Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2812801 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3975 on: March 28, 2011, 06:54:55 pm »

. . . Dang it.  *sigh*
Well, look on the bright side, at least now you have some semi-sucky sensors to detect your doom a few minutes earlier than if you didn't have them. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: March 29, 2011, 05:13:14 pm »

Err, quick question, how does combat work?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: March 29, 2011, 05:53:00 pm »

Which part, exactly?
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3978 on: March 29, 2011, 06:05:56 pm »

This is not a quick question.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: March 29, 2011, 07:50:29 pm »

The part after all the weapons are assigned to firing controls, but before they fire.

Basically, the part where they stop saying "Weapons not ready to fire" despite their weapons being declared ready on the combat screen.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: March 29, 2011, 07:53:34 pm »

What do you want to know about that? How much damage stuff will do? How will the armor damage be shaped? Etc?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: March 29, 2011, 07:58:12 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'd say that fixing this would be a good place to start.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: March 29, 2011, 08:09:32 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'd say that fixing this would be a good place to start.
Not completely sure, haven't done a whole lot of combat, personally. However, I did find this:
Quote from: Erik Luken
The fire delay could be because of inexperienced crews. They take longer to react than trained crews.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: March 29, 2011, 08:11:36 pm »

Ah. Thanks.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: March 29, 2011, 08:30:43 pm »

Also ater a jump ( Jumpgate or not ) the ship get a fire delay based on ship crew experience.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: March 29, 2011, 08:54:16 pm »

Indeed. Without proper Task Force Training, warships will act uncoordinatedly and suffer delays in the execution of their orders when in the face of the enemy.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: March 29, 2011, 08:56:15 pm »

Indeed. Without proper Task Force Training, warships will act uncoordinatedly and suffer delays in the execution of their orders when in the face of the enemy.

Thank god it was only a scout-ship then. I've got my (two, undershiped) fleets doing task training now, in the hopes that they won't suck as horribly when the aliens actually attack.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: March 29, 2011, 10:48:46 pm »

Just as a sidenote - you don't need a fire control for your CIWS - it comes with one built in.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: March 29, 2011, 11:17:11 pm »

Thank god it was only a scout-ship then. I've got my (two, undershiped) fleets doing task training now, in the hopes that they won't suck as horribly when the aliens actually attack.

Be advised, though. Task force training only helps coordination. Crew ratings (the other percentage column next to TF training) are what determine how well the men and women of the ships actually perform. It increases much more slowly, however. Like TF training, though, it improves according to the task force commander's Crew Training Rating and that of the given vessel's captain.

You can boost the starting rating of crewmen in Empires -> View Race Details. In the upper left corner of this window, there's a value called Training Level, which is 1 by default. That means 1000 crewmen graduate from each military academy annually, with 100 starting grade points, which translates to the standard 0% (average) crew rating. Graduates get 100 points per Training Level (which can be set to a maximum of 5). In my current game, I have configured my race's level to 4, and 400 grade points mean a 10% starting crew rating. A warning, however: the amount of annual graduates is divided by the Training Level (at 4, you would get 250 per academy per year), and raising it, no matter how many steps, halves your pool of available crewmen. You can check how large your pool is on the Teams / Academy tab of any given population.

On the other hand, to preserve potentially skilled graduates, you can tick the Conscript Only box on a given design (say, a commercial vessel). This option has ships of that class employ conscript crew and thus leave the standard crewman pool untouched. While your supply of conscripts is unlimited, the downside is that said ships enter service with a default crew rating of -10%.

PS: If you lower your race's training level, the rating of the pool of crewmen obviously changes, but its size remains unchanged. And before I forget, this whole mechanic I just explained is completely unrelated to named officers. It doesn't affect their quality nor volume of training.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: March 30, 2011, 04:43:09 am »

I followed the tutorial on the wiki up to learning how to terraform, and I pretty much have the UI and menus figured out. I have 2 Geo Survey ships out scouting and 2 Gravitation Survey ships mapping the jump points. But I still don't know how to start mining the asteroids that my geo survey ships scan. I think it involves putting a colony on it, but after that I'm stumped. Also research and building take anywhere from 5 to 30 years apparently, which is kinda long...
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 1347