Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817815 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #225 on: January 12, 2010, 04:24:39 pm »

Now the duration of turns (hard set by me to 86400, or 1 day) has dropped to 15 seconds. I'm guessing combat? except there's only supposed to be one NPR, who are they fighting?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 12, 2010, 04:26:47 pm »

Check the ctrl+F3 events log, if nothing shows there then perhaps the NPR is attacking another empire that spawned or precursors.

EDIT: advice from Aurora forums that was linked to earlier
I suspect that you have a couple of NPRs engaged in a battle. Use the automated turns option. Click the check box at the top of the System Map (F3) , and run from there. The program will only stop if there is an event that affects the current default race. This WILL be a bit slower if there is serious action going on - I sometimes go off to create a good source of brownian motion at this sort of time as it can take a liitle while!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 04:33:11 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 12, 2010, 04:38:12 pm »

so how exactly do new NPRs spawn? is it a random chance based on new system exploration? by everyone? (so if they go unchecked these NPRs will spawn exponentially?)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 12, 2010, 05:15:34 pm »

so how exactly do new NPRs spawn? is it a random chance based on new system exploration? by everyone? (so if they go unchecked these NPRs will spawn exponentially?)
NPRs are spawned at game start, and you only find them when you find..Them! A emount is generated so you won't waste 3 days looking throughout the galaxy to find one.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 12, 2010, 05:19:24 pm »

*SIGH*

I have too many games to play right now and no time to play them. And now you give me *another* game that I must try out.

I think you're all trying to kill me.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 12, 2010, 05:26:39 pm »

I'm starting to edit the wiki, meanwhile some useful info that is gleamed from various lists but also what they do (for newbies like me).

Main screen Hotkeys
F2 Economics - Manage your colonies (you'll be here a lot as you can manage research, ship building, and production from tabs of this screen)
F3 System maps - Brings up the overview map/interface of current system (if you don't see anything press this)
F4 Commanders - Promote & assign your rookies
F5 Class Design - Design your spacecraft
F6 Ships - See ships under your command
F7 Fighter Squadrons - Manage the fighters
F8 Battle Control Window - Control ships in combat
F9 System Information - Information (including minerals) about the current system
F11 Galatic Map - giant map displaying system locations
F12 Task Groups - Give commands to your grouped ships
Ctrl+F2 View Race Details - Information on your race
Ctrl+F3 Events log - List of important occurances (Keep open!)
Ctrl+F4 Task Force Organization - Order of command for ships
Ctrl+F5 Intelligence/Diplomacy - Known information about aliens & determine whether they want to kill you
Ctrl+F6 Create Research Project - Design components for usage, research prototype afterwards
Ctrl+F7 Technology Report - Information about your current tech levels
Ctrl+F8 Planetary Markets - Trading information
Ctrl+F9 System Summary - What types of stars are explored
Ctrl+F11 Ships Requiring Repair - Damage report
Ctrl+F12 Fuel Situation - Fuel levels
Ctrl+L Shipping Lines - What's going where
Ctrl+S Spacemaster on
Ctrl+O Spacemaster off

Ctrl+F10 gives me error 91.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 05:47:40 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 12, 2010, 07:01:33 pm »

Note to Windows 7 64 bit users:

If you get a DAO error after patching, when you've installed everything right, you simply need to make the game rune as administrator, and run in XP compat mode (maybe not both, I turned both on and it fixed it the first try :Shrug:). Will edit in if I find further problems.
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 12, 2010, 07:07:53 pm »

I stopped following the tutorial, and I have no goddamn clue what I'm doing.

Awesome.

Also, apparently I geologically surveyed both Mars and Venus in the same way, but only Venus' minerals showed up.  ???

EDIT: now I tried Mercury, and Mars again with my other ship. Do they just not have minerals? They show up as surveyed when I check the "Show Surveyed Bodies" box
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 07:13:05 pm by Chicken Launcher »
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 12, 2010, 07:09:47 pm »

What requisites does this game have?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 12, 2010, 07:13:52 pm »

Have your ships actually gotten to Venus?

Anyway, I'm wondering about Mass Drivers, Asteroids, and Relativistic Kill Vehicles (I still think that Relativistic Kill Vehicle would make an awesome name for a dystopian-far-future-themed death metal band).  Could one attach a hyperdrive (A hyperdrive is distinct and separate from a jump drive, right?) to an asteroid or other large stellar body and launch it at absurd speeds toward an enemy-occupied planet?

Can Mass Drivers be used as weapons?
Shoes...

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 12, 2010, 07:18:52 pm »

Hyper drives allow a ship to travel much faster when on and still about double the output when off, whereas a jump drive allows a ship to travel through a jump point.

No, you can't attach engines to asteroids or anything, but I believe I saw someone suggest being able to grab them with tractor beams for much the same effect.

And no, mass drivers only allow you to send minerals between planets, as far as I know.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 12, 2010, 07:31:40 pm »

I had similar thoughts and concluded that as there are only a (relative) handfull of asteroids in the belts, they must represent the mountain-sized ones.

Addition of a donut of dust and smaller rocks, where kinetic ammo can be collected and which is a navigation hazard (like nebulas) could be fun and a requirement to make this idea work.

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 12, 2010, 07:44:11 pm »

Mass drivers can actually be used as weapons, in a sorta way. Firing a mass driver at a planet that doesn't have their own mass driver will result in bombarding it rather than transferring minerals.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 12, 2010, 08:17:48 pm »

Replaced my breaking harddrive with one of the same size. May be able to play this without worrying about blue screens corrupting everything.
!!&!!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 1347