Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814530 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2310 on: March 03, 2010, 09:31:35 pm »

Steve says to make ships that have no armor or shields and put that into speed and long range.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: March 03, 2010, 10:33:05 pm »

It's hard to make capital ships faster than 10000 km/s without late tech or making them a maintenance mess. :-\

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: March 03, 2010, 10:55:01 pm »

It's hard to make capital ships faster than 100002000 km/s without late tech or making them a maintenance mess. :-\

You guys are ridiculous, LOWER YOUR SPEED JESUS, MOAR WEAPONS.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: March 03, 2010, 10:57:37 pm »

1 missile launcher > all other weapons if your ship is faster.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: March 03, 2010, 11:17:30 pm »

1 missile launcher > all other weapons if your ship is faster.

but ill have 2 ML's since your faster and wasted extra space for that speed.

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: March 03, 2010, 11:17:30 pm »

Yes, but I don't want to rely purely on missiles. It's cheap.

And I said 10000+ km/s earlier because that's the speed of Star Spawn 'gunboats', and the point was that it's unfeasible to try to outrun them.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 11:21:49 pm by Greenbane »

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: March 03, 2010, 11:18:56 pm »

Yes, but I don't want to rely purely on missiles. It's cheap.

And I said 10000+ km/s earlier because that's the speed of Star Spawn 'gunboats', and the point was that it's unfeasible to try to outrun them.

Totally agree. Unfeasible in the entirety.

Actually most of the AI ships i have come across have all been like 5000km/s or faster.
I have never seen a properly armed and correct speed AI ship and fear the day I do.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: March 03, 2010, 11:22:29 pm »

Going to aim to maintain speeds of 4000-5000 km/s on at least my lighter warships. I think speed is protection on its own, if it makes your vessels harder to hit. But it's not a definitive decision: I'm still fairly new to the game, so it's all about experimentin'!

EDIT: Quick question: what's the point in having ship components constructed separately?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 11:30:57 pm by Greenbane »

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: March 03, 2010, 11:30:11 pm »

I never had problems.  You are doing this in the Task Force screen? 

Create New TG, Rename TG, Delete TG at the bottom left.

You can transfer ships from the 2nd tab from the left.
You should also be able to do it from the task group window, by changing the task force in the dropdown but it doesn't save your changes.

I've only ever bothered to do it in the Task Force screen(the one where you give your Task Groups orders...)  It hasn't caused me any trouble.

You folks can bring that problem up as a bug on the Aurora forums.

I think we have a misunderstanding of which windows is which.

I'm saying that I can't change which Task Force my Task Groups are part of in the Task Group windows (the one where you can set orders, move individual ships between TG's etc.) I wasn't aware there was a way to do it in the Task Force window (the one that has info on the staff officers in the task force). In the Task Group window the dropdown menu doesn't save Task Force changes (at least for me). If there's a way to do it in the Task Force window, could you explain it to me, I just spent 5 minutes staring at that window and couldn't find one.

With regards to speed / weapons I'm a pretty firm believer in sacrificing speed for armory and armor. Sure, your 10,000 km/s ship might be super fast and hard to hit and with missiles you could outrange me, but at a similar tech level I could have a warship bristling with point defense and a bunch of long range weapons like laser/torps, or even my own missiles. Theres no point being able to zip around the place if that one missile launcher can't even get past my point defense or shields and the space and maintenance your spending on those diminishing returns engines is gonna pile up exponentially for every extra bit of speed you want while my weapons increase mass and maintenance at a predictable, linear rate.

Also, as far as speed as a defense goes, that is only going to be helpful against the first gen ships you meet from your enemy, at least with me, the second I see an enemy using stupid fast ships and hoping the speed will protect them, I shove all my lasers on 3x or 4x tracking speed turrets. Increases the cost and BP, sure, but it completely negates your defense.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: March 04, 2010, 02:23:47 am »

EDIT: Quick question: what's the point in having ship components constructed separately?
It uses industry to build, and means the shipyard doesn't have to do it, so the cost of building a ship, as far as the shipyard is concerned, goes down.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2320 on: March 04, 2010, 02:27:02 am »

It can also be useful to stockpile certain things you use a lot of, like sensors and engines. As said, cuts down on time and cost.

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: March 04, 2010, 03:22:51 am »

I've finally found a workaround for the non-saving drop down Task Force selection:

Make a new Task Force
Go into the Task Group window
In the Naval Organisation tab, make a branch underneath the new TF
Add whatever ships you want in the TF to this branch
Create a new Task Group using the 'Ship only', 'Branch only' or 'Branch + sub' buttons.
Voila, you have a new Task Group that is under the new Task Force containing the ships.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: March 04, 2010, 07:33:42 am »

It uses industry to build, and means the shipyard doesn't have to do it, so the cost of building a ship, as far as the shipyard is concerned, goes down.
It can also be useful to stockpile certain things you use a lot of, like sensors and engines. As said, cuts down on time and cost.

I guessed it was something like that. Very interesting. Thanks. :)

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: March 04, 2010, 07:40:28 am »

I guessed it was something like that. Very interesting. Thanks. :)

I read this was partially buggy still or something but i havent ran into any problems yet. Its definately a good way of doing it.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: March 04, 2010, 08:08:14 am »

I'm pretty sure we established that internal armor DOES work on mesons. I think it is in the aurora forums.
Meson Overpowered Thread

Unless there is another discussion about it that I missed?

EDIT: Hell, I'd plaster that stuff all over my hulls too if it did.
Just out of curiosity, is anyone having trouble with making new task forces? Since the last 2 patches I haven't been able to assign ships to new task forces. I click the dropdown and select the new task force, but as soon as I go back into the menu, it's reverted to the old one. Its not really a problem at the moment since I don't have a great deal of TGs but once I start expanding further its gonna be a hassle trying to train military ships

Precursors don't expand and populate.  But they exterminate.

I never had problems.  You are doing this in the Task Force screen? 

Create New TG, Rename TG, Delete TG at the bottom left.

You can transfer ships from the 2nd tab from the left.
This is correct, previous version I pointed out to Steve that ships could be teleported allover a system by judicious placement of taskforces and transfer of ships between them. So that has changed as of 4.91: ships can only be transferred between TF at the same location.
New TF are created at the default homeworld by default, this means transfer of ships can only occur from TF at the homeworld. (though I have noticed sometimes this goes awry)
No idea how to create TF at other locations or if it is even possible.
It is not a function of which TaskGroup is selected (default HQ fleet or a new mobile fleet HQ).

Check to see if your TF is in a different TG from the TF where your ships are.
TF transfer screen only shows TF in same TG. (AND at same location)

BUT : Wasn't taskforce organization majorly revamped at 5.0 ...might be 5.01... haven't had a chance to check out 5.0 yet.

Also I've found Precursor populations...at least that is what the game says they are, I can only see IR signals so probably are automated mines. (Exo and Spy teams in place as well as active scanners in orbit, troops will arrive as soon as gate is completed)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 08:22:57 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 1347