Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2812881 times)

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3960 on: March 28, 2011, 12:42:36 pm »

Do xenologist teams automatically start working when dropped off on a planet with ruins?

A question I too would like answered. I dropped of a geo team on Mars, and while their rating (What is that btw?) increases, as well as their skills, no new minerals seem to appear and nothing in the event log indicates they do anything but sit around.
The geo teams will work automatically until they finish their work, at which point you'll get a message in the event log saying something along the lines of

'[Team] has located deposits of [mineral]' and '[Team] has completed their work and believes no more mineral deposits can be found on [planet]'.

I don't remember the exact message, but it's along those lines, you just have to wait until they finish. Xenology teams I imagine it's the same thing, though I've yet to ever use them.
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: March 28, 2011, 01:01:56 pm »

They discovered 10 installations, no technology or anything and I've now got to research the technology to allow me to transport a brigade over there to dig up the installations.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3962 on: March 28, 2011, 01:25:06 pm »

Incidentally, it does tell you in the planet's information whether it has been surveyed by a geo team so you could check there to see if they're done. AFAIK yes xeno teams do start working right when they're dropped off, though they can sometimes take a LONG time to finish.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: March 28, 2011, 01:32:22 pm »

We've been exploring Egyptian ruins since what, the 1800s? It makes sense how long it takes them if you think of it that way.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

creodor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: March 28, 2011, 02:51:45 pm »

Stupid corundium. This galaxy is nearly completely devoid of the stuff. Titan has about 1.2 million at .1 accessibility, and then two planets outside of sol with it in large quantities at high accessibility...but they're 2 systems away, and both are just past a system crawling with angry aliens. Colonizing Titan is not easy.
Free Game List

fish are drowning again ~Fourth Triad

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: March 28, 2011, 02:56:32 pm »

Stupid corundium. This galaxy is nearly completely devoid of the stuff. Titan has about 1.2 million at .1 accessibility, and then two planets outside of sol with it in large quantities at high accessibility...but they're 2 systems away, and both are just past a system crawling with angry aliens. Colonizing Titan is not easy.
Well, I guess you'll have to make due without energy weapons, which is not so bad. Use Gauss for PD, and Railguns for point blank combat. And whatever you get from Titan is used for special energy weapons.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: March 28, 2011, 03:04:45 pm »

If you need more corundium, start creating geology teams on random asteroids (must have geosurveyed them first, IIRC).  Any new mineral deposits will be random, with an equal chance of all types (exception:  double chance of duranium).  It's slow and unreliable, but you can still limp along that way.

Bonus:  The expert geo teams you'll be training will have an easier time finding minerals.  Also, the "nothing left on this planet" result is skill-dependent, with a chance as low as 10% (IIRC) when your team has 140+ skill.

creodor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: March 28, 2011, 03:06:43 pm »

Well, I guess you'll have to make due without energy weapons, which is not so bad. Use Gauss for PD, and Railguns for point blank combat. And whatever you get from Titan is used for special energy weapons.

Unfortunately you also use it in Automated Mines. Which is where almost every scrap of it I can gather has gone. Guess I finally have to learn to use missiles.

I've been bouncing geo teams around, and one is camping on Titan to hopefully boost accessibility. I have a couple asteroids with a tiny bit of the stuff. Guess I'll start tossing around automines until my miner ships are running.
Free Game List

fish are drowning again ~Fourth Triad

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: March 28, 2011, 03:19:06 pm »

OK, so I finally got a game in which some stuff is running... amazing I know.  But my Grav Survey ships aren't actually doing anything despite having 3 Grav Sensors on Board.  I set it up to auto search the Grav Spots.  Any idea where I might have gone wrong?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3969 on: March 28, 2011, 03:32:35 pm »

OK, so I finally got a game in which some stuff is running... amazing I know.  But my Grav Survey ships aren't actually doing anything despite having 3 Grav Sensors on Board.  I set it up to auto search the Grav Spots.  Any idea where I might have gone wrong?
It does take a while to survey each point. Post your design for the ships and tell us what their orders are

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: March 28, 2011, 06:30:32 pm »

They're at the point, but the the little time thing isn't counting down, it's been several years.  Here's the load-out.

2x Nuclear Thermal Engines E10
3x Active Search Sensor MR10-100
1x Crew Quarters
1x Fuel Storage
1x Engineering Spaces
1x Bridge

The Orders are as follows,
Default Orders:
Primary, Survey Nearest Survey Location.  Secondary, None.
Conditional Order A, Fuel less than 30%, Order, Refuel at Colony within 4 Jumps. 

If you need anything else to figure out what the problem might be go ahead and tell me.  Like I said though, it's been there for years and hasn't progress at all on the 400 SP needed.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: March 28, 2011, 06:43:35 pm »

Problem: Active Search Sensors detect ships, not survey points. You want Gravitational Survey Sensors.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: March 28, 2011, 06:44:57 pm »

You'll want gravitational sensors instead.
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: March 28, 2011, 06:45:43 pm »

You'll want gravitational sensors instead.
He he, I ninja-edited. Just telling people so you don't look bad.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: March 28, 2011, 06:48:38 pm »

. . . Dang it.  *sigh*
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 1347