Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1174 1175 [1176] 1177 1178 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811061 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17625 on: February 02, 2016, 06:57:09 am »

On that note doesn't a single point of shielding effectively stop a whole missie? If you have 22 missiles coming at you wouldnt the shield make only 21 hit you (Ignoring point defence)
A single point of shielding would absorb a single point of damage from the first missile. If each missile was doing 9 damage then a single point of shielding would stop 1 of the first 9 dealt by the first missile. You'd still take 9*21+8=197 instead of 198. To absorb that entire salvo you'd need ~200 points of shielding and if they sent two salvos you're still screwed.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17626 on: February 02, 2016, 08:21:21 am »

On that note doesn't a single point of shielding effectively stop a whole missie? If you have 22 missiles coming at you wouldnt the shield make only 21 hit you (Ignoring point defence)

There's not much of a difference between getting hit by 21 missiles instead of 22. Depending on the size and warhead strength of the missile, a 21 missile volley and a 22 missile volley can be nearly equally destructive.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17627 on: February 02, 2016, 09:32:20 am »

Ah, so each shield adds 1 point to shielding then? And thanks for the advice!

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17628 on: February 02, 2016, 09:38:22 am »

That depends on the class of shield. The better the class, the higher the shielding per shield.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17629 on: February 02, 2016, 09:47:10 am »

Aliens! We can communicate too - by missiles!  :P

I tried to fly the reconnaissance jump frigate close to their (presumed) homeworld to pick up the thermals from their population while two of their fairly slow warships intercepted. The frigate managed to go around the slow enemy ships but was hit 3 times by missiles its sensors didn't pick up. It tried to turn around and flee but was hit again and destroyed a minute later.

Half a year later, we are building jump gates for the fleet and troop transports to get there. The 19 survivors were picked up by the aliens while communications team has given up.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17630 on: February 02, 2016, 10:27:53 am »

I looked in the wiki but it doesn't have much info on this by the looks of it.
What does the add NPR button do? I know it obviously adds an NPR somewhere but where exactly does it do that?
Does it add an NPR somewhere on a planet in a system you already explored or somewhere in a system you haven't visited yet?

I want to use that button because I have explored 50 different systems almost all with suitable atmosphere yet there haven't been any NPRs so far.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17631 on: February 02, 2016, 11:01:48 am »

What does the add NPR button do? I know it obviously adds an NPR somewhere but where exactly does it do that?
Does it add an NPR somewhere on a planet in a system you already explored or somewhere in a system you haven't visited yet?

I want to use that button because I have explored 50 different systems almost all with suitable atmosphere yet there haven't been any NPRs so far.

Try turning up the NPR rate in the startup settings?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17632 on: February 02, 2016, 02:35:04 pm »

Try turning up the NPR rate in the startup settings?

Yup, just change NPR generation chance to 100%, and the next inhabitable world will have an NPR.

The "Add NPR" button, to the best of my relatively limited knowledge, actually creates a new system with an NPR in it, hidden from the player.  That system connects to the jump chain in whatever system connects systems to one another (probability of systems having jump point connecting being based on distance of the real-life stars, again from what little I can understand).  What I do know, is that it WON'T add an NPR to a system that you have already discovered.

For adding an NPR to an existing system, you open Spacemaster mode, select an suitable body on the System Information menu (which, as we have discovered through SCIENCE, is anything with oxygen or methane but not both at less than 30% but more than 10% of the total atmosphere, and no poisonous gases), and select "Create as NPR".

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17633 on: February 02, 2016, 02:42:08 pm »

I decided I'm going to do a little thing I call a genocide run. I'm going to gen a game with simply massive resources and economy and industry, and I'm going to kill every single alien I come across. NPR gen chance is 100%

Any tips?
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #17634 on: February 02, 2016, 02:48:45 pm »

I decided I'm going to do a little thing I call a genocide run. I'm going to gen a game with simply massive resources and economy and industry, and I'm going to kill every single alien I come across. NPR gen chance is 100%

Any tips?
Set NPR difficulty to 500, and turn on all non NPR threats.
Dis gunna be gud.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17635 on: February 02, 2016, 04:37:40 pm »

Aliens! We can communicate too - by missiles!  :P

"Are you friendly? Launch one missile for yes, 500 for no."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17636 on: February 02, 2016, 05:18:31 pm »

Any tips?
Set NPR difficulty to 500, and turn on all non NPR threats.
Dis gunna be gud.
To 2000% you mean. 250% is for conventional start, 500% is for standard TN start, 1000% is for TL5-6 start. Make sure to add at least one at the start of the game.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Azazass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17637 on: February 02, 2016, 07:22:51 pm »

So, I been experimenting in creating some stealth ships, this is what I call my stealth scout, it's usually the first in to go and explore a new system at half of its maximum speed. I send them in fleets of 3, I currently have 2 fleets.

I'm planning to upgrade its engines, add some more power and cut down fuel to about ~300 days once I finish some refueling outposts, that high, given that it operates far from the supply lines. It takes about

Its been in combat a few times it hasn't disappointed me, with ~20 to 2 kill ratio so far, mostly hunting down single to small groups of enemies. My biggest fear was PD, but the cloaking device has alleviated some of those fears. Basically, it's an attack submarine in SPAAAACE without torpedoes.

Spoiler: "Anyway, here it is" (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 07:32:29 pm by Azazass »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17638 on: February 02, 2016, 11:05:34 pm »

Is there any mathematical argument for building ships a certain size (Ex: Should I put 6 lasers on this ship, or 7?), either in relation to the function of part of the game, or in relation to your other ships?

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #17639 on: February 02, 2016, 11:45:30 pm »

Is there any mathematical argument for building ships a certain size (Ex: Should I put 6 lasers on this ship, or 7?), either in relation to the function of part of the game, or in relation to your other ships?

It's hard to say, but there are economies of scale for bigger ships, but increased diversity (and small efficiency and threshold improvements) when you make smaller ships too.
For instance, large fast ships can mount maximum size engines, hugely improving it's range, but need shipyards of appropriate size, maintnence facilities of appropriate size, but are much bigger blips on most radars, and have less ship-based redundancy.
Fighters on the other hand, are extremely fuel inefficient for mission tonnage, but can have fire controls of truly extreme speeds, can be built and scrapped easily via fighter factories. Due to the fighter factory dynamic, it is very easy to build new fighters for specific and niche purposes (where applicable), or easily upgraded with new technology in the sense that you just scrap old ones, build new ones.
It's hard to pin down when it's best to do something, as it's all very situational. A good way to find your "choice efficiency" though is a rather interesting doctrine: mission tonnage ratios. Basically, design your purpose-made ships to have a specific percentage of engine, ordnance, fuel, defenses, etc, and adjust them when your selected percentages aren't putting out satisfying results for your tech level. It'll make ship design a bit less... Scattered, to say the least.
Pages: 1 ... 1174 1175 [1176] 1177 1178 ... 1347