Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1128 1129 [1130] 1131 1132 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808938 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16935 on: January 11, 2016, 01:54:12 pm »

edit: If I mount a terraformer module on a ship and aprk it in orbit, does that bypass the farcial "100% of colonists are farmers and not a single one will terraform ever"?
Yes, terraforming modules (and mining modules and maintenance modules, and whatever other modules there are that I can't remember) are run by the crew of the ship, not the planetary population. And it's not literally everyone is a farmer, it's people who need to be working to keep themselves and others alive. Fixing holes in infrastructure, running air filtration... And it's completely possible to avoid that problem anyway: don't colonise very high cost worlds.
Venus was the only other world in my solar system with more than 10,000 of any mineral. Also I like the idea of beating venus. Venus is a terrible place.

EDIT: Venus colony has been made irrelevant by the discovery of a world with 500k of each resources at earthlike habitability in the nearby system.

Yeah, that is why I love exploring.  I'm prone to spend all my starting points on Engines and Jump Drives (and Gravsensors when I remember).

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16936 on: January 11, 2016, 03:33:56 pm »

Noticed an alien JG suddenly appear on a previously-explored JP. It was funny, because none of the worlds in either system had had NPRs on them. So I popped back into the system that JP connected to, Alpha Centauri, and found a lovely stable wormhole one jump from Sol, with the point already gated.

I don't even have any warships yet, and my military tech is still pretty pathetic. Time to start cranking out meson FACs and praying. :V

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16937 on: January 11, 2016, 04:33:46 pm »

Man, I have yet to encounter an NPR. I want something to blow up already, even if it means myself being blown up a tad.

I'm a huge fan of slightly sided stalemates, so hopefully when I do encounter NPRs, they aren't too strong or too weak. I want to use the opportunity to expand my military ship designing. I can't really explain why, I just don't like completely wrecking or being completely wrecked.

I'm kind of worried that I may have accidentally turned off the spawning of NPRs or if I'm just getting unlucky/lucky.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16938 on: January 11, 2016, 04:38:13 pm »

Man, I have yet to encounter an NPR. I want something to blow up already, even if it means myself being blown up a tad.

I'm a huge fan of slightly sided stalemates. I can't really explain why, I just don't like completely wrecking or being completely wrecked.

I'm kind of worried that I may have accidentally turned off the spawning of NPRs or if I'm just getting unlucky/lucky.
You can pop out of the game anytime.

When you select the game, you should see the NPR generation chance for both NPR and yourself.  Finding NPR triggers if there is a suitable planet for NPR and only upon system generation.  (When you(or the NPR) first explorefind a system by jumping through the jump point.)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 05:15:41 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16939 on: January 11, 2016, 04:41:01 pm »

Weird bug - I've got two "colonies" which are seperate, but on the same planet. This is excruciatingly annoying, since one has all the mining and the other has all the factories.

Edit: Venus update: I've removed a tenth of the earth's atmosphere ('s worth of CO2) from venus. The Yorkshire Farmer may be there for a very, very long time.

Edit: Just specced up this laser boat as a colony defense ship for the home system (Despite the 99atm pressure, 300+degree temperature, acid rain, and neverending storm-force winds, there are 7 million colonists on Venus, eking out a living. Pretty sure they'll be wanting colony defense soon, and a ship seemed like a good way to do it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Channel class Destroyer    10 000 tons     259 Crew     1916.6 BP      TCS 200  TH 600  EM 0
4000 km/s     Armour 1-41     Shields 0-0     Sensors 5/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 28     PPV 88.34
Maint Life 6.48 Years     MSP 3216    AFR 43%    IFR 0.6%    1YR 132    5YR 1980    Max Repair 577 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 72 months    Spare Berths 0   
Flag Bridge   

Rolls-Royce 400EP Internal Fusion Drive EPH0.48 1kt (2)    Power 400    Fuel Use 48%    Signature 300    Exp 10%
Fuel Capacity 250 000 Litres    Range 9.4 billion km   (27 days at full power) <Yes, this looks awful! However, this ship is probbably never going further than venus except with the Jump Tanker.

Power-Grant 20cm C2 Ultraviolet Laser (1)    Range 96 000km     TS: 4000 km/s     Power 10-2     RM 4    ROF 25        10 6 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2x Burns 25cm C2 Far UV-Las Turret (1x2)    Range 96 000km     TS: 30000 km/s     Power 32-4     RM 5    ROF 40        16 13 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Bartlett Fire Control S03 48-12000 H70 (1)    Max Range: 96 000 km   TS: 12000 km/s     69 38 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Barker Active Search Sensor MR14-R100 (1)     GPS 2400     Range 14.4m km    Resolution 100
Barker Thermal Sensor TH1-5 (2)     Sensitivity 5     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  5m km

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 05:06:11 pm by Dorsidwarf »
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16940 on: January 11, 2016, 08:10:30 pm »

What does a flag bridge do?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16941 on: January 11, 2016, 08:48:14 pm »

Serves as a mobile HQ for an entirely separate "staff" (operations officer, intelligence officer, etc.) from your capital.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16942 on: January 11, 2016, 08:48:25 pm »

First off you can merge all colony you control and has the same political status IE: Imperial population into a single one! As for the flag bridge it allow you to create a task force on the ship so the bonus follow the fleet.

When you start you only have the starting task force where you assign a commander and all the bonus only applies to the sol system. But if you make a big fleet with dedicated surveyor ( IE you want to survey in a potentialy dangerous system or depending on your game doctrine (Self imposed rules)). As long your ship with the flag bridge is in the same system all task force section will receive their corresponding bonus, suck as fleet initiative, training, fighter reload bonus etc.

