Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810854 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #4545 on: April 18, 2011, 02:09:32 am »

According to Steve, it increases the speed that they repair things. He didn't give the exact formula, though.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4546 on: April 18, 2011, 02:14:45 am »

According to Steve, it increases the speed that they repair things. He didn't give the exact formula, though.
Ahh, thanks. So its not vital but nice to have.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: April 18, 2011, 02:31:00 am »

So, I keep on getting interruptions in my time increments due to geosurvey data from other races.

I would like to keep the data but stop the delay. Is that possible, or do i have to turn data sharing off?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4548 on: April 18, 2011, 02:50:23 am »

I know you can filter the event announcements, I don't know if that will stop the interrupts.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: April 18, 2011, 08:48:02 am »

Wait, what? Designing a jump tender to accompany my missile destroyers, and so it seems that military jump drives does not make my ship military. Is that correct?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4550 on: April 18, 2011, 08:57:47 am »

Yup it is. Military jump drive only means it can be used to make military ships jump.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: April 18, 2011, 09:03:58 am »

That's awesome. I was afraid I was going to have to load my jump tender with engineering spaces and maintenance storage to allow it to wait for a long time at the JP.
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4552 on: April 18, 2011, 03:26:12 pm »

Though as far as I am aware, military jump drives only work for ships with military engines. Wouldn't that include the tender itself?

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: April 18, 2011, 03:34:01 pm »

Though as far as I am aware, military jump drives only work for ships with military engines. Wouldn't that include the tender itself?

I believe that they work for both kinds of engine, but the commercial drive cannot work for military drives. I might be wrong, my tender only had to jump through gates until now. I parked it right outside the system I some precursors are in, which I put a one way jump gate to the system. My first attempt got all my ships killed (although their anti missile missiles proved to be quite good while they lasted).

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: April 18, 2011, 06:30:31 pm »

I believe that they work for both kinds of engine, but the commercial drive cannot work for military drives engines. I might be wrong...
I'm pretty sure you're right.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4555 on: April 18, 2011, 06:36:27 pm »

Good to know!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: April 18, 2011, 06:50:45 pm »

Man I wish there was a trimmed-down version of this game or a skirmish mode.  Like "Gratuitous Space Battles".  N research points, Y construction points, Z iterations of fighting similar enemies and an ability to send probes to guess at what you'll be fighting, go wild.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: April 18, 2011, 06:53:20 pm »

Sowelu, you can totally do that.  Set the starting galaxy size way down (to like 5 systems), have one starting NPR and a load of starting RP. Design and then SM-spawn a bunch of ships and then go next door and say hi.  Adjust the NPR difficulty if you like.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: April 19, 2011, 07:31:24 am »

I finally managed to design some semi-functional warships, but I found a very basic design flaw: I can't use point defense.
how do I do it? I try to assign a point defense mode to a fire control, but for some reason when I move to another ship and then I select the first ship again, the point defense mode is back to "none". what are the requirements to assign a fire control to point defense mode?

also, in a system I met some ships, going at 10'000km/s, which active sensors show to be 1000 tons. and they fire rather big salvos of missiles ( warhead power 5).. what kind of tech do I need to create such a ship? It is way beyond my actual tech level...
luckily, their fire rate was incredibly terrible.

is it possible to get something from wrecks beside resources? they had a small ( thermal signature 5) colony on a planet, but I destroyed it out of rage for the ships I lost, crippling my chances to get any tech out of the war.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4559 on: April 19, 2011, 08:18:00 am »

I met some ships, going at 10'000km/s, which active sensors show to be 1000 tons. and they fire rather big salvos of missiles ( warhead power 5).. what kind of tech do I need to create such a ship? It is way beyond my actual tech level...

Probably not as far out of your reach as you might think - they were almost certainly gunboats. They use Fast Attack Craft Engines, which are about as powerful as two normal military engines, only weigh as much as one, and are 10x more fuel inefficient. Anyway, the important thing is that since they pack so much thrust into such a small space, you can get really fast ships with them. Just playing around in the ship designer, it looks like you can get that kind of speed from an Internal Confinement Fusion Drive. An Ion Engine would have you going 6,000, Magneto-Plasma would be 8,000.

The missile launchers were probably 33% or 25% size, which lets you pack a bunch in a ship, but drastically increases reload time (50x or 100x, respectively)

is it possible to get something from wrecks beside resources?

Absolutely - It's the best way to improve your engine tech, actually. Invader ships especially are filled to the brim with Inertial Confinement Fusion Drives. But if you don't want to mess with them (and you don't, generally) Precursor ships usually have engine tech a level or two below that.
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 1347