 (19)    Power 60    Fuel Use 80%    Signature 30    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 1,000,000 Litres    Range 160.7 billion km   (456 days at full power)
Gamma R400/16 Shields (9)   Total Fuel Cost  144 Litres per day

AGM-5A 'Lance' FTR Guided Missile (284)  Speed: 20,400 km/s   End: 9.2m    Range: 11.3m km   WH: 6    Size: 3    TH: 88 / 53 / 26

O/SPS-28 Search Sensor (1)     GPS 5120     Range 45.8m km    Resolution 80
O/SQR-22 Thermal Sensor (1)     Sensitivity 12     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  12m km
O/SDR-20 Electromagnetic Sensor (1)     Sensitivity 16     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  16m km

Strike Group
12x Crusade Fighter   Speed: 8260 km/s    Size: 4.6

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

The ship is guaranteed to suffer some maintenance failures within a year, but it has enough maintenance supplies to last for a year and a half before things start going unfixed. Since I've never had to deploy my fleet for more then a month or two in this game, this is more then enough. Decide how long you'd like your ships to remain in space without an overhaul and tweak the engineering sections to match that.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: June 28, 2011, 08:35:21 am »

The Aurora forums look strangely... familiar now... but I can't place my finger on where I've seen that layout before.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5283 on: June 28, 2011, 08:52:07 am »

Make sure you have enough maintenance facilities on your fleet base planets. You need 1 facility per 200 tons (or 5 per 1000 tons). If you don't park your ships at a planet with enough facilities, they'll start accumulating wear and tear.
You also have to ensure the fleet maintenance planets have a good supply of minerals. Maintenance costs minerals over time.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: June 28, 2011, 09:09:02 am »

The Aurora forums look strangely... familiar now... but I can't place my finger on where I've seen that layout before.

That wouldn't happen to be here, would it?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: June 28, 2011, 02:33:07 pm »

That wouldn't happen to be here, would it?
It's the same Core theme. So yeah, no wonder he finds it similar.

Edit: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,3784.0/topicseen.html

BLACK HOLES ARE GOING INTO THE NEXT VERSION. That should be interesting!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 02:57:31 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: June 28, 2011, 06:44:50 pm »

No shit?

*reads*

Wow...sounds kinda epic. I like the suggestion one user posted that moving towards the hole makes your ships move faster, while moving away is slower. The idea of all-or-nothing fights, with crippled ships slowly being pulled in, helpless, is a scary-yet-almost dwarvenly one.

Here's hoping that current saves will be compatible!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5287 on: June 28, 2011, 06:57:51 pm »

No shit?

*reads*

Wow...sounds kinda epic. I like the suggestion one user posted that moving towards the hole makes your ships move faster, while moving away is slower. The idea of all-or-nothing fights, with crippled ships slowly being pulled in, helpless, is a scary-yet-almost dwarvenly one.

I don't like the suggestion at all. The entire point of TN technology being such a revolution is that it isn't affected by things like inertia or gravity. That is what makes it Transnewtonian.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: June 28, 2011, 07:00:26 pm »

No shit?

*reads*

I don't like the suggestion at all. The entire point of TN technology being such a revolution is that it isn't affected by things like inertia or gravity. That is what makes it Transnewtonian.
Specially considering that blackholes pull at any given distance is the same as any other body with the same mass and same distance. Blackholes are just much smaller, and so allows a region of space where the pull is stronger (gravity being reduced by the square of distance and all...)
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5289 on: June 28, 2011, 07:01:42 pm »

Overall, the way he's putting it in makes it kind of a silly phenomenon. "Oh my, if I have a speed of 4001km/s I am entirely safe from all black holes evar! I can even fly right next to it!"

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: June 28, 2011, 07:07:12 pm »

Awwww, don't be a killjoy. It'll be fun.

Overall, the way he's putting it in makes it kind of a silly phenomenon. "Oh my, if I have a speed of 4001km/s I am entirely safe from all black holes evar! I can even fly right next to it!"
The size of the black hole may or may not account for the point that it starts ripping ships apart.

Really, if it sounds like it has problems, you should tell him.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5291 on: June 28, 2011, 07:13:15 pm »

Wanting internal consistency in a game isn't being a killjoy. The entire premise of TN technology is that the ships do not need to deal with common forces like gravity and inertia which plague current space operation.

Really, if it sounds like it has problems, you should tell him.
Steve has historically been ambivalent at best about people criticizing him for game decisions, and has at worst threatened to stop working on aurora entirely. I'll just wait and see. I like the idea of putting black holes in, and if he does it as advertised I'll be fine with them. I don't make ships that slow anyway so they will have little effect on me. Honestly if I roll up a black hole system I will probably just delete it in SM mode and re-explore the wormhole anyway, because I think they're a bit daft. If he made some other interesting gameplay considerations go into it, like black holes acting as a jump point nexus and always having like 8-10 points which do not obey the 'near systems' rule and could connect to any system number, that may be interesting. Or letting us establish am orbital science base around them to gain a research bonus, perhaps...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: June 28, 2011, 07:23:15 pm »

I'm not seeing it as any different from the nebula which slow ships down. Besides, I'm sure you could handwave the effects somehow. Don't black holes emit large amounts of x-rays? Perhaps they react badly with sorium, reducing engine efficiency and potentially bringing ships to a dead halt.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5293 on: June 28, 2011, 07:29:44 pm »

I'm not seeing it as any different from the nebula which slow ships down. Besides, I'm sure you could handwave the effects somehow. Don't black holes emit large amounts of x-rays? Perhaps they react badly with sorium, reducing engine efficiency and potentially bringing ships to a dead halt.
-shrug- As I said, its a silly mechanic but its not one I care enough about to stop playing. Nebula annoy me too, for similar reasons. The only thing it does is hinder you, without any interesting gameplay considerations. Why not allow us to set up sorium harvesters in a nebula, or add some nebula effects on ships or something? Whatever he does, I'll still play because it's the only game that does what it does. :)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: June 28, 2011, 07:30:55 pm »

Wanting internal consistency in a game isn't being a killjoy. The entire premise of TN technology is that the ships do not need to deal with common forces like gravity and inertia which plague current space operation.
You're a killjoy for ruining our oooohhhing of the black holes. :P

Steve has historically been ambivalent at best about people criticizing him for game decisions, and has at worst threatened to stop working on aurora entirely.
I know this thread has an example, but to me it only appears to be from an extremely negative comment loaded with cussing words. So do you have any other examples? Just wondering, because his posts make him seem like he has a pretty cool head.
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 1347