Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814721 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #1590 on: February 10, 2010, 11:57:28 am »

Someone with good levels of technology, please try to design a ship that could ask as the last hope for human kind. 1 cryo chamber, cargo to hold some construction factories, infrastructure, and whatever else could be needed for a completely new start in some far off distant galaxy.

Of course it needs a jump drive too. And high cloaking so you can evade enemies.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: February 10, 2010, 12:21:57 pm »

Might be more economical to replace the construction factory with an engineer regiment in a troop transport.

I'm at school though so I can't compare cargo bay size needed for a full construction factory compared to troop transport module size needed for a engineer regiment.  Might use up less space for 1 construction factory, but I think an engineer regiment has more build capacity than a single construction factory.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1592 on: February 10, 2010, 12:23:31 pm »

Might be more economical to replace the construction factory with an engineer regiment in a troop transport.

I'm at school though so I can't compare cargo bay size needed for a full construction factory compared to troop transport module size needed for a engineer regiment.  Might use up less space for 1 construction factory, but I think an engineer regiment has more build capacity than a single construction factory.
Doesn't a construction factory also require a population to be present? You can't drop population on system bodies like asteroids, but I believe you can drop troops such as the engineering corps

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: February 10, 2010, 12:41:40 pm »

And you can have those engineers build on asteroids?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1594 on: February 10, 2010, 12:41:54 pm »

Being unable to colonize a low-gravity environment is just wrong. High-gravity I can understand, but if you have spaceships and space stations where people live, low gravity should not be a problem for a colony.
Setting my max deviation to 90% for gravity allows lunar colonization, as well as making Io, Europa, Callisto, Rhea and Titania much better in terms of colonization while still disallowing permenant settlement of asteroids and comets

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: February 10, 2010, 12:49:03 pm »

Thing is, it's just one setting instead of two. It should outright specify the max and min values instead of "deviation from the norm", since a race may be able to handle much more of one than of another. For example, a species of fur-covered creatures may be well adapted to cold but not heat, etc.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1596 on: February 10, 2010, 12:52:45 pm »

You can adjust that by changing the other value.

Say you want a min of .10 gravity and a max of 1.1 gravity. You just set the Ideal to 0.6 and deviation to 0.5

Or in your temperature example, say you wanted range between -12 and 22. Just set the ideal to 5 and deviation to 17.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

mithra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: February 10, 2010, 01:55:27 pm »

I recommend reading the Lost Fleet series of novels by Jack Campbell, they are an inspiration to games like these... and vice versa I suppose.

I'll have to check those out.  Of course, the basis for Aurora itself is Starfire.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: February 10, 2010, 02:00:26 pm »

For the love of god i just encountered an annoying feature.

Please tell me there is some other way to give a ship design the newest type of armor without having to make a new class and re-add every piece again.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1599 on: February 10, 2010, 02:09:57 pm »

Hit new armour button when you've got the class you want to upgrade selected. Note that this will upgrade already existing ships of this design wherever they may be. If you feel that to be cheating too much, then use the copy design button and then rename to make it the design II, design III, etc. After copying you may need to hit the new armour button on the copied design in order to update it's armour.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: February 10, 2010, 02:25:21 pm »

Thank you, i must of over looked that while looking for the obsolete button (i found it)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: February 10, 2010, 03:37:05 pm »

Seems that planets have escape velocities. I'm guessing that if a ship has lower speed then the escape velocity, it can't leave that planet...Anyone got any ideas on how this could be used? Maybe giving a missile 0 engine power so that it will fall to a planet with stronger warhead strength?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: February 10, 2010, 03:41:31 pm »

I think one of the tutorials mentioned that having a zero endurance makes orbital bombs out of missiles.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: February 10, 2010, 04:31:21 pm »

I think one of the tutorials mentioned that having a zero endurance makes orbital bombs out of missiles.

Yep they become bombs.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: February 10, 2010, 04:40:52 pm »

Btw, does it crash as often for any of you?

I tried following the tutorial, sorta - without using Spacemaster mode. First time I tried to design an active sensor after designing an engine, without closing the window - it CTD'd when I tried to pick a different resolution. Next time, it CTD'd when I tried zooming in on the home planet (which I called Empyrrean) to see if the ship I built is orbiting, or just sitting there. (answer: sitting there) It crashed about when I zoomed too close for the moon to be visible. At least it saves the progress at just about every step.

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 1347