Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814796 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2820 on: March 24, 2010, 07:45:08 pm »

Question about comets. How long do they stay in a system, can they be mined with asteroid mining modules, and what happens if you have stuff on them when they leave a system?
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: March 24, 2010, 08:42:01 pm »

Question about comets. How long do they stay in a system,

can they be mined with asteroid mining modules,

and what happens if you have stuff on them when they leave a system?
forever, they are in eccentric orbits.
No. you need mines. AMMs are for asteroids, not comets or chunks or moons.
They don't. But losing a colony means losing all the stuff on it.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: March 24, 2010, 08:51:04 pm »

Question about comets. How long do they stay in a system,

can they be mined with asteroid mining modules,

and what happens if you have stuff on them when they leave a system?
forever, they are in eccentric orbits.

They don't. But losing a colony means losing all the stuff on it.
Adding on;

but they can go billions of km's away past the asteroid belt, so get them when they are close and drop mass drivers for when they are not.

I'm not in the position to confirm or disagree, sorry, but I just don't use them.

true, but don't delete your colony or you might be finding yourself cheating like me to fix your mistake. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: March 25, 2010, 03:54:34 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
bit old, but it still is constantly updated to be awesome.

I am almost sure that the power needed in this case is 4x4=16, not 40.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It is an except from a design from the official "Exodus Campaign" savegame that comes with every 5.0x Aurora version.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2824 on: March 25, 2010, 04:21:29 am »

Are you sure about that? While I know they don't function on moons and am fairly sure the same is true for chunks, I recall using mining ships on comets before.

I am almost sure that the power needed in this case is 4x4=16, not 40.

Yep required power is number of weapons times the capacitor size on each weapon, basically how much power you need to generate every 5 seconds.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: March 25, 2010, 08:04:57 am »

Yep required power is number of weapons times the capacitor size on each weapon, basically how much power you need to generate every 5 seconds.

Yeah, it's green multiplied by red.
20cm C4 Ultraviolet Laser (4)    Range 320,000km     TS: 6562 km/s     Power 10-4     RM 4    ROF 15        10 10 10 10 8 6 5 5 4 4

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: March 25, 2010, 08:05:43 am »

I still wouldn't use an AMM on them anyways. When that comet goes too far out, they won't have enough fuel to get back home. I'd rather use AMM's to clean up those little 500 mineral asteroids you have floating around, use automated mines on planets and moons.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Decimator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: March 25, 2010, 09:35:38 am »

I still wouldn't use an AMM on them anyways. When that comet goes too far out, they won't have enough fuel to get back home. I'd rather use AMM's to clean up those little 500 mineral asteroids you have floating around, use automated mines on planets and moons.

Bah, build a refueler if you don't want to give your asteroid miners enough fuel to get home.
Quote from: Duke 2.0
Urist McMood: Must have... Glass!
 Kogan McHauler: We were able to get a few pieces from some encrusted trinkets. Hopefully, thats al-Oh CRAP we don't have any fuel!
 Urist McMood: That won't be a problem...
 *Starts bending metal with his bare hands*

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2828 on: March 25, 2010, 12:52:55 pm »

I avoid it all by using engine-less mining ships and tugs.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: March 25, 2010, 01:09:50 pm »

Yeah, it's green multiplied by red.
20cm C4 Ultraviolet Laser (4)    Range 320,000km     TS: 6562 km/s     Power 10-4     RM 4    ROF 15        10 10 10 10 8 6 5 5 4 4

At-least I wasted only a little space, whats the first number anyway? damage?
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: March 25, 2010, 01:15:11 pm »

I avoid it all by using engine-less mining ships and tugs.
Me too, I wanted to add cargospace for a massdriver, but that would be besides the point if it is going to sit in orbit in a swarm of miners. . . I just send a single cargoship with a MD after it.

\Actually, I don't recall actually trying a miner on a comet.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2831 on: March 25, 2010, 01:21:40 pm »

I use tugs because not only do I have the mining ship but also the one that extracts from gas giants and terraformer ships all engine less because they are meant to just sit there so why should I waste the money to equip them all with engines when 1 or 2 tugs can take care of most of the early to mid game needs.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: March 25, 2010, 01:23:47 pm »

I decided to have engines on gateconstructors...
only one module per ship, so they be fairly small compared to the other utillities.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: March 25, 2010, 01:29:04 pm »

only one module per ship, so they be fairly small compared to the other utillities.
You didn't have engines on them before? so you tugged around gate constructors for every gate? :P

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: March 25, 2010, 01:36:14 pm »

You didn't have engines on them before? so you tugged around gate constructors for every gate? :P

Hey, if you've already got dozens of fairly fast tugs floating around, why not? It's probably faster to tug the ship, than to throw on a weak engine.
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 1347