Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814215 times)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3030 on: March 29, 2010, 08:59:52 pm »

You seriously have to make a colony on every asteroid you want to mine with ships?

Why not just make everything in the system a colony and call it a day?

I don't usually mine more than one asteroid at a time, and I delete colonies once they're depleted. No big deal.

Isn't that range only represented at 50% accuracy? So it is actually double the range?

The class design screen shows full ranges.

Beam weapon damage diminishes with range, with the exception of gauss cannons and particle torpedoes.  So having a disgustingly huge laser range means you'll deal near max damage at the edge of your fire control range.

Yep. Don't worry if you don't have the tech to make full use of a laser's range. Sure, you'll have to use it at shorter ranges, but that's where lasers deal the most damage. At maximum range, their punch is little more than a poke.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: March 29, 2010, 09:02:04 pm »

Well, the "active grav sensor strength" starts going up faster, if that's what you meant.

Code: [Select]
techs in order of research:

If you want super long-range targeting systems, you need to choose whether you want to increase antenna size or increase minimum resolution.
all-tech targeting system maximized for range:
Code: [Select]
Missile Fire Control FC9000-R500

Active Sensor Strength: 9000
Sensor Size: 50 HS    Sensor HTK: 1
Primary Mode:   Resolution: 500    Maximum Range: 135,000,000,000 km
Chance of destruction by electronic damage: 100%
Cost: 9000    Crew: 250
Materials Required: 2250x Duranium  6750x Uridium

Development Cost for Project: 90000RP

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: March 29, 2010, 10:18:50 pm »

Well, technically I was talking about lasers, not missiles. I need better beam fire control tech, which I'm working on.

Side question: do civilian ships consume fuel? I'm just curious, I designed a luxury liner with a 350,000 liter capacity which makes me worry about using up all my fuel. I haven't found a single sorium gas giant yet in five systems (usually both Jupiter and Uranus are freakin made of the stuff, this game is a little weird), so I'm trying to be fuel conscious.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: March 29, 2010, 10:30:50 pm »

EDIT: nvm, read the question quickly

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: March 29, 2010, 10:43:36 pm »

I think civvies generate everything from thin air.

Don't quote me on that though.

------

And yea while you want to take advantage of as much of your laser's rage as you can I don't see how anyone is ever going to realistically match fire control completely to laser range.  But as said, at the more extreme end of the laser's range it's not gunna hurt much anyway.  I've grown to see the laser type tech as an upgrade that slowly reduces the "max range" damage dropoff of lasers to nil.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: March 30, 2010, 04:18:31 am »

I recall seeing "refuel at Earth" order in "civilian/ind" tab and fuel stockpiles diminishing in general over the years with 10 active fuel refineries and not much activity on my part.

Can someone please check it with SM mode: shut down refine industry, design civilian freighters with 1 small fuel tank and heavy engines, subsidise the civilian lines and create huge contract for installations shipping?

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: March 30, 2010, 04:20:43 am »

I am 100% sure civilians don't need fuel.

This guy on the forums asked that question and Steve says the run on nothing because coding the civilians to get fuel would be troublesome

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3037 on: March 30, 2010, 09:12:03 am »

One thing I can't figure out. I've researched up to X-Ray lasers, and can now fire them over one million km... or at least, I could if there were target sensors that could go anywhere NEAR that far. I've almost got 60,000km, unless they start growing exponentially from there I won't be able to fire lasers anywhere near far enough.

I know that I can multiply the fire control's range by 4, and then it can fire twice that distance at reduced accuracy, but even with 60,000 that's still only 360,000km of the 1.2m km. Is there some secret, or can lasers really fire that much further than they can be targeted?

The nominal maximum range of lasers will quickly outstrip that of your fire-controls, particularly as you increase the size of the laser, although as others have stated that's not all bad as the rate of damage drop off also falls as the wavelength tech increases, meaning you will be doing higher damage at the maximum range allowed by the fire controls. Also note that as a deliberate design decision, beam fire control max-range at full tech tops out at 1.4million km, ie a little under the distance light can travel in a single 5 second increment.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: March 30, 2010, 01:17:49 pm »

High tech level missiles are as fast as lasers ^_^ but can track over long distances.

time to change your path to glory....
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: March 30, 2010, 02:31:23 pm »

High tech level missiles are as fast as lasers ^_^ but can track over long distances.

time to change your path to glory....

Lasers can't be blocked and don't destroy themselves to fire. It is frustrating though, seems that Steve designed missiles intentionally to be the kings of combat. I mostly have a ton of EW tech because I have a researcher with a 35% EW bonus and only one with a M/KE bonus above 10%.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: March 30, 2010, 02:49:30 pm »

I cleared 3 systems full of precursors with a single 60k tons CIWS+lasers heavy battleship. Magneto-plasma tech level and not even a scratch to the armor.

On an unrelated note - I discovered that ships that are docked into a hangar-equipped PDC are still counted towards mineral maintenance on the colony's Minerals screen. So - there is no alternative to maintenance facilities and spending minerals just to keep what you have.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: March 30, 2010, 04:19:29 pm »

I cleared 3 systems full of precursors with a single 60k tons CIWS+lasers heavy battleship. Magneto-plasma tech level and not even a scratch to the armor.

How did you manage to catch fleeing Precursor ships? Could you cram enough engines to push that BB past 4700 km/s? :o

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: March 30, 2010, 04:33:11 pm »

How did you manage to catch fleeing Precursor ships? Could you cram enough engines to push that BB past 4700 km/s? :o

they flee to their storage base and die in the final battle...

All NPR's do this. you can have a 200km/s battleship and clear systems. Speed doesnt matter.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: March 30, 2010, 06:48:29 pm »

On an unrelated note - I discovered that ships that are docked into a hangar-equipped PDC are still counted towards mineral maintenance on the colony's Minerals screen. So - there is no alternative to maintenance facilities and spending minerals just to keep what you have.

Ffff-

Well, I guess my somewhat clever plan isn't so clever after all.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: March 30, 2010, 07:48:00 pm »

Ffff-

Well, I guess my somewhat clever plan isn't so clever after all.

One emote will suffice for everything I could be writing; :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 1347