Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1310 1311 [1312] 1313 1314 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814159 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19665 on: April 23, 2020, 10:01:06 pm »

Now that most of the bugs are apparently squashed, he has time to work on the delayed features.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19666 on: April 24, 2020, 11:41:34 am »

Not gonna lie, that is beautiful.  It's not like I ever made bug reports anyways.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19667 on: April 24, 2020, 12:54:39 pm »

Yeah, the vanilla color scheme is hideous.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19668 on: April 25, 2020, 11:35:19 am »

So I decided to scrap the jump cruiser idea on the basis of cost. I do not feel my current mineral economy can support a single vessel costing 34k tons of minerals.

Instead I'm going with the good ol' military fleet with commercial tender fleet. Also reduced the max operational range to 120 bkm (or 60 bkm excluding return).

But I wanted to use more than just tankers. Future proofing, I suppose. So I got myself a recreational ship for future plans.

Spoiler: Recreational ship (click to show/hide)

Debating on whether to scrap a few CIWS in exchange for some more armor. CIWS will age faster than armor will, after all. Then again, can always do some refitting. Right now, the design will probably sit on the drawing board until I need more operational range.

I also wanted to try a maintenance vessel. However, with an expected fleet tonnage capacity of more than 120k, that's going to be at least 480k tons of maintenance modules (19k tons of minerals). I would almost certainly have to split them up into smaller ships to avoid a massive jump drive. Which means more jump ships, and more minerals. Not sure if it's worth it at this stage. Will probably stick to supply ships instead.

Moving on, the tender fleet will need a jump ship. The design I came up with also makes the ship act as a backup sensor ship and hospital ship.

Spoiler: Jump ship (click to show/hide)
Again, will probably swap CIWS for some armor.

But then I got to thinking. With missile range reduced and the new sensor models, scouts are more important than ever. So why not go with a jump scout carrier?

Spoiler: Jump scout carrier (click to show/hide)
I'm not sure how the maintenance will work here. According to the C# changelog, hangars don't offer maintenance (commercial ones at least). So will I need those maintenance modules to maintain the parasites? My main concern is stopping the maintenance clock from going up while the parasite is onboard. MSPs I can already handle easily.

As for the parasites themselves, I have a few variants. Obviously missiles are out due to commercial hangars not offering reloading. But I didn't want to leave them defenseless, either. So they will primarily scout for big ships and defend against fighters.

Spoiler: Scout FACs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Scout fighters (click to show/hide)

Out of all these, I like the scout FACs and the Hornet. The Wasp lacks range and the Jacket is too slow. The only thing irking me is the lack of a thermal sensor on the Hornet, which is a shame since I'd be able to cover more ground with four Hornets compared to two scout FACs. The alternative is to use a smaller thermal sensor but I'm then concerned about sensor range.

Also wondering which one will get detected first, the Hornet or the target. My current "best" sensors indicate the Hornet would be detected at 3 mkm on search sensor, and 9 mkm on thermal sensor. The TS50-11 will detect a thermal signal of strength 118 at 9 mkm. That's about a 1.5k ton vessel traveling at 7500 km/s (my military fleet combat speed) with 50% thermal reduction. The search sensor would detect equivalent vessel at ~3.8 mkm. Of course the GPS will probably give the game away, but at least I get early warning if the ships are moving.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #19669 on: April 25, 2020, 11:42:41 am »

After watching the hilarity of the Bannerlord steam forums after the recent update, I can respect Steve's decision to not want mods in his game.

There are hundreds of posts and bug reports caused by outdated mods causing crashes on launch. And do people say "My game is crashing so I should turn off my mods and see which one is crashing it."? Nope! They just go to the forum and say "THE GAME IS BROKEN THIS PATCH SUCKS!" or "All my skills jumped to 1023!" or "My game crashes on launch! New patch should be rolled back!"
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #19670 on: April 25, 2020, 12:51:00 pm »

Can the Bannerlord players not take the care we take with DF to mention whether we have any mods active? Is that too much for them?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19671 on: April 25, 2020, 01:10:06 pm »

Scratch the jump scout carrier. Commercial hangars are bugged in 1.6.3. You can't select a mothership with commercial hangars to land on.  :(

Is it worth making the patch jump on a 50-years-in save?

