Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1342 1343 [1344] 1345 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2761014 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #20145 on: April 20, 2023, 10:44:16 pm »

I haven't tried it on 11 yet so I can't help with that personally. I haven't seen any threads about it on the Aurora forum splashpage though (in theory it could have been buried when I hadn't checked it but it's not a very busy forums).

It should be as Shonus said, patch if needed and use the .exe

Does it simply refuse to do anything? Does it open momentarily (as visible in task manager) and then close without warning? Error warnings etc? Have you tried right clicking for context menu and running as admin?
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20146 on: April 21, 2023, 07:28:47 pm »

The issue is that Windows 11 has an immovable taskbar in the bottom, so you can't see the bottom of things.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20147 on: April 21, 2023, 08:25:57 pm »

I can only reproduce that issue by dropping resolution down to 1600x900, and that's not Windows's fault - the game itself (still) doesn't quite work properly at that resolution.

Unless you've got some strange scaling issue, it isn't a Windows problem.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20148 on: April 21, 2023, 09:18:57 pm »

The issue is that Windows 11 has an immovable taskbar in the bottom, so you can't see the bottom of things.
????
Right-click the bar, Taskbar Settings, Taskbar Behaviors(bottom). From there can either move the bar, or set to hide. 

Just 2 more clicks deeper into pointless menus from previous versions of the OS.  A total improvement in UI.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20149 on: April 22, 2023, 04:21:55 am »

You can set it to autohide, but with Win 11 Microsoft finally decided to stop letting people move the taskbar to places it doesn't belong, such as the the top or (horrors) the side of the screen. It is fixed firmly at the bottom now.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20150 on: April 22, 2023, 07:08:13 am »

Thanks!

Hide might be useful.  But I'd rather move, but I can't.  Oh well.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20151 on: April 22, 2023, 08:14:40 am »

You can set it to autohide, but with Win 11 Microsoft finally decided to stop letting people move the taskbar to places it doesn't belong, such as the the top or (horrors) the side of the screen. It is fixed firmly at the bottom now.

As if I needed another reason to never get Win11. Microsoft is fucking terrible.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20152 on: April 22, 2023, 10:38:59 am »

At least the default install of windows 11 doesn't think every computer is a tablet or a laptop with a touch screen.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20153 on: May 18, 2023, 02:53:00 pm »

I just downloaded the C# version after not having played Aurora in, wut, perhaps a decade.
I ran into the same problem as I remembered from before. The menu's not fitting inside the screen. I can't see the bottom of the economy tab for example, or reach the buttons that are there to start researching.

I was like grrrr. C'mon Steve, how hard can it be to code a game that just fits with most resolutions.

Then I had an epiphany. I checked my Windows >> Settings >> Display.
There is an option there that's called 'Scale and layout'. The slider was set at the Windows default of 125% (recommended). I set it to 100%.

IT ALL WORKS FINE NOW. It is not Steve's lack of display coding, it is just stupid Windows being stupid Windows.
It did remind me though that I am going to be needing reading glasses before too long.

Perhaps this is also helpful for the people posting about resolution woes above.

EDIT: hmpff. It would be nice if I knew in what year my research mproject will be done. It says Tuesday 4 Februar... the rest is cut off by the date tab's size
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 03:08:24 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20154 on: May 18, 2023, 05:02:23 pm »

EDIT: hmpff. It would be nice if I knew in what year my research mproject will be done. It says Tuesday 4 Februar... the rest is cut off by the date tab's size
Settings -> Date and Time -> Date, Time and Regional Formatting -> Change Date Formats -> Long Date

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20155 on: May 18, 2023, 07:14:45 pm »

Awesome, thanks!

Note that for it to work you need to restart aurora.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 07:16:37 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20156 on: May 20, 2023, 01:21:02 pm »

Uhhh. I think the numbers are wrong here.

Did a conventional start, it's still early game. I have just about finished researching all the techs I need for my first jump capable science vessel.

I built 2000 infrastructure on Earth, and transported it to Luna. Had a colonizer dump about a million pop on it, and gave it some financial centres.

Now, Luna has 7.038.332 infrastructure, 3523.37m pop, it's political stability value is down to 2.59% because it requires nearly 2000 PPV.

Furthermore I've noticed that the game changes production order values to insane amounts. I ordered 200 contruction factories for example, and next time I look at it there's a production order for several millions of contruction factories.

EDIT: One thing I could imagine causing such weirdness to happen is our silly dutch numerical notation.
We reverse the use of , and . compared to english.
1,000,000.15 would in dutch be written as 1.000.000,15 instead.
I can't find any windows setting for that though.

EDIT2: Found the setting. Thanks Google. It was indeed set to dutch standard. I changed it now, but I fear I will have to start a new game and hope my guess that this is the culprit is correct.
Luna is too far gone to fix in any reasonable timeframe haha. Ah well, it was a good run for brushing off some dust.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 01:39:47 pm by martinuzz »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20157 on: May 20, 2023, 04:20:47 pm »

Yeah, that's a known issue with Aurora - Steve does everything in UK standards and doesn't have any desire to program in accommodations. It is in big bold letters in the bug forum.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20158 on: May 20, 2023, 05:04:04 pm »

You can always use spacemaster to fix it.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20159 on: May 21, 2023, 04:37:10 am »

It is the main reason I stopped playing Aurora.

In Czechia we mark powers of thousand with [space] and decimals with , .
So we would write it as 1 000 000,15 .
I am used to using decimal point in computer stuff, and when I have english keyboard set, the numpad-del does use decimal dot as well.

But somehow, Windows still knows I am in Czechia and will use decimal comma in Aurora when it isn't directly from keyboard.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.
Pages: 1 ... 1342 1343 [1344] 1345 1346