Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1077 1078 [1079] 1080 1081 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811074 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16170 on: April 01, 2015, 10:26:12 pm »

IIRC, units created with fast OOB (which we would obviously use to create the fleets) start not only with full magazines, but do so at no cost. I could be wrong, and missile manufacturing can be a real issue in a full game.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16171 on: April 01, 2015, 10:30:53 pm »

They do as long as you give them default loadouts. And you would, presumably, since the premise is standalone battles.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #16172 on: April 02, 2015, 10:23:33 am »

They do as long as you give them default loadouts. And you would, presumably, since the premise is standalone battles.

Yup, that's the plan.

However, we could have the game calculate how much the missiles and ships and everything would cost, so we could limit resources, it would just take more work than doing it by build points.

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16173 on: April 04, 2015, 05:54:27 pm »

Hi friends!

As you know (or not) I am dedicating my time to learn this game, but I'm having 2 problems called :
"Error 76 was generated by Aurora path not found"
"Error 424 was generated by Aurora object required"

This seems to happen when I let the game run in auto-turns 30 days increments
Google is not helping me much. :(

Edit: found something related with MSSTDFMT.DLL error . . .
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 07:14:26 pm by pondicherry »
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16174 on: April 04, 2015, 07:44:22 pm »

If the .dll is missing:

IT WORKS!

Here's the fix for anyone with 64 bit win7 and probably vista, since this isn't documented anywhere specifically on their forums I'm going to post it here :P

If you're getting the MSSTDFMT.dll file is missing when you press F9 for necessary star system information:
1. Download the dll here http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msstdfmt
2. Drop the .dll in C:/windows/syswow64
3. Open up the command line as administrator and type the second to last line outlined in red

It will now work upon restarting the game.

The image was broken, so here's what you need to enter in cmd: regsvr32 c:\windows\syswow64\msstdfmt.dll

If you're on a 32 bit OS rather than a 64 bit one, instead drop the .dll into c:\windows\system32 and enter this into cmd: regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\msstdfmt.dll

3. Run Resize Enable

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16175 on: April 05, 2015, 05:25:57 am »

Thank you for your patience Flying Dice! I did as you said and I'm going to start a new game to continue my learning :D.
Edit1: Created a new game but the same 2 errors appeared. I'm sad.. why isn't this working I'm using the portable version (because I can't change my settings (region and decimal separator etc.). Maybe that is the problem? :(
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 02:01:01 pm by pondicherry »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16176 on: April 05, 2015, 01:16:45 pm »

That might well be. If you'd post the full, exact text from the messages, that'd help us figure out what's going on. It's no trouble at all.  :)

3. Run Resize Enable

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16177 on: April 05, 2015, 02:02:30 pm »

Apparently i did manage to get it working by choosing the zip. file of the portable version instead of the installer. (I'm happy now)
Im sorry for all this mess  :-[
I don't know exactly what was causing the Errors but well "apparently" is working I did managed to research TN for the first time !!!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16178 on: April 05, 2015, 02:23:48 pm »

Hehe, no worries, it's working now and that's all that matters.

3. Run Resize Enable

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16179 on: April 06, 2015, 06:16:58 am »

I looked around and I can't find any standalone scenarios for this game. I mean something like scenarios in the Harpoon series.

I was searching for scenarios where two fleets engage each other, maybe even with some kind of objective like to slip a stealth ship through enemy picket line, or something simple like cruiser defending a civilian freighter against couple of fighters and gunboats which are trying to destroy it.

I start to play aurora every couple of months but I get bored each time and give up every time before any kind of combat ensues; probably due to my limited leisure time and short attention span. I reckon I would enjoy caned scenarios more than the complex 4x game.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16180 on: April 06, 2015, 08:30:47 am »

If I had to guess, it'd be because you'd have to redownload a new archive every time you wanted a new scenario, and you'd have to keep them all separate and labelled. It'd eat up a lot of discspace, which is unfortunate, because I like the idea as well. Also, because you'd have to unzip the archive again every time you wanted to replay a given scenario, since there's no way to revert to a different save state due to the nature of the game.

It's unfortunate, because that sort of system is exactly the type of feature that's great with games like Aurora.

3. Run Resize Enable

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16181 on: April 06, 2015, 09:12:48 am »

I looked around and I can't find any standalone scenarios for this game. I mean something like scenarios in the Harpoon series.

I was searching for scenarios where two fleets engage each other, maybe even with some kind of objective like to slip a stealth ship through enemy picket line, or something simple like cruiser defending a civilian freighter against couple of fighters and gunboats which are trying to destroy it.

I start to play aurora every couple of months but I get bored each time and give up every time before any kind of combat ensues; probably due to my limited leisure time and short attention span. I reckon I would enjoy caned scenarios more than the complex 4x game.

Not quite what you were looking for, but here's one.

Scenarios for Aurora is a cool concept, but I'm not sure how well the AI deals with being edited. It's something I might try to experiment with one day; it would be kind of fun to create stuff like the scenario you describe.

Sagal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16182 on: April 08, 2015, 02:38:04 pm »

So did you guys get anywhere with the battles? I'm eager to hear how it works and how much of an hassle it is

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16183 on: April 08, 2015, 05:10:14 pm »

So did you guys get anywhere with the battles? I'm eager to hear how it works and how much of an hassle it is

I'm watching to see how Kytuzian's tournament goes. I have my only plan but it would require a lot of setup, so I want to make sure there's enough people interested first.

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #16184 on: April 11, 2015, 10:34:28 pm »

I'm watching to see how Kytuzian's tournament goes. I have my only plan but it would require a lot of setup, so I want to make sure there's enough people interested first.

Yes, well only one person said they would take part as far as I recall, so unless some more people want to join, I don't think it's going to happen -- although I'd be happy (unless it ends up being too much of a hassle) to have 1v1 fights with anyone who wants to.
Pages: 1 ... 1077 1078 [1079] 1080 1081 ... 1347