Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813401 times)

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3645 on: January 09, 2011, 02:53:23 pm »

It didn't prevent me from playing for quite some time that running Aurora changes unrelated menus to yellow-on-black (like default windows right-click one and most Firefox menus) but it IS somewhat annoying and begs the question - what else outside of the game does it casually violate? Yet another reason for me to not trust any BASIC related things.

I don't blame the coder but the tools. Including his two giant monitors setup that suggested him to develop user interface exactly for that and nothing less.

As far as I know a ground-up rewrite is actually what Steve is doing now for Aurora 6. I am cautiously optimistic that it will be complete and better than current version before first public JADE release.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: January 09, 2011, 04:35:43 pm »

It's my understanding he is making aurora 2.. that is, he's making a brand new game. This time with changable resolution and better user interface..  That being said, it could be years, especially since he seems to be 100% occupied in real-life poker playing at the moment.
Although i would suspect there will be a few more aurora patches as well.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: January 09, 2011, 09:18:42 pm »

How do you -save- your game? Or load one? I can't find anything like a game menu aside from creation screen.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: January 09, 2011, 09:19:52 pm »

How do you -save- your game? Or load one? I can't find anything like a game menu aside from creation screen.
Just exit it. It automatically saves every time you pass an increment.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: January 09, 2011, 09:56:16 pm »

I never thought I'd find a game with a worse interface then DF's. I'm in the populations - leaders tab. The tutorial says "just assign a colony leader" but clicking on a person and then the assign button doesn't DO anything.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3650 on: January 09, 2011, 09:56:52 pm »

I never thought I'd find a game with a worse interface then DF's. I'm in the populations - leaders tab. The tutorial says "just assign a colony leader" but clicking on a person and then the assign button doesn't DO anything.
You switch to civilian assignments, click the person, click the position, then assign IIRC

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: January 10, 2011, 11:43:28 am »

Are the Aurora forums down?
Edit: Never mind, just got on.

avari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: January 18, 2011, 05:29:15 pm »

I read about this game recently on the General discussion forum or somewhere, and.. whoa. Endless amounts of indecipherable information. Graphics consisting of spreadsheets and one rough representation of a solar system. Gameplay as a whole resembles, to the casual eye, working on spreadsheets. Starting a new game entails hours spent designing individual ship components. Horrendously clunky interface with a healthy dose of error messages to complement the the copious amounts of micromanagement. No manual to speak of, only scattered tutorials and a lopsided wiki. I assume the normal human mind would instantly recoil in horror. As for me, all this sounded immediately promising. I can only surmise that years of DF have damaged my brain in some manner.

I found that the basics of the game were not that difficult to learn in the end, with much thanks going to the DF community for this thread (which I've read about half of) and also for filling out parts of the wiki (or so I gather from what I read in this thread). The game's quite enthralling when it gets going, with always some grand operation ready to begin or about to finish. That, and the learning curve, are what most reminds me of DF, otherwise the moniker in the topic is not all that accurate in my opinion :)

I've played my first longer game from 2025 to 2041 now. Mars has been fully terraformed for years and has a big population, although I haven't really figured out what to do with them apart from collecting taxes, as there are no minerals there. Titan has about 15 million people and is full of minerals, I'm also terraforming there but if the "maximum greenhouse pressure = 3.0" information in the terraforming tab is accurate, it's not possible to get it down to more than about colony cost 2. All the infrastructure and colonists on Titan have been transported by civilians by the way.

There are in general very few good mineral bodies in the Sol system. Charon (!) and some asteroids and comets have large quantities, and civilian mining companies are doing the mining there with the loot being sent to Earth by mass drivers. I've kept all my production etc. on Earth so far, that seems to work pretty well. I've also colonised a semi-earthlike planet in a neighbouring system, which has about 10 million colonists already and will shortly be down to colony cost 0. Other than that I haven't found within 3-4 jumps any (free) planets worth the trouble of colonising.

I've met two alien races, one right next door with a jump point in the inner asteroid belt. Both seem to be peaceful and I have trade access both ways with the neighbouring race. I built jump gates to their system years ago in the hope that my civilian traders would flood their markets with cheap human junk. Unfortunately there has been no interstellar shipping so far, I'm not sure what I should do to make it work, or if it even works in the current version.

The other alien race parked a jump-capable fleet near my off-system colony a while back, and they've been sitting there doing nothing. I got frustrated with the "new sensor contact!!!" spam and decided to test out the combat system. I had my starting fleet go there, it was Fast OOB'ed in the start and refitted for marginally better equipment later, and had about the same number of ships. I had them engage at range, and found that the alien ships were either poorly designed, technologically inferior or a decoy of some sort. They were about the same size as my ships, but only half as fast. Their sensors were much better than mine, but their missiles had a terrible range. I was able to lob all my anti-ship missiles at them without retaliation and next to no losses to PD, although only one of their ships was completely destroyed (note to self: more magazines). I then closed to finish them with my anti-missile missiles (oh the humiliation) and swatted 95% of their returning salvos on the way. In the end I had destroyed them all easily with only a few dents in my ships' armor. I have a new batch of better ships and better missiles under construction so I might just decide to go visit their home system, which has a nice 0 colony cost world if I remember correctly.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: January 18, 2011, 05:37:22 pm »

Glad to know some people can enjoy the game despite it's bad interface. If you need to ask any questions, just ask. I'm more than willing to help if I know the answer and I'm sure others are willing too.

As to what to do with mars, you could park all your research bases on Mars if they aren't doing anything, since research bases, to my knowledge, do not need minerals to work.

Also, yeah, Titan has a lower Base Temperature (66K or so) that makes terraforming to 0 colony cost impossible. Still, Infrastructure is cheap(and can be built by civilians without costing minerals) so you shouldn't suffer too much a penalty from having a colony there.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: January 18, 2011, 05:49:56 pm »

I tried it...

Was hoping for DF in space.

No such luck.

To be serious, I just couldn't deal with it. DF's interface is a thousand times more interesting, and I never realized how much graphic representation meant to me. Working on spreadsheets to create a civilization is no fun, in my opinion.

Still, I can tell there's a lot in this game, and hope you guys have fun!

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: January 18, 2011, 08:06:55 pm »

I've been playing the game a bit, but haven't figured out how to make ships. I tried making a new ship and then building it but apparently it has 0 fuel efficiency or something since it ran out of fuel immediately.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: January 18, 2011, 08:18:10 pm »

I've been playing the game a bit, but haven't figured out how to make ships. I tried making a new ship and then building it but apparently it has 0 fuel efficiency or something since it ran out of fuel immediately.
Did forget to put in fuel tanks?
Did you have very small fuel tanks and high-fuel consuming engines?

Those are the only two things that I can think of that might cause the problem.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: January 18, 2011, 08:21:49 pm »

There lies the problem, I don't understand how to make ships.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: January 18, 2011, 08:29:40 pm »

There lies the problem, I don't understand how to make ships.
Alright, what do you need help on? Ask me anything.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: January 18, 2011, 08:51:10 pm »

I don't see any engines listed, I assume that I need to research them or something but I don't know how, my available research projects doesn't have any engine projects listed.
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 1347