Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817242 times)

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #510 on: January 15, 2010, 10:53:58 pm »

Well I don't believe the sub pulse believe is working...my game is in a complete crawl right now :-\

Do you have it set to Auto or the the most right option (1 day)?

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #511 on: January 15, 2010, 11:00:06 pm »

Because I'm fairly sure from reading the forums the NPRs can set the sub-pulse as well. What you're doing when you set it is saying to the engine "I'm not doing anything important, so only bother checking every day if something's happened." But the engine asks the same question to every NPR as well, and then it takes all the answers it got from everyone and then uses the smallest sub-pulse requested by any of the races.

You see from what I understand the NPRs are built with the idea that they only have the same tools as the player, so when they're at war it works exactly the same way it does for us (that is it'll only update stuff on the sub pulse). So if you imagine the roles were reversed for a moment, you're in a tense battle where every minute or so you need an update so you can plan your strategy (maybe tell your PD to fire, or adjust your heading) but just after your enemy starts to close on your ships the game advances a whole day because one of the NPRs had set the sub-pulse to a day because they had nothing interesting going on and wanted their research to finish... after the sub-pulse is done with the calculations you're presented with the enemy ship sitting just in front of yours, having advanced the whole way unchallenged and on the very next pulse you get owned because it fires with all it's short-range but super powerful lasers. Or you just get told your ship got blown up because just before the sub-pulse the enemy launched a salvo of missiles, but without you to guide your ship it just sat there doing nothing until it got hit.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 15, 2010, 11:03:21 pm »

That's not true. Sub pulses are just a means for players to determine how often they want to be updated with events. When put on auto important events from the npr will always be adjusted to even if the player can't see that event. (missle firing/etc) And you can force the sub pulses to static rates with those buttons. So setting it to 1 day will always force at least a minimum of 1 day passing if you hit the 1 day or above increment button.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #513 on: January 15, 2010, 11:03:30 pm »

Just to clarify: That last part with the role reversal was an example, with you assuming the role of an NPR. I wasn't meaning to imply an NPR can set the sub-pulse to a day if you want it by the minute heh, but hopefully it illustrated my point why the engine uses the smallest sub-pulse requested by any empire rather than only caring what the player wants. It works the same way for multi player games, also. Only in those cases you need an SM to generate the turns and to decide when there's something worth stopping the generation for to send to the players.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #514 on: January 15, 2010, 11:05:47 pm »

Are you sure about that Empty, because I'm certain my direct experience with the game is contrary to what you're claiming here (where the game stopped every 6 hours regardless of sub-pulse length set by myself)

Of course, the auto-turn works regardless how often the game stops, but it meant that it took 30 minutes to advance any appreciable distance of time in game. I'll check the forums again unless you happen to have a link handy that can save me the bother :)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 15, 2010, 11:07:03 pm »

Yeah, I also believe it works like that.

Its past some time already, and it STILL runs intervals of 5 seconds...
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 15, 2010, 11:08:38 pm »

Hmm. What version are you guys playing?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 15, 2010, 11:11:29 pm »

I'm gonna eat something and watch tv.

This friggin battle can't take more than 30 days on auto sub pulse.
If I come back and these guys are still on it, I'm going to delete them with my godly powers of cheat.

Come on, I'm not even into space and those people are already ruining my game.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #518 on: January 15, 2010, 11:13:48 pm »

My experience comes from 4.77, I haven't played much on 4.8 yet though I have updated but didn't get chance to do much more than set up the game.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 15, 2010, 11:14:35 pm »

YES! I found a hostile aliens 1 jump from my very own system. Yay! Am i in the club, Kael? Lucky me, i've actually got combat-able ships! Maybe i can fend them off. Yay!

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 15, 2010, 11:15:32 pm »

PLEASE do so x2, avenge your friend here that can't play due to computer controlled expansionist bitches

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 15, 2010, 11:36:50 pm »

[I'm running a SM game right now, and got a race of lizard-like people with a homeworld and everything in a binary star system. The empire name is Therataan Confederation, so T.C.S.S.=Therataan Confederation Space Ship]

"The Science Vessel T.C.S.S. Ganymede ceased transponder signals on January 21st, a mere 21 days after it's commisioning. A gunship squadron was despatched to the Tau Ceti system, in orbit of the fourth orbiting body, a nigh earth-like planet. There they detected life pods. Of the 237 crew members onboard the vessel, 57 survived. That of wich did not include the captain, Nlaso Urima. From the survivors reports, a unkown contact attacked them with lasers, thoroughly crippling them early in with a massive blast to their engineering section. As such they made haste to the life pods, but they could only hold so many. The Tau Ceti system. One jump away from their home starsystem. When the Squadron reached the homeworld and dropped the survivors off, they made contact with high command to inform them of their discoveries. The public was not informed.

As of current, a secret project codenamed "Black Sun" is being undertaken. It will utilize state-of-the-art sensor technology, and collier designs that have not yet seen the light of day. The planned expeditionary extermination force is as follows:

2x Gunship squadrons
1x Collier squadron
1x transport ship wich will transport 5 battalions to the planet to invade it.

If ground combat does not prevail, extreme measures will be taken. The planet will be bombarded to a frozen, radioactive wasteland by multiple missiles. The expected end of the conflict is estimated to be in one decade, hopefully. The government wants this to remain of utmost secrecy."

-Report on the Tau Ceti incident, Head of intelligence Mbalenhle Shabangu

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 15, 2010, 11:54:37 pm »

Nice x2, good luck.
Of course you take inspiration in StarQuest Online! haha :]

I had no luck with the aliens fighting themselves..I can't play.
And I can't do anything to help myself in SM mode :(

--
Just saw the SM Mode event view, there is some heavy fighting happening between two aliens..one is invading another, lots of targeting and stuff..
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 11:57:50 pm by Gabeux »

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 15, 2010, 11:58:36 pm »

Thanks.

My expeditionary force has just been completed, now the hard part-Getting them to the system. Once the way is paved and clear for the defenseless troop transports to come in i'll commence the invasion of the planet. Tau Ceti! Hah, in SQO that's the Celays homeworld :\. Though, they're a backward fish species in SQO.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 16, 2010, 12:09:24 am »

Alright. Everything is in order. Through the breach men!

I will post how the combat goes. I hope it goes good, i want this system devoid of all life by the end of the decade.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 1347