Also i wanted for a good time to make a big ass military ship in the 175k tons but since my game was kinda peacefull so far( Cleaned up a star swarm and precursor ), i was holding back due to the massive ressource maintenance sinkhole such a ship would create, then i had a stroke of genius.

I built a PDC with enough hangar capacity to actualy get that behemoth docked and poof no more maintenance, feature? bug? exploit? i dont care. Since fighter that are docked doesnt tick their maintenance clock or use maintenance supplies in minerals i tought eh why not oversize it! Now im gonna have a mothership landed on eartha nd beware the crazy mofo trying to move to sol hahaha!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16943 on: January 11, 2016, 09:27:04 pm »

Quick question, how do I fire at enemy ships that have an insane ECM value? My ships laser and missiles targeting systems are unable to even fire at them because of 0% hit chance.
I tried to shoot missiles at them via waypoints but the missiles just seemed to pass through them.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16944 on: January 11, 2016, 09:31:29 pm »

First off you can merge all colony you control and has the same political status IE: Imperial population into a single one!
Not yet you can't. That's slated for 7.2, which isn't out yet.

3. Run Resize Enable

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #16945 on: January 11, 2016, 11:00:36 pm »

Noticed an alien JG suddenly appear on a previously-explored JP. It was funny, because none of the worlds in either system had had NPRs on them. So I popped back into the system that JP connected to, Alpha Centauri, and found a lovely stable wormhole one jump from Sol, with the point already gated.

I don't even have any warships yet, and my military tech is still pretty pathetic. Time to start cranking out meson FACs and praying. :V
PDCs. You absolutely want PDCs. What I use is one with missiles (15 size 3 missile launchers, or more of you want loads of PYOOM), a PDC with relatively large active sensors in several range bands so your other PDCs can actually fire on enemies bearing down on your home planet, a PDC with low range turreted mesons rated for the highest velocity possible and set to Final Fire mode, and a PDC with some hangars to store fighters planetside. That's my Starters Kit for PDCs at least.
If you're not against using it so late in the game, feel free to use Fast OOB Creation under Spacemaster menu, it has a point-buy display available which basically is supposed to represent how many vessels you were to start with at game-start.

First off you can merge all colony you control and has the same political status IE: Imperial population into a single one! As for the flag bridge it allow you to create a task force on the ship so the bonus follow the fleet.

When you start you only have the starting task force where you assign a commander and all the bonus only applies to the sol system. But if you make a big fleet with dedicated surveyor ( IE you want to survey in a potentialy dangerous system or depending on your game doctrine (Self imposed rules)). As long your ship with the flag bridge is in the same system all task force section will receive their corresponding bonus, suck as fleet initiative, training, fighter reload bonus etc.

Also i wanted for a good time to make a big ass military ship in the 175k tons but since my game was kinda peacefull so far( Cleaned up a star swarm and precursor ), i was holding back due to the massive ressource maintenance sinkhole such a ship would create, then i had a stroke of genius.

I built a PDC with enough hangar capacity to actualy get that behemoth docked and poof no more maintenance, feature? bug? exploit? i dont care. Since fighter that are docked doesnt tick their maintenance clock or use maintenance supplies in minerals i tought eh why not oversize it! Now im gonna have a mothership landed on eartha nd beware the crazy mofo trying to move to sol hahaha!
You can comfortably fluff that as building a facility which can indefinitely sustain a ship's systems without decay or loss of non mundane resources. Hangars are damn expensive per the size of the ship you're trying to accommodate, usually, anyway.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16946 on: January 12, 2016, 12:25:18 am »

Quick question, how do I fire at enemy ships that have an insane ECM value? My ships laser and missiles targeting systems are unable to even fire at them because of 0% hit chance.
I tried to shoot missiles at them via waypoints but the missiles just seemed to pass through them.
Get closer.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16947 on: January 12, 2016, 12:39:24 am »

PDCs. You absolutely want PDCs. What I use is one with missiles (15 size 3 missile launchers, or more of you want loads of PYOOM), a PDC with relatively large active sensors in several range bands so your other PDCs can actually fire on enemies bearing down on your home planet, a PDC with low range turreted mesons rated for the highest velocity possible and set to Final Fire mode, and a PDC with some hangars to store fighters planetside. That's my Starters Kit for PDCs at least.
If you're not against using it so late in the game, feel free to use Fast OOB Creation under Spacemaster menu, it has a point-buy display available which basically is supposed to represent how many vessels you were to start with at game-start.

I don't think I conveyed the tech level I'm at right now well enough, or how small my industrial base is. Pumping out one decent-sized PDC would take months or years with every factory working on it, and my missile tech is all at or below the second tech in each respective chain. I also have only 60ish ordinance factories. I can't assume I'll get lucky, and my tech is shit all around except for sensors and drives. All I really have is a decent three-slipway military yard and magneto-plasma drives. Hence, meson FACs--I'll need lots to soak up the plasma torp fire, but they're cheap and fast to build, and the wonderful thing about mesons is that TL1 mesons can still wreck anything that they can be put in range of; I don't have a snowball's chance in hell of laying down enough missile fire to batter down the shields on Invader cruisers.

3. Run Resize Enable

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16948 on: January 12, 2016, 01:53:39 am »

Get closer.
They have a crap ton of meson cannons so I was hoping to avoid that, thanks anyway.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16949 on: January 12, 2016, 01:59:31 am »

Get closer.
They have a crap ton of meson cannons so I was hoping to avoid that, thanks anyway.

If they spent that much on ECM then your ships SHOULD have the advantage. If you are really worried, research a level of ECCM and build Ships specifically designed to fight mesons.
Pages: 1 ... 1128 1129 [1130] 1131 1132 ... 1347