Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1145 1146 [1147] 1148 1149 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808576 times)

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
  • Gobo the other white meat
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17190 on: January 20, 2016, 03:39:25 pm »

I meant the Terra ships the Grendel Class terraformer ships are monsters with 40 Terraforming modules per ship. (I set the shipyard to continual expansion and came back to see it at almost 1.1 million tons so I used it all with this class.

Another quick question is it impossible to get Titan warm enough I got my greenhouse factor to 3 and it is still -43.2 degrees. If I add water will the albedo go up? since it doesn't have an ice cap to melt.
So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

I will be so god damn proud if AMBASSADOR bites your head off.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17191 on: January 20, 2016, 03:54:24 pm »

Just started a new game in a slightly less peaceful world - How do I spent my starting RP?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17192 on: January 20, 2016, 04:28:24 pm »

Activate SM Mode, then go to the Research screen.  In the area below the research areas and scientist list where you'd normally click Create to begin researching a topic, you'll now see several new options.  The most important of these for this purpose are the Instant button and the Starting RP counter (which seems to exist even without SM Mode active, but as it is).  The latter shows how many free RP points you have left.  The former is used to instantly give you the selected tech.  Pick a tech, press Instant to obtain it, and your Starting RP decrements by the cost of that tech, allowing you to keep track of your budget. 

EDT:
Also, in case you're curious about the rest of the new options, Instant RST instantly grants the race all created technologies that have been designed for that race - the sort of research projects that are generated when you design a new tech like engines, jump engines, sensors, turrets, or missiles, for example.  Compare brings up a new window in which, as the button name implies, you can compare empires' technological progress and give technology from one to the other - useful for RP'd tech trades. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 04:33:35 pm by Culise »

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17193 on: January 20, 2016, 04:36:10 pm »

Is it possible for me to create my own system with my own planets? I want to set up my own customized system with about 3 separate races so that I can practice with the combat mechanic a bit.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17194 on: January 20, 2016, 04:42:30 pm »

Is it possible for me to create my own system with my own planets? I want to set up my own customized system with about 3 separate races so that I can practice with the combat mechanic a bit.
Best you can do as far as I know is to pick a system type and generate it... if you don't like it, delete and generate a new one.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17195 on: January 20, 2016, 08:38:32 pm »

Just made my system! There's a total of 4 distinct races in this system, including myself: The Remnants of Sol.

I don't know how to feel about this start though. I created the system, the races, mineral deposits, etc. Before 5 days were up, there were already a bajillion ships flying around and I didn't even have a fighter up yet. Fortunately, none of the ships attacked me (They might not have been able to, because I'm pretty sure they were all beam ships and so they couldn't attack my planet, and there certainly weren't any warships around.)

Using one of my warships that I cheated in (sorry lol, wouldn't risk that hour or two of setup time just to immediately lose), I destroyed a squishy, one armor unit vessel with ten size 9 missiles. Nice. This has actually really helped me understand how to use the combat mechanic.

Once I blew up the vessel, it launched life pods and am currently sending out a few ships to pick them up. How do I interrogate POWs that I got from the life pods?

My only problem with this save is that it takes forever to do turns, not so much because of the 3 different NPRs in my system, but because they're constantly fighting, so I'm only able to go at 5 seconds turns every now and then and that's super obnoxious, especially when I'm a bit of a way away from the enemy ships I'm trying to hunt down with my beam cruisers.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17196 on: January 20, 2016, 09:08:47 pm »

Also, I seem to be having trouble targeting things from the Combat Overview tab. In fact, it just straight up won't. I have to go to a specific ship's weapon systems thorough the Ships tab in order to get them to fire. Active sensors are on, enemy ships are well within range of my fire controls.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17197 on: January 20, 2016, 09:14:00 pm »

Just made my system! There's a total of 4 distinct races in this system, including myself: The Remnants of Sol.

I don't know how to feel about this start though. I created the system, the races, mineral deposits, etc. Before 5 days were up, there were already a bajillion ships flying around and I didn't even have a fighter up yet. Fortunately, none of the ships attacked me (They might not have been able to, because I'm pretty sure they were all beam ships and so they couldn't attack my planet, and there certainly weren't any warships around.)

Using one of my warships that I cheated in (sorry lol, wouldn't risk that hour or two of setup time just to immediately lose), I destroyed a squishy, one armor unit vessel with ten size 9 missiles. Nice. This has actually really helped me understand how to use the combat mechanic.

