Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1321 1322 [1323] 1324 1325 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814426 times)

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19830 on: May 12, 2020, 08:02:19 pm »

Kind of surprising what happens when you actually talk to someone, instead of lying about it.  Steve finally did talk to a mod dev and a moderator and came to the consensus that he'll approve mods as long as they don't mess with the DB.

Probably going to see the multiplayer mod show up soon.  Maybe.  Since it uses the DB, but doesn't modify it.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19831 on: May 12, 2020, 08:09:38 pm »

Lying about it? What drama happened here?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19832 on: May 12, 2020, 08:17:25 pm »

Steve says "No Mods."  Creator of a mod makes mod, says he tried to contact Steve, releases mod.  Steve says he never heard from him before the release of mod.

Meanwhile the two Aurora subreddits (second was made years ago also because of drama, apparently reason for drama left) decide to merge, create a mod agnostic rule (they exist, do not talk about them here, but you can link to them) as a middle ground and a third subreddit is created for aurora mods.  Moderators from both subs get Steve and mod maker to finally chat and Steve agrees to approve mods.

Was a silly 2-3 days.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19833 on: May 12, 2020, 08:27:11 pm »

Kind of surprising what happens when you actually talk to someone, instead of lying about it.  Steve finally did talk to a mod dev and a moderator and came to the consensus that he'll approve mods as long as they don't mess with the DB.

Probably going to see the multiplayer mod show up soon.  Maybe.  Since it uses the DB, but doesn't modify it.

The multiplayer mod's officially kosher. Steve's posted in the Reddit discussion about it, and it was the first Steve-approved mod. Why the interface mod is the first one to show up on the official forum is a mystery.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19834 on: May 12, 2020, 09:26:58 pm »

This makes me think of games like rimworld, where you can put mods in a folder or something and select which ones you want before starting a game. Combine that with an in-game bug report system and it should be able to easily filter out any modded bug-reports, no?

I however have no idea if this is feasible code-wise. I don't code.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19835 on: May 12, 2020, 09:47:05 pm »

That's all great for a commercial product.  Aurora isn't.  This is the most work I've seen Steve put into Aurora in a few years.  Also the largest I've seen it's player base, by miles.

It's come a long way from being a campaign assistant for a board game that got way to complicated.  Then the assistant got to complicated.  Then he turned the assistant into it's own game.

Not a huge amount is left from it's roots these days.  The 5 second intervals is probably the largest thing still left.  I have my Dad's copy for the version of Starfire that the assistant was made for and I totally get wanting a program to help you play that.  Trying to manage when fleets get places, research finishes, message probes get around so you can react to stuff and send orders.  Add 2+ more players and woof.

Steve still slips and refers to features as rules.  Like you would in a table top game.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19836 on: May 12, 2020, 09:49:00 pm »

And yet Starfire was advertised as being the simpler of ADB's two space combat games.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19837 on: May 12, 2020, 10:15:58 pm »

Well it was.  As long as you didn't get and play the campaign supplement.  Or the multiple race additions.

Base game is beautiful for the time.  Each ship had a stat line that represent the components, the layout and the damage track all as just a string of letters and numbers.
A for armor, S for shield, L for laser and so on.  Damage just went down the line.  The race supplements added new weapon types and these are where we got the meson line of weapons.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19838 on: May 13, 2020, 08:04:27 am »

Ooo, the Aurora deep lore.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19839 on: May 13, 2020, 10:55:06 am »

I think all the people getting their dopamine hits being so righteously indignant on Steve's behalf made matters worse.  There was a hostile relationship before any conversation even started, and people purposely misrepresented arguments to make things look worse.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #19840 on: May 13, 2020, 10:58:22 am »

Dang it people I just came from the C:DDA thread(s)  :-)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19841 on: May 13, 2020, 07:09:12 pm »

Dang it people I just came from the C:DDA thread(s)  :-)

Agreed.  Let's just stop talking about the mod drama before The Toad shows up again...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19842 on: May 13, 2020, 08:56:20 pm »

So, anyone know if the tracking bonus vs missile tech is still bugged and not working? I get the itch to research it every time I see it.

EDIT: And are orbital mining modules ever worth it? Feels like you could do any mining 20 times faster with cargo ships and automatic mines.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 10:00:13 pm by Micro102 »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19843 on: May 13, 2020, 09:51:57 pm »

So, anyone know if the tracking bonus vs missile tech is still bugged and not working? I get the itch to research it every time I see it.
As far as I know, it's working correctly - although it's worth noting that the tech is a bonus to tracking speed, not a direct increase to hit%, so the effective increase to shooting down missiles might not be as significant as expected, depending on what you're shooting with.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19844 on: May 13, 2020, 11:27:41 pm »

EDIT: And are orbital mining modules ever worth it? Feels like you could do any mining 20 times faster with cargo ships and automatic mines.
Orbital mining modules are worthwhile if you have a lot of asteroids to mine.  Each orbital mining module does the work of an automated mine at half the construction cost, or for another comparison, matches the work and price of a regular mine with absolutely no colony population needed.  Further, it receives mining bonuses from both the ship commander and the colony administrator instead of solely the latter, which makes them far faster if you have a halfway-decent supply of commanders.  On the other hand, the strict cut-off at whatever threshold you've researched means they're pretty worthless if your surveys have revealed that TN minerals are primarily available on larger celestial bodies.

This rule on stacking leader bonuses also applies to terraforming stations, by the bye.  Like orbital mining modules, they are also cheaper than their matching planetary equivalents for matching base output (superior with said leader bonuses).  It doesn't apply to sorium harvesters, but only because you cannot create colonies on gas giants and cannot use fuel harvesters over terrestrial planets.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 11:30:59 pm by Culise »
Pages: 1 ... 1321 1322 [1323] 1324 1325 ... 1347