Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1172 1173 [1174] 1175 1176 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811143 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17595 on: January 31, 2016, 07:02:44 pm »

Out of time for tonight, have fun in spess!

These images are really awesome. The style reminds me of the ships from Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17596 on: January 31, 2016, 07:04:18 pm »

How difficult would it be to make a 'fighter' of 500.1 tons. and yes I know that fighters stop being fighters at 500 tons and thus would lose the ability to be made in fighter factories. or would the ability to better maintain them not be a big enough trade off?

Well, "fighter" is described as something that can made in a fighter factory and use fighter-specific items.  So at 500.1 tons, it's just not a fighter.  We generally call them Gunboats, Fast Attack Craft (FAC), or Small Craft if they are over 500 tons but not more than 1000 tons.  The primary distinction between these ships and larger ships is that they don't require a Bridge.

True fighters generally shouldn't have issues with maintenance: They should be on Carriers most of the time and therefore not racking up a lot of wear and tear.  They're designed relatively flimsy and they can't be retrofitted, therefore you don't actually want them to last 10+ years.

Since the smallest military shipyard can make a minimum of 1000 tons, I generally consider it wasteful to build them much below 1000 tons unless I'm building them to fit in a specific carrier design.  An example: Say you have fighters of 300 tons for whatever reason.  So you might also design an 800 ton Gunship and stack them as 4 fighters, 1 gunship per 2000 tons of Carrier capacity.

My girlfriend saw me playing this and said "Another one of those games? Why don't you play anything good, with graphics?"

My wife said, yet another spreadsheet in space?

Ask her "I thought you valued imagination?"   :P
Then show her Dorsidwarf's pictures and ask if they help.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17597 on: January 31, 2016, 07:14:25 pm »

Take up EVE online and play the spreadsheet management game.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17598 on: January 31, 2016, 08:21:06 pm »

Gaaaaaaah, I'm so bothered! My five day turns are literally taking about two and a half minutes to complete! I really don't want to have to start another game just because of the slow turns, but it looks like I may have to! The ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE friendly fleet from the People's Republic of Zuckerman is certainly not helping either! uuuuuuuugh!

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17599 on: February 01, 2016, 01:21:46 am »

Now ready are 8 cruisers of 4 heavily armored, 36 destroyers and 5 corvettes, most of them built them so that they can be refitted "easily" ( = can be done a couple of times cheaper than building a ships) and most of them are in fact fully up to date.

All the Federation now lacks is an enemy.  :P

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
  • Gobo the other white meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17600 on: February 01, 2016, 01:46:09 am »

from what I have seen in a few screens couldn't you stage a rebellion by first granting a colony freedom then giving the colony lots of other colonies then declare them enemies then have fun?
So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

I will be so god damn proud if AMBASSADOR bites your head off.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17601 on: February 01, 2016, 02:14:01 am »

Gaaaaaaah, I'm so bothered! My five day turns are literally taking about two and a half minutes to complete! I really don't want to have to start another game just because of the slow turns, but it looks like I may have to! The ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE friendly fleet from the People's Republic of Zuckerman is certainly not helping either! uuuuuuuugh!
It is probablytemporary, you could likely set it to autskip turns and then walk away for an hour, you might get slaughtered in the meantime, but meh...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #17602 on: February 01, 2016, 06:05:47 am »

question: I heard that every ship has a smallest size free sensor within, is that true? how does it work? can I rely on it for final defensive fire?

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17603 on: February 01, 2016, 06:28:47 am »

No, it is only smallest size passive sensors. For final defensive you'd need actives.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17604 on: February 01, 2016, 07:12:27 am »

Also note, you will only get final defensive fire if the incoming missile is detected by your actives before it makes it's final interception move. So against a fast enough missile and with a poor enough active sensor, it is entirely possible for a missile to completely cross your detection range in it's final 5 second interval approach, causing your PD not to fire. CIWS is an exception to this as it will always fire, even if a missile is otherwise undetected.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #17605 on: February 01, 2016, 12:19:21 pm »

Also note, you will only get final defensive fire if the incoming missile is detected by your actives before it makes it's final interception move. So against a fast enough missile and with a poor enough active sensor, it is entirely possible for a missile to completely cross your detection range in it's final 5 second interval approach, causing your PD not to fire. CIWS is an exception to this as it will always fire, even if a missile is otherwise undetected.
Well shoot, I didn't know that part! I'll keep that in mind.
question: I heard that every ship has a smallest size free sensor within, is that true? how does it work? can I rely on it for final defensive fire?
But yeah, as stated, the sensors are passives only, and they have a strength of 1. What this means is that installing any power 1 sensors to your vessels are completely redundant, so making extra-tiny passives usually isn't a concern, early game.
However, it is worth noting that all size 1 sensors are Commercial designs, and at low tech have a sensor strength of 5 or more, so they could be added to civilian sensors to multiply their sensing range by a mild amount.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17606 on: February 01, 2016, 03:03:05 pm »

Speedwell transport, IE the one mentioned when I did a turn-by-turn of the First Contact Incident as killing an alien cruiser by being rammed.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17607 on: February 01, 2016, 04:00:34 pm »

Made first contact. Got exploded. Is it a good idea to create a sacrificial sensor ship? I don't like that my first Ayyy contact ever is hostile.

In other news, when I posted what she said she asked why and what I thought would be said. I let her know that I was probably going to be told to leave her, so I found it very funny  (also inevitable) when I saw it. Bay12 never fails to deliver.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17608 on: February 01, 2016, 04:22:45 pm »

What's a good guideline for setting intended deployment times? Roughly the length of time fuel will last? Twice as much? Three times?

Also, what's the process for resetting a ship's deployment time, after they start to go over and morale begins to drop?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17609 on: February 01, 2016, 04:34:56 pm »

What's a good guideline for setting intended deployment times? Roughly the length of time fuel will last? Twice as much? Three times?

Also, what's the process for resetting a ship's deployment time, after they start to go over and morale begins to drop?
I know it's a bit of a cop-out, but it depends on how much moving the ship will do.  For two examples, a gravsurvey ship can be expected to spend the vast majority of its active deployment moving since survey locations require relatively little in the way of survey points, while a geosurvey ship can be expected to spend much more time parked over planets and other large bodies that require multiple hundreds of survey points to scan.  The former will thus require much more fuel than the latter over the course of their deployment times.  Military ships can be expected, likewise, to spend much more time maneuvering, but may also be operating with a fuel tanker in the case of large fleet operations.  So, basically, it depends.  I usually start by specifying a deployment time, scaling the fuel capacity to within 20% or so of it, then if I expect the ship to spend a lot of time parked or reliant on external fuel storage, scale down the fuel back down from there.  Otherwise, I just look at extra fuel capacity as being a cushion for maneuvering.  If your ship goes over on crew deployment time, your crew gets a bit unhappy.  If your ship goes over its expected maintenance life, it's still all probabilistic if you get a bad breakdown or not, but it's only a matter of repairing from MSP (assuming, of course, you packed enough).  If you run out of fuel in the middle of combat (because you took an unlucky hit to the fuel tanks or because you just ran dry), you're in a bit of a pickle. 

As for resetting a ship's deployment time, simply park it in the same location as either a colony with a sufficiently large population (10,000) or a ship with a recreation module.  It will go on shore leave, which will lower its deployment time to zero.  No extra orders are needed; all you need to do is have the ship moved there.  Shore leave, unlike overhauls, can also be interrupted at any time to give the ship new orders. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 04:37:39 pm by Culise »
Pages: 1 ... 1172 1173 [1174] 1175 1176 ... 1347