Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817408 times)

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #450 on: January 15, 2010, 02:49:55 pm »

It's too bad Steve doesn't have the time to make the game compatible for lower resolutions, It seems to be an awesome game (the parts that aren't off screen) I'll definitely be trying this game again as soon as I get a hold of something that can support higher resolution, but alas, that won't be for quite some time.  :'(

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 15, 2010, 02:51:11 pm »

Frankly his attitude makes me wonder why we should care what he thinks,

You do?  I don't.  The game is fun when it works but he's no Toady.

Maybe you've got further into the game than me then, so far it's enjoyable to me, but nothing on the intricate details of DF. And its pretty much my favourite genre of game. (The excessively detailed sci-fi empire builder). Either way his attitude is not what I'd expect considering the comments made.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 15, 2010, 02:58:53 pm »

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't industry need minerals on the planet it's on in order to build anything? Meaning you either mine them there, send them by mass drivers, or ship them in on freighters.

Also, how can you see what jump points have gates on them?
Yes you need minerals. Jump gates show up as a square around the jump point.

Steve
annual amount required can be found in the mining tab, by the way.

The minerals thing wasn't actually a question. It was only phrased as one on the slight offchance the code was fucked and it didn't matter where the minerals were. And now that I see it I don't know how the fuck I missed the square around the jump points. :|

Now, the game is fucking brilliant, but it's also sort of like GalCiv2 all grown up and working at the IRS. It's also extremely unintuitive; while the interfaces may be rather clear about what they do, there is so much information presented at once that unless you know where to look in a given situation, it's easy to get lost in all of it.

Now, the creator's attitude, on the other hand, is a whole other matter. Getting all pissy because some random people on the interlols are pissed off by the terrible design practices and general lack of guidance available? (What the fuck is he running anyways? An antiquated rig with several giant monitors?) Far worse things can be said about how he's acting here than about the problems with his software. Well, except for the people who got their os fucked up by it overwriting dlls. I'd imagine they can say quite a lot in each category.

I suppose when all's said and done it's still an amazing game, but, and I'm sure you're still reading this, lighten the fuck up man, and improve the fucking interface. If you can't see ways to improve it yourself, ask other people, if you can't be bothered to code it up yourself, surely there's someone you can pass it off to, even if you're absurdly paranoid about releasing it as open source like some people. It's playable, if you're smart and devote a few hours to learning it, which most people won't. Clearly you get something from releasing it, surely you'd be happier if you had a larger audience?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:19:17 pm by Sir Pseudonymous »
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 15, 2010, 03:46:49 pm »

Your active search sensor resolution is to crumby to be useful, though the range is quite good.

What resolution would you suggest? I made the same exact sensor.

Also, how do I get my ships to actually activate the sensors? (feel ashamed to say I cheated to get some geosurvey ships, grav survey ships, and enough research to depleted my starting RP... but no more cheating hopefully)

Here's my first ship that wasn't made entirely with that tutorial thing. it also has one of those default names.)
Spoiler: My First Cruiser (click to show/hide)
(It says Purple Laser because I like it better than 'near-ultraviolet')
(the CIWS is because I was too lazy to make another beam control for missiles and a laser turret... and because if I want to I can mount them on my commercial vessels once I'm rich)

Oh shoot. I just noticed it doesn't have enough reactor power because I added the third laser at the last minute. I hope there's a way to fix that. I'm already building a few of these.

EDIT: Ah my first freighters has been completed! Now to figure out how to use.
EDIT2: I can't figure it out... I'm trying to load them with infrastructure but they're stubborn or something. What do I have to do?

Well from my  understanding, the resolution is lower is better. This is why you need resolution one to detect missiles, which on your first ship you have. They have a relation with hull sizes, though I can't find what that relation is. I think resolution 30-50 would do well for most sensors. I would try posting it up on the auroa ship design forum. I don't think a resolution 100 can even detect a 5k ship.

I have no idea how to activate active sensors, as I can't play the game. ;.; but I find myself terrible engrossed in it.

Resolution 100 is what suggested in the wiki, so I suppose its fine for now, it can detect 5k or larger at its max distance though anything smaller could sneak up on you, like fast attack craft that most player and none player races design in the 1k or so field. I dont see these craft being designed until the race get ion drives.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:58:51 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 15, 2010, 03:53:56 pm »

DF players ranting about bad interface and lack of tutorials?! Holly shit!

For my part after couple of tries im running a working empire and having lots of fun.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 15, 2010, 04:00:39 pm »

For my part after couple of tries im running a working empire and having lots of fun.

Sigged
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 15, 2010, 04:36:27 pm »

Dorf fort's interface is unintuitive and inconsistent, but it's actually quite good for all it has to do, and the wiki is excellent for learning it. Aurora's interface is a spreadsheet with a metric fuckton of buttons, and the tutorials, while admittedly fairly good, aren't complete yet. I suppose it has to be mentioned that the wiki was, as far as I know, wholly a community work, where aurora's tutorials were all written by the creator himself (and added to its wiki by someone else, possibly modified but I'm not going through both copies line by line to look for differences).
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 15, 2010, 05:19:45 pm »

Finally got my fleet together, was heading out to explore the nearest system, and started getting an overflow error every time increment.

