Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814687 times)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2505 on: March 15, 2010, 04:53:11 pm »

Piecewise's opinion is very valid. It's just not his cup of tea, so you can't blame him for not wanting to play the game any further. You came off a bit too defensive, Journier. Just let him be.

As for the graph, I believe it tries to explain gaming skill in a particular game increases as you play said game. Makes sense.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2506 on: March 15, 2010, 05:34:52 pm »

Going from DF to Aurora is like going from Diablo to Angband display wise.

That's a wild exaggeration. There's really not that much of a graphical difference between Dwarf Fortress and Aurora. And both games' reliance on text instead of images to convey information is very similar.

Aurora may have you delve into a particular screen or two to provide detailed information about a specific contact or planet, but intuitively DF shows nothing either: you must go through a similar method to find out g represents a goblin and + a tile of smoothed floor. And even when you know what each symbol means, you still have to examine tiles the same way manually to get deeper, often crucial information.

For one if you know something is a goblin you will also know what it is because of a convenient color coding of the different military skills so that ranged goblins will be a certain color and an axe using goblin will be another. For another thing in Aurora maybe you know what your ships are because of names but anything other then that you have to look farther. if you can answer both of my next questions though I will concede to you.

1. there is a green "g", what is it?
2. you see a white dot marked as moving at 2870km/s and has a thermal rating of 1200 that is named Creeper 001, what is it?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 05:37:19 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: March 15, 2010, 05:44:09 pm »

Yeah, that's why you had the huge wall of text + self made graph  ::)

That graph is probably older than you are. Its been on the internet for ages.

How you keep getting into a separate conversation not relating to you is surprising. 8)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 05:49:05 pm by Journier »
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: March 15, 2010, 05:53:10 pm »

2. you see a white dot marked as moving at 2870km/s and has a thermal rating of 1200 that is named Creeper 001, what is it?

1. A goblin. I'm not sure about the specifics since I tend to use graphic sets in DF, but you can't deduce much more from the icon. And in this particular game's case, you don't need to. You don't need to know the exact weapons, armour and clothes a specific goblin is wearing most of the time.

2. The colour of the dot is important as it determines whether the contact's one of your ships, civilian, NPR hostile, neutral, friendly or allied. I don't think white's an option. But anyway:

- I know it's a ship of the Creeper class.
- I know from its thermal signature that it either has lots of engines or poor heat reduction.
- If I combine that last piece of information with its speed, I may consider the possibility it's a fairly large vessel.
- Range to a specific point is also displayed on contacts, so I would know that as well.

As for what the Creeper class is, it depends on who's the owner. You'll be familiar with it if you designed it, but if you didn't actually finding out its characteristics is fairly neat, given you have to observe how it works and behaves in combat. You can also get specific information about the class during prisoner interrogation or, I assume, if you manage to board a specimen.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: March 15, 2010, 05:54:46 pm »

1. A goblin. I'm not sure about the specifics since I tend to use graphic sets in DF, but you can't deduce much more from the icon. And in this particular game's case, you don't need to. You don't need to know the exact weapons, armour and clothes a specific goblin is wearing most of the time.

2. The colour of the dot is important as it determines whether the contact's one of your ships, civilian, NPR hostile, neutral, friendly or allied. I don't think white's an option. But anyway:

- I know it's a ship of the Creeper class.
- I know from its thermal signature that it either has lots of engines or poor heat reduction.
- If I combine that last piece of information with its speed, I may consider the possibility it's a fairly large vessel.
- Range to a specific point is also displayed on contacts, so I would know that as well.

As for what the Creeper class is, it depends on who's the owner. You'll be familiar with it if you designed it, but if you didn't actually finding out its characteristics is fairly neat, given you have to observe how it works and behaves in combat. You can also get specific information about the class during prisoner interrogation or, I assume, if you manage to board a specimen.

fff i was about to do my own version

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: March 15, 2010, 05:56:01 pm »

He was asking me!

I was actually paranoid someone would beat me to it again. :P

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2511 on: March 15, 2010, 05:59:06 pm »

bah neutral looks white on my computer. Also its first contact with this ship and I don't know what it is either, though I do concede the point I must first point out for anyone new to Aurora first contacts will show up neutral till they do something to change that so even if hostile you won't know it till they fire.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: March 15, 2010, 06:02:44 pm »

I think neutral is light green by default. As for a race's hostility towards you, you can check their stance on the Diplomacy window.

Whether it's your first contact with a given class or not is reported on the Events window.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2513 on: March 15, 2010, 06:09:10 pm »

not contact, first time you see them. for instance till you actually put active sensors on swarm ships they will be neutral colors until they fire at you.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: March 15, 2010, 06:13:00 pm »

Yes, all aliens appear as neutral the first time you stumble upon them, and you can check the Diplomacy screen to find out their stance towards you, allowing you to switch your own stance to hostile if necessary.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2515 on: March 15, 2010, 06:29:30 pm »

hmm, did not know that. Always went by their color.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: March 15, 2010, 07:25:43 pm »

You can change the colors. Make it purple or something to avoid confusion.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: March 15, 2010, 08:49:41 pm »

I've designed Luxery liners.

But my civilians refuse to ever build them.
Are there perhaps requirements for the designs?

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: March 15, 2010, 09:42:51 pm »

Give them some time, but I'll admit that, in my experience, liners are rare even when freighters and colony ships are all over the place.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: March 15, 2010, 10:38:04 pm »

I've designed Luxery liners.

But my civilians refuse to ever build them.
Are there perhaps requirements for the designs?

I generally get 2 civilian shipping lines fairly soon one after the other, with multiple colonies in Sol System.

I have got a 3rd after i got a colony outside of Sol System but i dont know if it was from that or not.

Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 1347