Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814775 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2805 on: March 24, 2010, 05:23:06 pm »

Well, this game took me ~100 systems, my first took a few, so its basically random, if you really want to find one set generation to 100%, just remember that its likely precursors/ruins are going to generate instead. ::)

Edit; ::)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 05:30:59 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: March 24, 2010, 05:26:20 pm »

hmm?

I run into NPR's after a few systems generally....

In my longest running game (100years) I probably ran into like 8 by the time i was that expanded out.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: March 24, 2010, 05:28:51 pm »

I'm guessing that having Difficulty 85 might have something to do with this?
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: March 24, 2010, 05:34:12 pm »

No, that's how much population+stuff they have on generation, so 85% means they will have 85% of the norm population+stuff (it can go from >0% to *insert random gigantic number here*), its 'NPR Generation chance' that affects it.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: March 24, 2010, 05:37:45 pm »

Didn't fiddle with that.

Well, looks like I have more scouting to do.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: March 24, 2010, 05:41:25 pm »

You can edit in-game, on the main window's 'game' tab, inside the 'game info' selection. :)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: March 24, 2010, 05:44:09 pm »

I've gone farther than that and never encountered a real NPR a few times.  I also found the other starting NPR 2 jumps away from my home system before too, so it can vary alot.

Hell, you could have generated an NPR in a system but never saw them too.  If your survey ships have only basic sensors (or none at all) you could come within a few hundred thousand kilometers of another ship and never see it.

P.S And if an NPR managed to get generated on a planet orbiting one of those extreme outer suns I can imagine them never being seen for a very long time.  I wouldn't be surprised if an NPR would be unable to cope with a homeworld in that position, as well as never being seen unless you actively go search it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 05:51:57 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: March 24, 2010, 05:46:23 pm »

Well a lot of those systems have been revealed using the "Enter/Explore" button in the F9 Menu(Is that a cheat of some sort?) and so I haven't actually put ships in a lot of them.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: March 24, 2010, 05:50:21 pm »

Well since the response before was good, I made some fighter designs, just to compare...

Stand alone version, /w sensor
Speed: 125 000 km/s
Damage max: 18 Missiles x 24 Damage warhead = 432 Damage from 4m km away.
Tonage: 180 tons

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'd ditch the magazine, launchers and missiles and put a meson cannon on it. I'm not sure about its potential effect on weight and therefore speed, but with that kind of agility, equipping the spacecraft with very finite ordnance seems like a waste.

Done. I personally think thats not as effectiv, anyway here is the figher with a menson

Needs Sensor support
Speed: 76923 km/s
Damage max: Unlimited, given enough time... lower dmg output in the start though and only 175,000km range.
Needed to add engy. station, otherwise the fail rate would be to high.
Tonage: 292.5 tons

The menson cannon makes up over 50% of the ship and yeah... honestly I can't see this being much better.

And my personal fav:

Fighter bomber

50x30Dmg=1 500 Damage in a single blow... sure its kinda slow and helpless, but Daaaaaaam. I figure I could build a light variation with 750 dmg and twice the speed, but damm thats a fine piece!

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 06:02:37 pm by ThtblovesDF »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: March 24, 2010, 05:57:01 pm »

Favorite colony, now, that was the second time I asked everyone, this is the third, I WANT TO KNOW THE SILLY COLONY SITES. ::)

Just ignore one half of curious self, whats everyone's favorite ship class? mine is the 'Alaska' because it just works so well in groups.
bit old, but it still is constantly updated to be awesome.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: March 24, 2010, 06:04:42 pm »

Well a lot of those systems have been revealed using the "Enter/Explore" button in the F9 Menu(Is that a cheat of some sort?) and so I haven't actually put ships in a lot of them.

Not entirely sure if it's a cheat(I'm guessing it is) but if you only used that it is entirely possible for an NPR to be in one of those systems.  I think Enter/Explore only generates the system early (as opposed to waiting til a ship enters it to generate it)  It dosn't actually explore or survey the system.  So there could very well be an NPR inhabiting one of those systems.

------------

I never really had a favorite colony I suppose.  Closest I guess would be Vanheim, which is the name I give my homeworld in my custom games.  I never even name my colonies, they just keep the System name- planet number they have by default.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 06:07:55 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: March 24, 2010, 06:14:22 pm »

No love for the poor colones. :P

just name them... uhhh... 'Taco' I guess. :D

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: March 24, 2010, 06:18:58 pm »

Next one is Burrito. I'm sticking with the theme.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: March 24, 2010, 06:22:50 pm »

Next you will start calling them 'Chorizo'. :P

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: March 24, 2010, 07:17:00 pm »

I give recognizable names to my ships, freighter is Mule, colony ship is Tavern, grav survey is Sight, geo survey is Flower, And I usually name ships based on medieval weapons depending on their weapons, for instance laser is spear, missiles are archers, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 1347