Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813878 times)

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3195 on: June 10, 2010, 05:31:27 am »

I've noticed that there is actually a finite amount of minerals on each body... Is there something that lets you get a slow trickle of resources, or does this mean no more mining, ever?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3196 on: June 10, 2010, 05:32:58 am »

I've noticed that there is actually a finite amount of minerals on each body... Is there something that lets you get a slow trickle of resources, or does this mean no more mining, ever?
Nope. Once they are mined out they are gone, and you get no more.

The only exception is geology teams, which can sometimes find 'new' deposits but they can only survey each planet once, very micro intensive to hit every system body.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: June 10, 2010, 05:35:52 am »

Well, that kind of sucks. Earth is due to run out of everything within 20 years.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3198 on: June 10, 2010, 05:41:11 am »

Well, that kind of sucks. Earth is due to run out of everything within 20 years.
Yes, it sort of makes you get your ass out there into the other systems.

Also, 20 years is a long time.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: June 10, 2010, 09:45:49 am »

Well, I stumbled into Design and decided to make a big-ass ship. I think that I've hit all the marks, but I don't know if it would be a powerful missile platform or a expensive piece of target practice. I think it could use more missiles and magazines, though.

Code: [Select]
Chatham class Dreadnought    34700 tons     3557 Crew     5074.8 BP      TCS 694  TH 1320  EM 540
1902 km/s     Armour 1-94     Shields 18-300     Sensors 36/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 81     PPV 120
Annual Failure Rate: 118%    IFR: 1.7%    Maint Capacity 17404 MSP    Max Repair 150 MSP    Est Time: 13.47 Years
Flag Bridge    Magazine 2760   

Ion Engine E8 (22)    Power 60    Fuel Use 80%    Signature 60    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 1,050,000 Litres    Range 68.1 billion km   (414 days at full power)
Beta R300/12 Shields (12)   Total Fuel Cost  144 Litres per day

Size 5 Missile Launcher (24)    Missile Size 5    Rate of Fire 75
Missile Fire Control FC32-R56 (4)     Range 53.8m km    Resolution 56

Active Search Sensor S96-R56 (5)     GPS 5376     Range 53.8m km    Resolution 56
Active Search Sensor S48-R56 (10)     GPS 2688     Range 26.9m km    Resolution 56
Thermal Sensor TH6-36 (5)     Sensitivity 36     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  36m km

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes

It's the latter of the two, IMO.

First off, your armor is really low. 1-94 isn't much more than an eggshell. As I understand it, the first number is the thickness of the armor, and the second is the width. I'd want the thickness up around 5 or 10 if I didn't want the ship to explode at the first sign of combat, the higher the better.

I have no idea about the shields. I haven't gotten around to using them yet...

Your failure rate is excellent, if you want a long range ship spending most of it's time away from the home system. Unfortunately, the ship is slow and won't be able to get too far from fueling bases due to only being able to run for 414 days, so why not cut back on engineering and maintenance supplies? Just keep it in system with a large maintenance facility, and you can lose a fair bit of weight.

Why the hell do you have 15 active sensors and 5 thermal sensors? Cut off all the sensors reading out to 27 mkms, they see the same size stuff as their bigger brothers, just worse. I'd cut back to just one each of the other sensors, maybe two of the actives. Hell, if you send these out in fleets, I'd design an anti-missile ship with sensors for the whole fleet. You don't need actives on a ship if another ship does, and you can save weight and minerals by cutting back like that.

Fair enough on the guns. As I count it, you have 20 something salvos per ship, which damn well better be enough since getting into a slugging match isn't good for anyone. I'd up your reload rate as much as possible, though. I love 5 second salvos, and the quicker you blow the other guy up, the less missiles you have to worry about shooting down.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: June 10, 2010, 07:51:55 pm »

If you need tips and reference material for ship design, check out my examples page here.

I stopped playing since then (it was 5.02 at the time), and recent versions are incompatible with older savegames, so I'm not too motivated to continue just yet. :P

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: June 10, 2010, 08:07:08 pm »

Well, I discovered the armour-thickness doodad. I was wondering why I couldn't alter it in the cmponents section. The rest seems fairly simple, and I've decided that a fuel/maint/ammo ship should accompany my capital ships.

One concern, however, is the Missiles design. All of the default missiles are just empty shells. Example:

Code: [Select]
Missile Size: 0.25 MSP  (0.0125 HS)     Warhead: 0    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 0 km/s    Endurance: 0 minutes   Range: 0.0m km
Cost Per Missile: 0
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 0%   3k km/s 0%   5k km/s 0%   10k km/s 0%
Materials Required:    Fuel x0

I guess this means that I need to design my own anti-ship and anti-missile missiles. I have no idea what specification are required for each role, though.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: June 11, 2010, 01:09:58 am »

The game will only move forward in increments of 25 seconds. This is not a pleasant experience.

Edit: I activated Automatic Turns, and now it is slowly churning through the minutes.

Double Edit: It worked through two rough patches then let me go. I suppose the AI's had two battles or similar.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 01:15:28 am by Shade-o »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3204 on: June 11, 2010, 01:16:22 am »

Congrats, you have just encountered the reason I stopped playing the game.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: June 11, 2010, 01:24:31 am »

You know you don't have to have an AI at the start of the game.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: June 11, 2010, 03:15:23 am »

Alright, I've heard that you can set up an inter-system resource relay by use of jump points and mass drivers. It doesn't seem possible to attach mass drivers to jump gates, though, so I imagine there's something far more complicated involved?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: June 11, 2010, 03:23:12 am »

As far as I know, you have to use regular freighters to transfer stuff between systems.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3208 on: June 11, 2010, 03:24:12 am »

Yep, freighters. I don't know of any other way.

Now the freighter can deliver the minerals to a place near the jump point which can then mass driver them on in.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: June 11, 2010, 08:17:09 am »

March, 2039.

I discover why I have a terrible shortage of Neutronium and Duranium, preventing me from building any ships.

Apparently Continuous Capacity Expansion does use minerals, despite not saying so.

Well done.
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 1347