Once I blew up the vessel, it launched life pods and am currently sending out a few ships to pick them up. How do I interrogate POWs that I got from the life pods?

My only problem with this save is that it takes forever to do turns, not so much because of the 3 different NPRs in my system, but because they're constantly fighting, so I'm only able to go at 5 seconds turns every now and then and that's super obnoxious, especially when I'm a bit of a way away from the enemy ships I'm trying to hunt down with my beam cruisers.
If i remember right NPR auto research up to a certain level and use the OOB point to fast spawn a few ship up to a certain amount of point there too. The player could do that too but most player does not or use the OOB for a *oh shit* moment to fast create a couple of warship should they get in real trouble.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17198 on: January 20, 2016, 10:27:30 pm »

Also, I seem to be having trouble targeting things from the Combat Overview tab. In fact, it just straight up won't. I have to go to a specific ship's weapon systems thorough the Ships tab in order to get them to fire. Active sensors are on, enemy ships are well within range of my fire controls.

Now my fighters just won't fire at their target... UUuuuuuugh. It just keeps saying that the ship is "preparing to fire but her weapons are not ready to fire."

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17199 on: January 20, 2016, 10:32:58 pm »

Now my fighters just won't fire at their target... UUuuuuuugh. It just keeps saying that the ship is "preparing to fire but her weapons are not ready to fire."
Their trainning level must be too low. Very important to have your ship trained or else they are not used to prepare weapon for fight effectivly loosing time to prep them. *Heating coil, sending the right power distribution, coordination between ship department etc*. I believe this is how steve said it once?
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17200 on: January 20, 2016, 10:37:43 pm »

Their trainning level must be too low. Very important to have your ship trained or else they are not used to prepare weapon for fight effectivly loosing time to prep them. *Heating coil, sending the right power distribution, coordination between ship department etc*. I believe this is how steve said it once?

So they shouldn't fire for literally the entire engagement? That's kinda ridiculous. All six of the fighters were destroyed because none of them would shoot their lasers at the enemy.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17201 on: January 20, 2016, 10:43:45 pm »

At 0% it can take minutes for them to get their shit together.  Around 70% it should only be 10 seconds to a minute.  Training level of crew/ship help reduce this as well.

Training level also affects order confirmation as well.  When you give an order and their are unfriendlys in the same system you'll see ships take time to enact new orders.  Like telling civilian ships to run away.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17202 on: January 20, 2016, 11:32:37 pm »

So they shouldn't fire for literally the entire engagement? That's kinda ridiculous. All six of the fighters were destroyed because none of them would shoot their lasers at the enemy.
I remember when i sent my first battlestar into an hostile advanced NPR system... man.... My battlestar was moving toward the center of the system then hostile contact appeared, i was way more outnumbered than i first tough i would be. Starts setting up my fire control, give orders and so on.... then i realise nothing is going on and i have salvo over salvoes coming toward me..... Check my ship stats, i took the wrong ship!! I had the untrained battlestar and took about 20 minute before weapons came online. Good thing i went crazy with the CIWS or else my 175k ton ship would be space dust. No missile whatsoever went trough, well thats not right 2 of them came trough but the shear size of the ship and the 9 armor rating it had i didnt really feel it.

CIWS can be lifesaver if you use the big ship doctrine instead of multiple smaller size ships. When my ship finaly realised it was under attack they didnt last too long i can tell you that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thats when i realised that the AMM system was useless, not because it wasnt effective, but because it wasnt needed haha.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:35:00 pm by jocan2003 »

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17203 on: January 20, 2016, 11:43:31 pm »

At 0% it can take minutes for them to get their shit together.  Around 70% it should only be 10 seconds to a minute.  Training level of crew/ship help reduce this as well.

Training level also affects order confirmation as well.  When you give an order and their are unfriendlys in the same system you'll see ships take time to enact new orders.  Like telling civilian ships to run away.

On my arena combat save, I've spawned in different ship types and immediately sent them into battle and THEY would shoot their lasers normally. My fighters, on the other hand, just pussyfooted around the target, continuously claiming they weren't ready to fire. I don't have an issue with the order delay for unskilled crews either. The fighters arn't still "acknowledging" the orders, they're just spamming messages about how it can't shoot until it gets shreked by anti missile missiles (my fighters are cheap little no armor laser fighters.)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17204 on: January 20, 2016, 11:54:31 pm »

Because of how you've set that scenario up I would suggest turning off fleet training to even the odds.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 1145 1146 [1147] 1148 1149 ... 1347