Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811898 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #4185 on: April 07, 2011, 10:13:33 pm »

Can they mine your own planets dry?
The civilian mining colonies will eventually mine the planet/asteroid they're on out of all minerals yes. I don't know if they go away at that point or what.
They go away.

However, they do leave their poor garrison units behind... alone and cold.

But hey, free units.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: April 07, 2011, 10:22:44 pm »

Can they mine your own planets dry?

They only build the aforementioned ship types. And civilian mining colonies. But those are generally established on unpopulated bodies (mostly asteroids and moons), and you can buy their output and have it mass-driven somewhere useful. So no, they're never a threat to your resources.

However, they do leave their poor garrison units behind... alone and cold.

Ack. That means I've inadvertently spaced a few hundred soldiers so far. :-[
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 10:33:43 pm by Greenbane »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: April 07, 2011, 10:34:45 pm »

Personally I am often surprised a interplanetary game even has resource problems at all when they don't let you build HUGE megastructures.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4188 on: April 07, 2011, 10:38:05 pm »

Personally I am often surprised a interplanetary game even has resource problems at all when they don't let you build HUGE megastructures.
Who says you can't build huge megastructures? In my game Mars has a 5 million person orbital habitat. That sucker is MASSIVE.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: April 07, 2011, 10:39:04 pm »

Who says you can't build huge megastructures? In my game Mars has a 5 million person orbital habitat. That sucker is MASSIVE.

How much Resources did that drain you of?

Also how did you build something that large?

Sad part is, I want to genetically engineer new humans... and a bunch of stuff... I'll tell you guys later once I start my "Learn how to flippin play the game day"

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4190 on: April 07, 2011, 10:40:53 pm »

How much Resources did that drain you of?

I'll check the material total when I get home but it took several years to build and even longer to tow from Earth to Mars with a small fleet of 45 tugs. Now 5 million people happily live in orbit around Mars which is my secondary shipyard and research complex

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: April 07, 2011, 10:41:05 pm »

Likely direct via planetary factories. Orbital Habitats can be built from ground factories (since they're usually so massive that building a shipyard big enough is out of the question).
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: April 07, 2011, 10:47:41 pm »

How many versions of your own species do you guys tend to have? I am disapointed there isn't anything cooler you can do with it, but I am interested in genetic research.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: April 07, 2011, 10:52:28 pm »

Has anyone here run into a bug where "Create" in the Create Research Project menu doesn't do anything? Instant in SM mode works but alas the normal one does not.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: April 07, 2011, 11:04:38 pm »

Has anyone here run into a bug where "Create" in the Create Research Project menu doesn't do anything? Instant in SM mode works but alas the normal one does not.

Haven't run into anything like that. Are you sure you're picking both the project, scientist and number of labs?

How many versions of your own species do you guys tend to have? I am disapointed there isn't anything cooler you can do with it, but I am interested in genetic research.

I can technically upgrade humanity across the board with my current tech. Well, mainly the acceptable temperature range. However, managing multiple sub-species seems like such a hassle. Even if you're just trying to 'evolve' your entire race. I'd have to build Genetic Modification Centres on all the colonies, and they're expensive, and argh. :-\

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: April 07, 2011, 11:06:24 pm »

I'm planning on creating low-gravity, low oxygen, low temperature humanoids on Mars.  Guess what I'm calling them?

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: April 07, 2011, 11:08:41 pm »

By the way, I just read you can't really evolve your race as a whole. Well, you can, but a genetically modified species cannot be further improved.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: April 07, 2011, 11:18:00 pm »

I'm planning on creating low-gravity, low oxygen, low temperature humanoids on Mars.  Guess what I'm calling them?
Elves?

Anyway; hello, long-time lurker, first-time poster. I started playing Aurora a year or so ago thanks to this thread, but then I stopped. In my current game, I decided to do something different and have my race's main weapons be plasma carronades. I just finished designing my first warship, and would like some feedback  :)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It'll probably be stationed near jump points, to blast any hostiles with plasma death while they're slow and blind. Also, this game doesn't require overhauls or maintenence, so that's not an issue.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: April 07, 2011, 11:19:55 pm »

Welcome Sirus!

I'd give advice on ships, but I've never fought an NPR yet, so it would be quite limited.  Three thoughts though:
1) More than one weapon per ship is generally more economical.  But see #2 below.
2) Your targetting speed is limited by the lower of your targetting computer and either your turret speed or ship speed.  And plasma cannonades can't be turreted.  So the speed of your targetting computer is wasted with your ship that is half the speed.  But that is all up to you: I certainly would not suggest researching a smaller targetting computer, and I can respect your need to not load too many engines.
3) Redundant systems increase durability, at least that's my theory.  Two weapons, two reactors, two fire controls, each of these would double your chances of continuing to fight, if damaged instead of destroyed.  But if you prefer a swarm (and you should), it would be best to avoid too much redundancy.  Just another idea to consider.

By the way, I just read you can't really evolve your race as a whole. Well, you can, but a genetically modified species cannot be further improved.

Just subjigate a new race with your genetically-evolved race, then turn the subject race into an even better genetically-evolved race, which in turn conquers another race...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: April 07, 2011, 11:46:48 pm »

Yeah, I'm planning to use the small ship size and build cost (292) to mass-produce these things and guard JPs. No known enemies yet, but the game is still early.

But the sensors and reactor will work correctly, right?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 1347