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19672 on: April 25, 2020, 02:32:26 pm »

There's probably going to be another patch within the next few days, if Steve's progress finishing off features is any indication. Personally, I'm waiting for that (and the inevitable bugfix patches that quickly follow it) before I start another game (in my current one I have explored ~40 systems without even finding any precursors, and I want to try a different industrial doctrine).

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19673 on: April 25, 2020, 03:36:33 pm »

1.9 should come out "during the weekend". It'll probably come out tomorrow evening, so I won't have time to play until next weekend :P

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #19674 on: April 25, 2020, 05:23:20 pm »

Scratch the jump scout carrier. Commercial hangars are bugged in 1.6.3. You can't select a mothership with commercial hangars to land on.  :(

Is it worth making the patch jump on a 50-years-in save?

there's still an ungodly amount of fixes coming in, and with fixes new bugs. noone can't predict how long is gonna be unstable with save breaking bugs of course, but watching the bug thread is a good indicator.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19675 on: April 25, 2020, 06:01:17 pm »

Can the Bannerlord players not take the care we take with DF to mention whether we have any mods active? Is that too much for them?

I mean, both DF and Aurora have one thing going for them, they are obscure. DF is well known these days, but I bet the playerbase has remained fairly small due to the learning curve.

Bannerlord is meme-tier popularity, and the gameplay lends itself to streamers and gameplay clips. So I'm hardly surprised that the kind of Bannerlord player who would hee and haw about bugs on the steam forums (the youtube comment section of the gaming world) would also fail to make the logical jump to 'mods might cause issues with the game.'

I think Steve is worried that kind of thing might happen, which it certainly won't since Aurora is niche as hell.

Also, I take back my earlier words, it seems Steve most recently added single-window instances to the base game:

Multiple Window Option

Currently, a new window will open every time you click the appropriate button.

For v1.9, clicking the button will only open a window if none exist. Otherwise, it will bring the current window to the front.

If you shift-click the button, it will open a new window regardless of how many are currently open.

The following windows may only have ever have one instance open:
Create Project
Missile Design
Turret Design

The Medals Window is a dialog window so retains focus while it is open.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19676 on: April 26, 2020, 08:25:14 am »

I think I've finalized on a magneto-plasma era fleet design, 56 years in.

Spoiler: Battleships (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Destroyers (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Frigates (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Carrier (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Parasites (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tankers (click to show/hide)

I've got better missiles in the pipeline.

Playing around I get a few possible fleet compositions. Ranges include return trip (except for strike range).

The ships are big. They chug oceans of fuel. They're hewn straight out of entire moons. But most importantly, they're armed and dangerous.

I hope to god I won't need more than 3-4 naval shipyard complexes.

Thoughts?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #19677 on: April 26, 2020, 08:42:06 am »

Actually, your ships aren't that big. Modern naval super carriers are bigger than your carrier, and before they were retired many battleships were bigger than those battleships.

That's one thing I like about Aurora. Ship designs actually don't get ridiculously big like in some other scifi where things are just ridiculous in size.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19678 on: April 26, 2020, 08:50:11 am »

Actually, your ships aren't that big. Modern naval super carriers are bigger than your carrier, and before they were retired many battleships were bigger than those battleships.

That's one thing I like about Aurora. Ship designs actually don't get ridiculously big like in some other scifi where things are just ridiculous in size.
Huh. I guess my standards are set rather low.  :P

Dat mineral cost and fuel consumption, though.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 08:51:52 am by da_nang »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19679 on: April 26, 2020, 09:46:02 am »

To illustrate the comparison, the last of the superdreadnoughts were HMS Vanguard and the (designed but never built) Montana-class. Vanguard clocked in at 45,000 tons, and Montana would have topped the scales at 63,000. Your 30 kiloton ships are positively svelte in comparison.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 1310 1311 [1312] 1313 1314 ... 1347