Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813517 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3435 on: October 25, 2010, 05:57:52 am »

I've surveyed Mars, the moon, mercury, Venus and Deimos. So far the only one with minerals is venus, and they're all accessibility 0.1  :-\.
Other than your homeworld it is entirely random, so that isn't unusual really. Geology teams can find more but as Rift said you shouldn't rely on that. Explore other systems to find better sources.

I really only do surveys of planets with other large concentrations of minerals so I can do large mining operations, or if I desperately need a specific mineral.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: October 25, 2010, 06:00:47 am »

Well once I get my geo team to a rating of around 300 or so they do a pretty good job of getting me enough minerals.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: October 25, 2010, 06:17:29 am »

Found a JP to another system, and Europa has a small abundance of stuff I'm running low on. I've tried designing a terraformer but it has 2000%+ annual failure rate from a single terraformer module and 3 engines. It changes 0.001 atm per year. What?!
E: What does a red box around a JP mean?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 06:26:44 am by Cheese »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: October 25, 2010, 06:27:55 am »

You can research to upgrade the terraforming rate or add more modules, also, use a commercial engine as commercial spacecraft do not have a annual failure rate and do not need overhauls.

Also, I'm getting weird error6 overflow sb bodies errors whenever I try to advance the turns, help?

NO idea about red box.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: October 25, 2010, 06:34:13 am »

Thanks for the help. Looked through the wormhole, can't see much out of the usual.

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: October 25, 2010, 08:19:05 am »

Hi,
I do believe a red box represents a jump gate.  It might be one built by an NPR or a relic of the precursors.  They are useable by your ships without any tinkering, just as if you'd built them yourself.
As for that overflow error, it sounds related to system body surveys of some sort if the function name is anything to go on.  Do you have any in progress?  Of course, an NPR could be causing it too, as they survey the same way human players do.
Hope this helps.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: October 25, 2010, 08:24:39 am »

No surveys in progress no, Don't know about the nprs though.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3442 on: October 25, 2010, 08:27:53 am »

Found a JP to another system, and Europa has a small abundance of stuff I'm running low on. I've tried designing a terraformer but it has 2000%+ annual failure rate from a single terraformer module and 3 engines. It changes 0.001 atm per year. What?!
E: What does a red box around a JP mean?
Then annual failure rate is, IIRC, the chance for a component to fail per year. A 2000% chance means that, on average, 20 components on the ship will fail per year.

You can mitigate this by adding maintenance space, or making it a civilian ship by using a civilian engine.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: October 25, 2010, 09:23:32 am »

I didn't think of using civilian engines :P
I got a geo survey ship with a jump drive and sent it to a system, haven't checked out the red box one yet though. Will NPRs immediately hate me if I go through? I have pretty much no military yet, so I'm unable to defend myself against attacks.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: October 25, 2010, 09:28:37 am »

I would suggest turning off maintenence for your first game or 2... It makes things so much less micro-managy.

As for going to other systems, you have to be careful. Last game I ended up finding a precursor fleet on my first jump from my homeworld, which proceeded to jump back through the wormhole to Earth, slaughter all my pathetically weak ships, and raze my shipyards to the ground.

This game I've had better luck though... Just try and be careful. You would probably be well off to send a ship with your best sensors through first just to ensure nothing nasty is in the area. This game, for example, I am using a ship with 3 varieties of sensors each of which is large enough to have about 500m km range.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 09:32:50 am by alway »

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: October 25, 2010, 10:52:33 am »

Just found a gold mine of resources in Alpha centurai, but it's a gas giant. Can gas giants be colonised/harvested from? The stuff also has fairly high accessibility, 0.94 gravity, 12 hour days and pretty much 365 day years. If I can't use this then the game is mocking me or something.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: October 25, 2010, 11:11:34 am »

You can only harvest the sorium using a sorium harvester module on a ship, the rest is useless to you, yup, I'd say the game is mocking you.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: October 25, 2010, 12:13:48 pm »

Have you surveyed the asteroids? I get a good chunk of my minerals atm from my small fleet of asteroid mining ships. You can usually find 1 or 2 nice asteroids in a system with diverse minerals and a bunch of em.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: October 25, 2010, 12:26:46 pm »

I'm researching the tech for asteroid mining atm. For some reason 2 JPs just got new red boxes, including alpha centurai. I have a geo survey vessel there atm which isn't picking up anything. Apparently the Alpha Centurai to Sol JP has a red box too. Nothing on contacts so far.. strange..

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: October 25, 2010, 12:31:00 pm »

Invisible benevolent gate-builders?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 1347