Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1074 1075 [1076] 1077 1078 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811173 times)

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16125 on: March 29, 2015, 02:44:51 pm »

Hello all of you!

So, basically i am newb in aurora, but i did managed to install and put things working. However, i dunno nothing about the game what do guys recommend ?

What should i read etc..etc... and all that jazz.
Thanks in advance
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #16126 on: March 29, 2015, 02:47:58 pm »

Hello all of you!

So, basically i am newb in aurora, but i did managed to install and put things working. However, i dunno nothing about the game what do guys recommend ?

What should i read etc..etc... and all that jazz.
Thanks in advance

Here's a sort of let's play tutorial thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnYfJ6m68jU

I don't know how much that helps, really, I've only watched a few episodes, but people seem to like it a lot, so perhaps. I don't remember how I've learned what I have, I just kind of picked it up by googling things I didn't understand.

Huh.... What does everyone think about an Aurora ship tournament? Given limited resources (tech points and minerals) people build a ship and someone recreates them with space master and have them duke it out.

I think that could be fun, but you'd also probably want to people to all be on a chat or a stream or something so they different captains could give orders. Count me in if you want to do it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16127 on: March 29, 2015, 03:34:48 pm »

Huh.... What does everyone think about an Aurora ship tournament? Given limited resources (tech points and minerals) people build a ship and someone recreates them with space master and have them duke it out.

I think that could be fun, but you'd also probably want to people to all be on a chat or a stream or something so they different captains could give orders. Count me in if you want to do it.

Quite. I know for certain that my designs tend to need a fair amount of micromanagement for maximum combat effectiveness. Also, if we were to do such a thing, it would be best to do it as a fleet, because single-ship fights don't allow for as much cleverness of design. That said, I like the idea, and it wouldn't be hard to do at all, at least the initial setup. All you'd have to do is create several empires on Earth with a set number of RP and Fast OOB points, and have the Space Master double-check that nobody went over. Maybe do it with 1-minute "turns" per battle (have someone not part of the match running and commenting on it, with the players involved giving orders via PM after each update), and do it as a tournament (a series of "two fleets enter, one fleet leaves" battles, using SM mode to put the winning fleet back up to strength after each fight), which I think would be better than a free-for-all).

Of course, a stream would probably work better, but it might be more hassle than it worth.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16128 on: March 29, 2015, 04:19:06 pm »

Well I wasn't planning on hosting the tournament, I haven't even gotten in an actual battle yet. I just threw it out as a suggestion that people would like and that I'd enjoy watching/reading.

Fleets sound complicated though. You would need to constantly update the people controlling them with images or save files.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16129 on: March 29, 2015, 04:25:15 pm »

The difference between a fleet and single ships isn't really that great in terms of "information that needs to be presented," particularly if there's "neutral party commentary" going on. Most of the information needed would be in that, and all the player would really need would be "what's Warlock's magazine status", "can Star Knight get a lock on Enterprise?" or "Can I get a damage sheet for Excelsior?"

If a couple of the Aurora vets here want to try a sample engagement, that'd be the best way of knowing for sure how well it would work.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #16130 on: March 29, 2015, 04:53:17 pm »

The difference between a fleet and single ships isn't really that great in terms of "information that needs to be presented," particularly if there's "neutral party commentary" going on. Most of the information needed would be in that, and all the player would really need would be "what's Warlock's magazine status", "can Star Knight get a lock on Enterprise?" or "Can I get a damage sheet for Excelsior?"

If a couple of the Aurora vets here want to try a sample engagement, that'd be the best way of knowing for sure how well it would work.

Yeah I agree, that's all you would really need. Maybe do a Skype call or something because it's easier than a stream, and it would still be much easier to communicate. Although I have done a stream in the past, I'm not sure how I did it so I'd have to go check and find out again.

Also, while I'm not quite sure I qualify as an Aurora veteran, I have been in several space battles, and I'd be happy to test out the idea at some point.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16131 on: March 29, 2015, 05:07:13 pm »

That's pretty much the nature of multiplayer Aurora by default. Premade fleet battles are still infinitely less troublesome to organize than full campaigns, too. It's actually sort of funny how it occasionally comes full circle back to its roots, too, heh.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16132 on: March 29, 2015, 09:00:35 pm »

I tried to get something like this going a few years ago, but ultimately didn't have the energy to make it work. If someone else wants to step up and do the basic facilitation, I'd participate.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16133 on: March 30, 2015, 12:51:21 am »

GAh.... Massive post was just eaten by my instable internet connection. Fuck you Comcast! Telstra!
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

fraxert

• Bay Watcher
  • hey-di-lee hi, and ho-di-lee hok
    • View Profile
« Reply #16134 on: March 30, 2015, 09:05:53 am »

The tournament sounds like the Traveller trillion credit tournament.

Of course, that tournament can't be mentioned without eurisko being brought up: http://aliciapatterson.org/stories/eurisko-computer-mind-its-own
"Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason." - StarkRavingMad

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16135 on: March 30, 2015, 09:19:09 am »

Why not just let players dictate you roughly what ship they want/need and a priority for orders. Maybe get 5 players and make the alliances like the MTG colors (guy to your left and right are allys, 2 guys opposite of you are enemys), then duke it out.

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16136 on: March 30, 2015, 10:53:30 am »

If I may make a suggestion:

Run Aurora in a Virtual Machine like Microsoft Virtual PC in this case and then use teamviewer to connect users to this (allow them control within the VM). I have used this setup a lot to play turn-based games with friends via internet as it has a good team chat/speak, nobodys pc is blocked (or at risk) and everyone can do his/her turn himself/herself.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16137 on: March 30, 2015, 11:55:26 am »

Another thing people are trying on the official forum is combat scenarios; a saved game where you have an opponent and established objectives, and various players try their hands at it. It's a cool idea, but takes the fleet design element out.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16138 on: March 30, 2015, 12:12:25 pm »

I have a fully updated Aurora. I'm now going to look at a guide and play.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #16139 on: March 30, 2015, 12:45:23 pm »

I tried to get something like this going a few years ago, but ultimately didn't have the energy to make it work. If someone else wants to step up and do the basic facilitation, I'd participate.

I think I'd be up for this, I think I have the time, especially just to set up a small test one - say for 4 players, perhaps (so we can get a nice, small, tournament).

If I may make a suggestion:

Run Aurora in a Virtual Machine like Microsoft Virtual PC in this case and then use teamviewer to connect users to this (allow them control within the VM). I have used this setup a lot to play turn-based games with friends via internet as it has a good team chat/speak, nobodys pc is blocked (or at risk) and everyone can do his/her turn himself/herself.

That might be nice, but I don't really think it'd be that much more difficult to just have the players tell the person running it what they want. You can't really mess up something like, "How many missiles does my ship have left?", or, "Switch ship x's target to y."
Pages: 1 ... 1074 1075 [1076] 1077 1078 ... 1347