Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811944 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #4170 on: April 07, 2011, 07:09:14 pm »

I don't follow either. I think the ship design is a strong point in the game.

It is. It just has a lot of useless noise that really don't help.
Like what, exactly? EVERYTHING on that window helps at one time or another.

Ship type selection

Could be done much better with a lot less... bunching.
I don't follow. I find nothing wrong with the current way it works.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: April 07, 2011, 07:10:01 pm »

I'll take a screen shot next time I am there so you know what I mean.

I am not on the right computer for that though.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4172 on: April 07, 2011, 07:29:09 pm »

I don't follow either. I think the ship design is a strong point in the game.

It is. It just has a lot of useless noise that really don't help.
Like what, exactly? EVERYTHING on that window helps at one time or another.

Ship type selection

Could be done much better with a lot less... bunching.

Also I looked for a World ship and I didn't find one -_-
Ship type is just there for you to categorize your ships, it has no rules effect. You can enter new ship types by clicking the "New Hull" button and typing in a type and designation. I do this to keep my military ships easily recognizable, rather than just doing 'cruiser' I do 'Beam Cruiser' BCC and 'Fast Attack Cruiser' FAC. Its just there for your organizational purposes.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: April 07, 2011, 08:05:09 pm »

Doesn't it also let the civvies know that, for example, this is a cargo ship, and can be used for shipping?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: April 07, 2011, 08:44:30 pm »

No. They identify the ship type through its components. Class names are purely cosmetic.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4175 on: April 07, 2011, 08:50:56 pm »

No. They identify the ship type through its components. Class names are purely cosmetic.
Much to my annoyance when they selected and built the little roleplay frigate I created simply to ferry my teams around. It has 1 luxury passenger accommodation and some fuel efficient engines. I'd much rather they use the 100k colonist capacity behemoth I use for establishing new colonies, they have the funds available.

I guess they just enjoy the luxuries and long journey.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: April 07, 2011, 09:01:04 pm »

Oh, they like building luxury liners every now and then. They provide as much profit as a colony ship of a comparable tonnage. I don't know the exact ratio, however.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: April 07, 2011, 09:13:11 pm »

What is the point of having commercial things like ships and mining stations?

I have a civilian built mining complex with 4 mining sites yet it doesn't provide me with anything.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4178 on: April 07, 2011, 09:15:37 pm »

What is the point of having commercial things like ships and mining stations?

I have a civilian built mining complex with 4 mining sites yet it doesn't provide me with anything.
Commercial ships make money for their company when they deliver things for you or deliver colonists to destinations, and you gain income from that via taxes.

For civilian mining complexes you can choose to purchase the output of the mines. If you don't (and you don't by default) you make income via tax as the minerals are sold to the civilian market.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: April 07, 2011, 09:16:04 pm »

That's because you aren't buying the minerals.

Economics/Population and Production window>Select the colony>Civilians/Ind status>Bottom left, Civilian Mining Complexes Status.

Also, they have Mass Drivers too. Remember that.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: April 07, 2011, 09:17:53 pm »

How does civilian objects even work?

I thought you had to set them up for them and give them their own factories so they would build. They do it ALL on their own?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4181 on: April 07, 2011, 09:27:06 pm »

I thought you had to set them up for them and give them their own factories so they would build. They do it ALL on their own?
On the civilian tab in the economy window you can set supply/demand contracts for the civvies to drag stuff around. You don't need to give them factories or anything. I usually use the civilian sector for most of my shipping needs. Like I'll build 10k infrastructure in the beginning and use supply/demand contracts to set it all for distribution to the planets I plan to colonize and they get it done over time and make me money in taxes.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: April 07, 2011, 10:00:11 pm »

You only have to design freighters and colony ships (optionally luxury liners as well) for them (and you) to use. Then they'll use their own wealth to buy the vessels out of thin air. They'll soon become self-sustaining, but you might want to subsidize them some in the beginning.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: April 07, 2011, 10:06:20 pm »

Can they mine your own planets dry?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4184 on: April 07, 2011, 10:11:42 pm »

Can they mine your own planets dry?
The civilian mining colonies will eventually mine the planet/asteroid they're on out of all minerals yes. I don't know if they go away at that point or what.
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 1347