Aurora is a jerk, and can just get off my computer if it doesn't like working.
Shoes...

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 15, 2010, 05:29:03 pm »

How exactly do you transit jump points?
!!&!!

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 15, 2010, 05:32:11 pm »

Dorf fort's interface is unintuitive and inconsistent, but it's actually quite good for all it has to do, and the wiki is excellent for learning it. Aurora's interface is a spreadsheet with a metric fuckton of buttons, and the tutorials, while admittedly fairly good, aren't complete yet. I suppose it has to be mentioned that the wiki was, as far as I know, wholly a community work, where aurora's tutorials were all written by the creator himself (and added to its wiki by someone else, possibly modified but I'm not going through both copies line by line to look for differences).

I don't see what the problem is with the interface; sure its not visually appealing, but it does a good job of displaying the loads of information that it has to. As for the buttons, they are necessary, and if you can't figure out what one does just hover over it for a description.

And as for his attitude, I would be pretty upset as well if people were shouting swears at me because my game wasn't up to their standards. I personally wouldn't say that straight to the offending people, which seems to be the issue here more than his feelings towards it; I would however ignore the thread.

I think what people here aren't realizing is that this game is written in Visual Basic 6, which is a very old and outdated language that makes dealing with modern interfaces and issues a nightmare; so fixing these problems isn't close to as easy as people are making it out to be. To fix it he might even have to rewrite the whole program in another language. Image if you were swearing at Toady because he doesn't want to completely rewrite Dwarf Fortress.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 05:35:45 pm by Magnnus »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 15, 2010, 05:38:41 pm »

If the code-base is as horrible as it's supposed to be, I would say suck it up and rewrite it before you get any farther in the development.
Shoes...

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 15, 2010, 05:49:20 pm »

Yeah, when I realized that it was VB6, I chuckled to myself. I mean, heck, I learned VB 10 years ago or so in 8th grade, after a foray into QBASIC/BASIC.

Considering what it is, I'm impressed on a technical level. Imagine if DF were on java ::)

You have to wonder, if Toady were not living on fan donations, I imagine there's some times he'd want to berate some of us for being pissy on the forums. I think Steve has something that given a change of heart and some work can be a very successful indie project ala DF, unreal world, minecraft, cortex command, perhaps earning the creator some money on the side or becoming a fairly popular underground hit. The ideas and concepts are here, there certainly is a market for a game like this as shown by this thread, just there are various obstacles for new players.

Kaeledit: people are always shouting at Toady to recode for multithreading, optimization, and pathfinding/water/caveins. Oh god, you guys shold've seen the sheer amount of bitching on SA and 4chan when Toady's old keypress code sans 'else' statements was posted... if Toady were like other indie devs he would have been like "fuck this, I don't need arrays for you sons-a-bitches".
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 05:54:42 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 15, 2010, 05:52:05 pm »

Blablabla. The point is everyone is right, and that's gay.
Everyone is having fun with the game (the ones who played it), I only get pissed off when aliens start fiiring at each other and my time increments can only jump 6 hours at a time.

I have to use an unsupported resolution but who cares? I was happy with my conventional empire save.
I don't know if I'll download 4.8 (is it really out? gonna check it and the change log), because I played almost 50 years already, took a lot of time RL and patience to get there. But whatever.

It's a game made by a gamer to himself. So we can't hope it will make incredible changes etc.
Even if what many people said here is right, even about the language that is ancient, the guy made a incredible work with it and deserve his merits.
Can you imagine a game like this some years ago?

At least I never played anything like it. And I'm the "I prefer a game with graphics" type of guy, even if they suck..I prefer to see things, and hate big windows and spreadsheets...
BUT..I'm having tons of fun and want to get out of the friggin solar system, if the damn aliens stop f* one another, I could get there.

CONCLUSION: Whatever man, if you're having fun just play it. This thread had loads of amount of ranting and overall blabla and all we gonna get is the need to subscribe to Aurora forums if we want to make Steve hear the Bay12 guys opinions, plus he'll take everyone here as a kid.
Not that I care, but here is the only forum where I find people with the same gaming ideas and interest similar to mine, meh.
We're DF players god damn it.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 15, 2010, 05:53:37 pm »

The ideas and concepts are here, there certainly is a market for a game like this as shown by this thread, just there are various obstacles for new players.

Of course there's a market. You can build stuff, games that let's you BUILD, COLONIZE, TRANSPORT and KILL STUFF should all be popular world-wide. muahahaha
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 15, 2010, 05:59:28 pm »

Well from my  understanding, the resolution is lower is better. This is why you need resolution one to detect missiles, which on your first ship you have. They have a relation with hull sizes, though I can't find what that relation is. I think resolution 30-50 would do well for most sensors. I would try posting it up on the auroa ship design forum. I don't think a resolution 100 can even detect a 5k ship.

Yeah I figured that it did that. You have to get closer for smaller ships to be detected by the sensor, right?

Also i figured out the problem with the freighters not taking any infrastructure thanks to someone on the IRC. Apparently the ships under construction were in the same fleet as my freighters, despite not even being completed yet *shrug* now I can start.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 1347