Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814782 times)

Nicpon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #1605 on: February 10, 2010, 04:41:57 pm »

This game has challenged me.
Too bad I have laptop monitor not good enough to stand up to challenge.

I'll try it when I get home.

Just one question:
Can Aurora be fun even when you do not comprehend everything that is going on?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: February 10, 2010, 04:52:53 pm »

I would say no. But then again i like to know every little detail about everything so that might just be personal preference.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: February 10, 2010, 04:54:21 pm »

This game has challenged me.
Too bad I have laptop monitor not good enough to stand up to challenge.

I'll try it when I get home.

Just one question:
Can Aurora be fun even when you do not comprehend everything that is going on?

in my opinion the most fun i get is to make up some shit stories as i play.

and design super ships expect design every little part can be a bit boring.

and no try as you go much more fun.

Btw i just found a system with a 60k ton ship in :(
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: February 10, 2010, 05:32:29 pm »

I fail to see the benefit of tolerance from ideal being non linear.

I'd like to see gravity tolerance modeled differently though.
something exponential. cutting off at zero g and with tolerance defining the exponent rather than the safe range.
something like*:
G colony gravity, Gi ideal gravity, Gt grav tolerance (factor), Cg Colony cost factor for G 
Cg = ((Gi-G)^2)/Gt 
or colony cost = deviation from ideal quadrated and devided by the tolerance.
In which tolerance is a percentage 1 is default, double the tolerance and colony cost as function of G will increase half as steeply. The reverse is true for halving the tolerance, this will double the cost per G. Default values (Gi=1, Gt=1) will give a colony cost of 1 at zero G (and two G).

After working on and plotting various formulae, I have come to a conclusion that I don't think habitability should be affected by gravity, as infrastructure would give little benefit (unless antigrav plates are infrastructure). I think instead productivity could be affected and/or maybe pop.growth. 

*This formulea after discarding many as being too complex, irrational or just plain wrong.
[/geekmode]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 05:35:17 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: February 10, 2010, 05:58:06 pm »

Seems that planets have escape velocities. I'm guessing that if a ship has lower speed then the escape velocity, it can't leave that planet...Anyone got any ideas on how this could be used? Maybe giving a missile 0 engine power so that it will fall to a planet with stronger warhead strength?

It's just for flavour as far as I know, since trans-newtonian technology doesn't feel gravity (try stationing a ship on a point in space. It doesn't need fuel, even though it *should* be fighting the stars gravity. That's trans newtonian physics at work)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: February 10, 2010, 06:28:43 pm »

hmm.
come to think of it, using that reasoning, a ship without engines or other engine-less item should either follow a planet or orbit/fall into the star.
I suspect they remain immobile though. ;)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: February 10, 2010, 07:52:33 pm »

Btw, does it crash as often for any of you?

I tried following the tutorial, sorta - without using Spacemaster mode. First time I tried to design an active sensor after designing an engine, without closing the window - it CTD'd when I tried to pick a different resolution. Next time, it CTD'd when I tried zooming in on the home planet (which I called Empyrrean) to see if the ship I built is orbiting, or just sitting there. (answer: sitting there) It crashed about when I zoomed too close for the moon to be visible. At least it saves the progress at just about every step.

it almost never crashes on me. It stalls on me constantly, if I live it alone, for 30 minuets, it'll continue onward.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1612 on: February 10, 2010, 11:23:12 pm »

I've had a few error messages come up where I hit OK and it went away (repeatable stuff thats already posted on the forums) but I've never yet had a crash. Guess I'm lucky :D

It doesn't stall, either. Might slow down for a few seconds, but nothing long-term. The NPC battles can take a wee bit of time if they are really long, but not more than a couple minutes even when its running 5 second increments due to a beam battle.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: February 10, 2010, 11:24:15 pm »

I blame my slow down due to emulating XP to play it.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1614 on: February 11, 2010, 12:14:58 am »

I'm running on a pretty good processor anyway, thats probably why the game is snappy for me. The funny thing is I back when I built this computer I bought a better processor not because it would give me a bit better performance in some high end 3d game, but because it would run Dwarf Fortress better. Hehehe.

Have a core 2 duo e8600 @ 4GHz
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: February 11, 2010, 03:36:27 am »

I fail to see the benefit of tolerance from ideal being non linear.
Well I don't. For one, "surviving" on a planet with excessive oxygen content is going to be much easier than on a planet with insufficient oxygen content. Excessive heat is harder to counter than severe cold. Etc, etc.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: February 11, 2010, 03:40:34 am »

Well I don't. For one, "surviving" on a planet with excessive oxygen content is going to be much easier than on a planet with insufficient oxygen content.

That is debatable. The technology to build a biosphere is fairly simple and provides habitation in practically any poor atmospheres but the raging fire-storms that excessive oxygen causes would be a nightmare to deal with.

Although I'd expect most atmosphere issues to be dealable (is that a word) with, things like excessive gravity are more of a problem.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: February 11, 2010, 03:57:00 am »

Shades: that's why in this game, you can only colonize planets with oxygen but you can't do jack about the gravity levels.... for some reason.

If I have ships that can travel 15x faster than lightspeed and weapons that defy all conventional science, why can't I change the gravitational levels of a small moon?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: February 11, 2010, 04:02:57 am »

Shades: that's why in this game, you can only colonize planets with oxygen

Really? You can't build moon bases and the like? :( that sucks maybe I won't get around to trying it after all.

If I have ships that can travel 15x faster than lightspeed and weapons that defy all conventional science, why can't I change the gravitational levels of a small moon?

I was under the impression the lightspeed breaking was due to 'magic' elements that were found, trans-newtonian stuff or some such. Possibly this doesn't include anti-grav techs.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: February 11, 2010, 04:18:04 am »

Thing is, your active sensors send out 'gravitic pulses'. If you can pulse gravity, surely you can up it a little.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 1347