Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1112 1113 [1114] 1115 1116 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809505 times)

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16695 on: January 05, 2016, 05:04:36 pm »

I'm getting on the Aurora train too after wanting to play for a few years. Quill18 has convinced me to start a campaign.

In one of his video's he's tooling a shipyard for 2 different classes, a freighter and a colony ship. When googling how to do this (the Aurora wiki and forums are more down than up). All I can find is that I have to make the very similar. So I only changed the cargo thing into a cryo thing but that didn't do it. Can someone tell me how to do this

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16696 on: January 05, 2016, 05:08:08 pm »

In my experience, you can build a freighter on a colony ship yard, but not the other way around.

Build a freighter design, save it. Copy the design as a new design, remove the cargo holds and add cryo transports until it's the same weight (or very nearly so) as the freighter. Rename and reclass as a colony ship and save that. Then assign your shipyard to the colony ship design, and you should then be able to choose either the freighter or the colony ship when building new construction.

Try not to change anything else, because the more changes you make, the higher the refit cost and the ability to build multiple designs on the same yard is based on refit cost.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16697 on: January 05, 2016, 05:12:09 pm »

You can usually built freighters of a similar size to another ship that otherwise uses the same components, yes. Makes sense since you're pretty much just leaving an empty space for the cargo holds.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16698 on: January 05, 2016, 05:18:45 pm »

When you tool for a certain class, you can also build classes that are very similar.  I think it's something like within 10% or 20% of the tooled ship's size and cost.  So if you have a cargo ship and a cryo ship that are nearly the same weight, and also nearly the same cost, you can build both.

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16699 on: January 05, 2016, 05:21:55 pm »

It must have been the weight. I changed only 1 component but didn't consider that the components might have different weights. Thanks I'll try that!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16700 on: January 05, 2016, 05:24:06 pm »

Wow, somebody asked about smaller screens and got an answer without Flying Dice magically appearing.  I didn't think that was possible.
Sorry, I was napping!   :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16701 on: January 05, 2016, 05:25:19 pm »

Unrelated, anyone know if there's a way to scrape the data from the game?  Like if, for instance, I wanted to make a 3rd party program to handle data and sort/compile/make decisions?  Is there an easy way to get information out of the database?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16702 on: January 05, 2016, 05:26:11 pm »

It actually tells you in the designer whether you could build another of your designs from a shipyard tooled for this design.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16703 on: January 05, 2016, 05:26:31 pm »

When you tool for a certain class, you can also build classes that are very similar.  I think it's something like within 10% or 20% of the tooled ship's size and cost.  So if you have a cargo ship and a cryo ship that are nearly the same weight, and also nearly the same cost, you can build both.
Well, but it's not just the total size and cost, it's the refit cost. You could have a 20000-ton asteroid miner and a 20000-ton cruiser, and even if you somehw made them similar in total cost, the refit cost would be huge because of the difference in components.

What it means in practical terms is that you can upgrade the electronics (sensors, fire control, reactors, etc.) on a design and usually build the next "block refit" on the same line (think of it like upgraing the F-15A to the F-15C). Upgrading weapons or shields is dicier, but still possible if they're not big part of the total overall ship.

Upgrading engines ALWAYS means a new design and a retool of the shipyard, because engines tend to be large and expensive.

This is one reason I've started going with a modular design, where a lot of my civilian ships are just "pods" that I use tugs to haul around. Then I only have to upgrade the tugs when I get a new engine tech.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16704 on: January 05, 2016, 05:28:56 pm »

That actually sounds like a really, really good idea...

However, doesent that take alot of extra crew as a result of doubled up components?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16705 on: January 05, 2016, 05:30:55 pm »

It actually tells you in the designer whether you could build another of your designs from a shipyard tooled for this design.
Oh hey, that's quite cool. Hadn't noticed it without looking for it. Shipyards tooled for my first frigate design can apparently also build the shit troop transport I forgot to obsolete and uses some long-outdated civilian engines. What.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16706 on: January 05, 2016, 05:33:42 pm »

Oh hey, that's quite cool. Hadn't noticed it without looking for it. Shipyards tooled for my first frigate design can apparently also build the shit troop transport I forgot to obsolete and uses some long-outdated civilian engines. What.
Its probably just barely within the refit cost requirements or something. I made my Geo and Grav survey ships interchangable so I just refit them and build both from the same shipyard

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16707 on: January 05, 2016, 05:34:13 pm »

However, doesent that take alot of extra crew as a result of doubled up components?
Why wouldn't you use conscript crews on your commercial shipping?

3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16708 on: January 05, 2016, 05:35:16 pm »

Why wouldn't you use conscript crews on your commercial shipping?
Roleplaying, I suppose. Same reason I don't magic my teams around to various planets but have a nice big luxury passenger shuttle for them

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16709 on: January 05, 2016, 05:40:14 pm »

Heh, different strokes, I suppose. I rather like the idea of it as an alternative sentencing for spacers, where they can choose between prison time or a term of service on some forty year old shit-duty freighter hauling minerals around.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1112 1113 [1114] 1115 1116 ... 1347