Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817469 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #420 on: January 15, 2010, 08:21:17 am »

Aw. I'm unable to open the 'create research' window anymore. strange. It's tab just sits there in the tray without opening the window. :( hmm.I've only opened a game, closed it, then opened another, touched nothing.

This happened to me too and I couldn't get it to return even when hitting 'move' when right clicking it. It's rather annoying and I couldn't figure out how to fix it. now I'm extra careful to close all the windows using the close button instead of the X to make sure it works.

Also, I can't figure out how to load these dumb freighters with infrastructure....

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 15, 2010, 08:45:54 am »

Order them to Load Infrastructure on <colony>. The shit's not in alphabetical order so it's a bit of a search to find it.

On assigning commanders: did you hit the "eligible" checkbox? Because Earth's never shown up for me then, even for the highest ranked administrators. (Who should be eligible; Earth requires A3 at this point, and my highest is A5... :/ )
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 15, 2010, 09:00:47 am »

Order them to Load Infrastructure on <colony>. The shit's not in alphabetical order so it's a bit of a search to find it.
I tried that. How damn long does it take to load? I think my ship has a loading time of 1:01:00 or something (unless I'm mistaken and it really means it takes a year to load which would be very silly). I have 3 ships with 5 cargo holds each so that should mean I can carry 30 infrastructure (two per cargo hold), so I told them to load 30... 5 days later I look in their cargo holds and nothing, not even a single one. I try loading just one and nope... is it because all three ships are in the same fleet? That would be silly too.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 09:03:05 am by OzyTheSage »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 15, 2010, 09:03:46 am »

If you add Cargo Handlng units to a ship you can shorten the time it takes to load.

Anyway, I gave up on that game and started a new one with Preresearched basic tech and ships.  It's not as cool to make all my own stuff, but since I don't actually know what works yet, this will give me working blueprints to see what's good and what's bad.  My first fleet is already in production, and will probably be finished late 2027.  Suck on that, ridiculous timeframes.

I also turned on All Jump Points Have Gates, because I like the idea of them being ancient precursor technology.  It also means I can get rid of the jump versions of ships, further simplifying things.
Shoes...

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 15, 2010, 09:11:16 am »

This is likely a result of the way the game saves window positions when you close the game. Apparently if you save a window in the minimised state, it will save the window position (off screen) such that when you then open the game again and try to go to that window it'll appear active on the task bar but not be visible on screen. This is apparently fixed in the upcoming version 4.8.

For now, you can go to the misc tab of the main menu bar (with the window that's lost closed, that is not on the task bar) and select Reposition Windows or Restore Windows, or something along those lines. It will force all windows to default to top left position on the screen. So when you try to open it again it'll be visible.

Hope that helps.

Yes thanks that restored it. :) I was about to reinstall. phew!
I remember I was looking in the tech windows of several games.

Can anyone describe to me how you get to the missile design window/menu?
I've got ICBM, small powerplants, engines, launchers and magazines of varying sizes developed.
Also have designed a missile in one game, but cannot find the relevant window anymore there either...so it should be someplace.  ???
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 15, 2010, 09:15:38 am »

I tried that. How damn long does it take to load? I think my ship has a loading time of 1:01:00 or something (unless I'm mistaken and it really means it takes a year to load which would be very silly). I have 3 ships with 5 cargo holds each so that should mean I can carry 30 infrastructure (two per cargo hold), so I told them to load 30... 5 days later I look in their cargo holds and nothing, not even a single one. I try loading just one and nope... is it because all three ships are in the same fleet? That would be silly too.
Have you actually produced infrastructure?
The economy screen shows you there is Infrastructure produced in surplus every year, but this is civilian owned. Maybe you can buy it, like you can civ owned minerals, but I'm not sure.

IIRC infra weighs 1250. so 4 per hold.
edit; sorry. my small cargos have 2 holds, not 1 as I assumed. miscalc.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 09:42:08 am by Areyar »

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 15, 2010, 09:16:09 am »

Check the events window, might say something there if there is a problem. Without cargo handling units it takes something like 10 days to load a ship. Are you sure you have infrastructure to load?

I think I've gotten the hang of it. I used the research and building points in SM mode to start up, and have managed to survey 3 systems, with another three still being surveyed (including Sol, there's still a couple of GEVs surveying the asteroids). I've gotten two jump gates (counting both sides of a gate as one) finished with another two in construction, and set up two colonies in sol (Mars and Titan), though without minerals on either I don't really see the point, along with an automated mining colony on titania, and the beginnings of an extrasolar colony two jumps off Sol, on an almost habitable world with a shitton of minerals.

The missile dialog is on the bottom of the population screen, next to turret.

Edit: Infrastructure is two per hold. With five holds you can carry 10, so a task group of three ships can carry 30.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 09:18:46 am by Sir Pseudonymous »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 15, 2010, 09:40:15 am »

EUREKA!

I've been looking for that button for days! :D
Would make more sense if turret and missile were under the design window, as well as fighters... maybe.

Also it took me a while to realise that índustrial capacity' meant 'post-Newtonian Factory', at first I thought it meant some sort of universal industrial supplies that could be used to ship construction-activity to other places. So I sent a huge portion of my industry to Mars in order to make the dying colonists produce some infrastructure. naturally only 0.3 percent of a single complex could be manned...if they could breathe.
So lesson learned: how to colonize.
-first infrastructure, then colonists and industry and finally installations.
lol

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 15, 2010, 10:04:48 am »

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't industry need minerals on the planet it's on in order to build anything? Meaning you either mine them there, send them by mass drivers, or ship them in on freighters.

Also, how can you see what jump points have gates on them?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 15, 2010, 10:31:14 am »

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't industry need minerals on the planet it's on in order to build anything? Meaning you either mine them there, send them by mass drivers, or ship them in on freighters.

No. You are correct.

I assume you scan a thermal signature or an open jumppoint with a gate on it, it will probably show up as an alien structure.
Never seen a gate yet... :P
IIRC from reading fiction, in galactic view I gated JP links are orange and others green.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 15, 2010, 10:48:53 am »

No. You are correct.

I assume you scan a thermal signature or an open jumppoint with a gate on it, it will probably show up as an alien structure.
Never seen a gate yet... :P
IIRC from reading fiction, in galactic view I gated JP links are orange and others green.

The galactic map doesn't work for me: all but two systems are stacked on top of one another, making it impossible to view them. But, I found that it puts a "(JG)" next to the name of the destination in system info under the jump points tab if there a jump gate on it. Also, in case it's not obvious to everyone, you only need a jump gate on one side to go through on that side. You just can't come back until there one on the other side too, or you use a jump ship to pull them back.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 15, 2010, 10:58:45 am »

Version 4.80 is out. Save compatibility is broken this time.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 15, 2010, 12:34:25 pm »

You can move the systems around in the Galactic Map by right-clicking-and-dragging them, and in fact that's the only way to use the map.

SteveW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 15, 2010, 12:36:13 pm »

The galactic map doesn't work for me: all but two systems are stacked on top of one another, making it impossible to view them.

Click the Help button and read the instructions

Steve

SteveW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 15, 2010, 12:36:58 pm »

Yes you need minerals. Jump gates show up as a square around the jump point.

Steve
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 1347