Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811824 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #4215 on: April 09, 2011, 05:10:47 am »

From what I understood, it is mostly for equilibrium reasons, to prevent you from killing a population without making the world a radioactive hell.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: April 09, 2011, 07:14:02 am »

Or just use missiles with 0 endurance (bombs) and pretend they're rocks. :P

Is it possible to have armored missles that do their damage by ramming?

I'd imagine a nice, straight line going though the enemy ships armor, yes?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: April 09, 2011, 07:26:29 am »

For that, you may develop laser missiles.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: April 09, 2011, 10:06:09 am »

I don't know if laser warheads work at all. Steve said he came up with them but then forgot about it.

As for orbital bombardment, you'd use missiles to exterminate population, but kinetic weapons for precise strikes*. You could use the latter against populations, but it'd take far longer. And I do recall at least kinetic hits on a planet raise a measure of dust into the atmosphere, so using them for days against civilians would have a similar detrimental result as glassing through nukes.

*Like to destroy PDCs, a specific group of facilities or, to more limited effect, ground units. For the latter, perhaps, you could add a more complex mechanic: being under orbital fire would slowly reduce the readiness of the target ground forces, but more importantly it would impose a significant combat penalty on them as long as they're being fired upon, leaving the enemy quite more exposed to attacks from your own troops. This would simulate support fire from your warships in orbit.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 10:25:11 am by Greenbane »

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: April 09, 2011, 02:06:45 pm »

A quick question. How do assign a task group to a task force?
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: April 09, 2011, 03:27:35 pm »

As far as I can tell, you make a new one by going ctrl+F4, new TG(at the bottom of the screen) and then assign ships to it through task groups(F12) and then rooting around in the naval organisation tab. I'm not fully sure how it works, but that's as far as I can get after a couple of minutes looking around.

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: April 09, 2011, 03:38:51 pm »

I've tried the naval orginization tab, nada.
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: April 09, 2011, 03:56:03 pm »

On the naval organisation screen;
Click the task force you want to add the task group to. Click 'Add' under 'Modify Organisation Branches' and enter whatever name you want for it. You'll need to add this branch as you cannot add task groups to the top level of a task force for some reason. Then click on the branch you just added and click 'Add TG', with the wanted task group selected.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: April 09, 2011, 03:56:49 pm »

Well this is interesting, the other race (who I am neutral with) has built at least 6 geo survey ships.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: April 09, 2011, 04:16:38 pm »

......And they keep disappearing. Wth. My ship is faster then theirs is, but they just disappear.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: April 09, 2011, 04:22:31 pm »

Are they jumping?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: April 09, 2011, 04:57:32 pm »

no, no jump points nearby

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: April 09, 2011, 04:58:31 pm »

Are they cloaking?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: April 09, 2011, 05:14:38 pm »

Are the ships stopping, reducing its thermal output to a point where your sensors can't detect it?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: April 09, 2011, 10:00:13 pm »

For kinetic bombardments, I believe a 1 ton rock wrapped in steel will produce a yield of about 20 kilotons of TNT when impacting at terminal velocity. If your going that route, best to save your ammo and use whatever is lying around in the system. Asteroids, parts of other planets, moons. If you were truly serious about it, I see a ship, maybe a mile or two long, with a massive magnetic launch tube running down it, and at the loading end basically a fold out stripmining operation. Land it on an airless planet in system, launch a couple hundred 1 ton slugs at the planet of choice, and move on. Come back in a few months, dust has settled, everyone's dead.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 1347