Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1221 1222 [1223] 1224 1225 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810387 times)

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #18330 on: January 10, 2017, 03:20:23 am »

IIRC he said he's not working on the VB version any more, and (at the moment) just porting everything over to C#. This includes stuff in the gane that wasn't released in VB yet.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18331 on: January 10, 2017, 06:32:18 am »

IIRC he said he's not working on the VB version any more, and (at the moment) just porting everything over to C#. This includes stuff in the gane that wasn't released in VB yet.

Correct, I remember him saying that he really doesn't have much time, and he didn't want to split it between both projects, especially as a VB release would require loads of extra support in patches and whatever.

I'm hopeful he can get something moving quickly - from what he's said it sounds like he's got most of the foundation in, it's just a case of adding all the extras.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #18332 on: January 10, 2017, 07:07:05 am »

I think I made a PTW here ages ago about downloading Aurora and starting it up.

Now I've just remembered it and have no idea how to re-download it to try and play it again past its early difficulty curve that pushes or keeps the player in. .-.
Could anyone help me out here? (Thanks ahead!)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #18333 on: January 10, 2017, 07:19:34 am »

Now I've just remembered it and have no idea how to re-download it to try and play it again past its early difficulty curve that pushes or keeps the player in. .-.

this is my favourite: the portable launcher
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=5663.0

doesn't install, has all the weird dll issues solved etc.

if you want skip some of the early grind just give yourself enough research and you'll be good, make sure it goes to magnetoplasma level tech and off you go.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18334 on: January 10, 2017, 10:03:59 am »

If you can wait, I'd just wait for the C# release. The really steep bit of the learning curve is primarily due to the clunky interface and how difficult it is to keep track of stuff - most of this seems fixed in the upcoming version.

Stuff like fleets and ship orders takes a long time to get your head around mostly due to the the interface and how you get very little visual feedback - it seems a lot of this has been sorted.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #18335 on: January 10, 2017, 10:05:54 am »

If you can wait, I'd just wait for the C# release. The really steep bit of the learning curve is primarily due to the clunky interface and how difficult it is to keep track of stuff - most of this seems fixed in the upcoming version.

Stuff like fleets and ship orders takes a long time to get your head around mostly due to the the interface and how you get very little visual feedback - it seems a lot of this has been sorted.

Truerer than true. I wonder tho, how many play with the game event log as their primary interface? XD

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18336 on: January 10, 2017, 10:38:02 am »

Geez, I can't even imagine playing like that. That's why we have the event feed on the system map window. T.T

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18337 on: January 11, 2017, 02:06:56 pm »

Wait. The interface is being updated?

i might actually play when that comes.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18338 on: January 11, 2017, 02:08:53 pm »

Wait. The interface is being updated?

i might actually play when that comes.
Everything's getting an update - he's completely rebuilding the engine from the ground up. Initial tests have been very positive - switching between systems in a very late-game save taking moments rather than multiple seconds, etc.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18339 on: January 11, 2017, 02:12:52 pm »

Oh my god. This sounds perfect. I might put effort into it and not have it drain away the second I look away from a tutorial :P

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18340 on: January 11, 2017, 03:10:04 pm »

That is hype.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18341 on: January 11, 2017, 03:11:29 pm »

That is hype.

I don't follow. I'm not sure if this is a reference to another thread or not, but I will say this. I'm not hyping myself up. I was just reacting in surprise to the fact the engine's being rebuilt.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #18342 on: January 12, 2017, 02:46:36 pm »

Oh my god. This sounds perfect.
sounds pretty hype-ey

Do note that, as far as i know, we're still not in "imminent release" territory. A lot of the groundwork's done but steve's got quite a bit more left to go, and this is in comparison to the fact he's been working on the re-construction for over a year.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #18343 on: January 12, 2017, 08:27:25 pm »

I am really looking forward to c# Auroa. Lots of little improvements everywhere. I do hope that the automatic demands and supplies happen, that I saw in the improvement thread.

There has some version of it for the AI. I dont think they teleport goods. Though the Player would need the ability to prioritize Demands.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18344 on: January 12, 2017, 10:47:55 pm »

I just hope the C# Aurora doesn't turn out to be vaporvare.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.
Pages: 1 ... 1221 1222 [1223] 1224 1225 ... 1347