Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810388 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #4695 on: April 27, 2011, 10:05:59 pm »

Alright, reading Old Man's War, and I really want to create a game in Aurora similar to the scenario in Old Man's War. For those of you who don't know: Genetically Modified human bodies fight against a shitton of aliens. 20 Billion Humans against 4 trillion aliens. Also, there are few habitable planets. Basically, a WARRRRR scenario.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: April 27, 2011, 10:34:33 pm »

Just curious, but how many Katyushas do you fire per volley?

My current missile destroyer design:
Spoiler: Artemis-B (click to show/hide)

has 15 launch tubes. 4 Artemis-class destroyers to a battle squadron, so 60 per salvo, in 4 groups of 15. With a rate of fire of 450s and enough ammo for seven full salvos. It's not a lot of staying power, but so far the combats have been short and ugly, and close to my supply lines.

Hmm...I think the Molotoks might have been in a different game. In this one, they're currently only in use by PDCs.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4697 on: April 27, 2011, 10:44:33 pm »

Can you use tractor beams on enemy vessels?

It would be funny to make little tractor tugs which ran out and latched on to enemies to slow them

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4698 on: April 28, 2011, 10:46:25 am »

Erm... How on earth you build an ship. I have followed the instructions from the tutorial and designed it, but I cannot build it in the shipyards. My ship class does not appear on neither Naval or Commercial ports, and after checking industry page - and many other places - I cannot seem to find a way to build the ship.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: April 28, 2011, 10:48:10 am »

Did you retool the shipyard for that class? You need to select retool shipyard in the shipyard activities, thens elect the class.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4700 on: April 28, 2011, 10:51:27 am »

Thank you! That did the trick.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: April 29, 2011, 03:08:01 pm »

Does anyone how deep space tracking station work precisely? Are they EM sensors, Thermal, Active, a combination of them, or what?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: April 29, 2011, 03:16:08 pm »

I think it's both Thermal and EM. No actives, though.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: April 29, 2011, 03:23:47 pm »

IIRC a single Deep Space Tracking Station is 50 HS (for cargo purposes) and counts as both a 50 HS EM sensor and a 50 HS thermal sensor.  Sensor strength is determined by your Planetary Sensor Strength technology, not your EM/TH techs.  Something like that.

Also, unlike ship sensors, tracking stations stack linearly.  If a colony has 10 tracking stations, they function as a 500 HS sensor.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: April 29, 2011, 03:47:48 pm »

what sensor strength would I need to cover a whole system? assuming 3000 ton targets.

a good planetary sensor network could save me many worries without having to keep ships at jump points. ( it is already bad enough to overhaul the 2 guard ships on one of the colonized systems every 10-15 years)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: April 29, 2011, 03:53:05 pm »

what sensor strength would I need to cover a whole system? assuming 3000 ton targets.
Deep Space sensors do not have Active sensors, they have Thermal and EM. Neither work by tonnage, but by Engine emissions and Shields/Active Sensor emissions respectively. So there's no one size fits all. Some enemy ships could be blind and have no shields, thus having no EM signature. Some could have huge engines while being tiny or very little while still being big.

As for Active Sensors, you'll need a buttload of VERY high tech sensors in order to cover an entire system. Don't even try.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: April 29, 2011, 03:55:22 pm »

don't try you say? I'll try!

( target distance however is 10 billion Km, since active sensors don't stack as nicely as planetary passive sensors.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 03:59:45 pm by andrea »

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: April 29, 2011, 05:13:16 pm »

As for Active Sensors, you'll need a buttload of VERY high tech sensors in order to cover an entire system. Don't even try.

I put a single PDC with a size 50 active sensor on all of my colonies, along with a few missile bases with missile fire control and extremely long range missiles to match. In Sol the sensor on Earth covers out to between the orbits of Jupiter and Saturn, and includes most of the system's jump points. If a war breaks out I also have plans for system defense FACs with box launchers that can take advantage of the provided sensor coverage to volley their missiles while undetected and then return to their hangars for a reload. Because those 1.5 billion kilometer range missiles cost a fortune.

That's not to say that deep space tracking stations are useless; they don't require populations to run, so I usually put 10-20 on a moon in any uninhabited system as a sort of garrison/early warning system. You can use the system map to tell what their ranges are vs a given emission rating; I aim for 700 since that's the thermal emissions rating of my fairly small survey ships.

Putting only tracking stations on an otherwise empty colony even causes the game to label it as a "listening post", so I assume it's intended gameplay.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: April 29, 2011, 05:27:22 pm »

I typically have my home world's detection systems as purely passive. I mean, once you get, say, 50 or so tracking stations, you can detect a missile launch out to the orbit of Mars or further.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: April 29, 2011, 05:30:58 pm »

Aurora
Forgive me if I don't read through all 315 pages of this thread, but I'm having some issues getting Aurora to work. I can start up the game just fine, but it seems to generate regular errors during gameplay, and in March of my first year it crashed. Some of the errors seem minor, like simply pressing the button to generate random ship class names half a dozen times generating a database error, to others that are totally gamebreaking, like the above mentioned fatal crash.

As many errors as I'm seeing doing such casual things as trying to design ship and advancing time...the game is unplayable. I mean, sure....I can do things and sometimes go 5-10 minutes without seeing an error message, but if the game has so many bugs that simply generating random ship names causes database errors, I'm not going to invest weeks to learn to play it only to run into bigger bugs later on.

So...questions:

1) Are others having these problems as well? Is this just how it is, or is my experience unusual? I've glanced through the Aurora forums, and I occassionally see others commenting that they "played a game for 60 years and then had to abandon it because it just stopped working." Is the game really in that bad condition, or is it more stable under certain versions of windows, or...what's the deal?

2) Are there other versions that are more stable? I'm using version 5.42. Is this an unstable version with known problems? Would I get more reliable gameplay using 5.4 or 4.91? If I used one of those versions instead, how much would I be missing out on?

3) Is it possible I'm installing it incorrectly? The install files seem very...poorly maintained. As is, I've installed by running the 4.91 executable, then unzipping the 5.4 files into the 4.91 install directory, then unzipping the 5.42 files in after that. From the directions spread out on each download, that appears to be the proper method. Is there something I've missed?

Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 1347