Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814694 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #1575 on: February 09, 2010, 10:53:46 pm »

I don't like to lose where magma isn't involved >_>

If someone has a question don't tell them "I don't like you asking questions", ignore it and move on.

as for the mass drivers, on the system map you should see the mineral package. and the mass driver section of the mineral screen is recent. So try shortening the time increments when the packet is about to reach mars.

It wasn't that your questions werent liked. It was the amount and type of questions. A lot of questions.

In fact, we're answering the same questions you asked before to the new peeples, without a hint of worry or agitation.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: February 09, 2010, 11:05:26 pm »

I just learned how crew training works, finally.  After wondering why a number of new ships ended up with a grade bonus of -10% when I usually average +20% through +30%

I have my racial training level at 3(default is 1)  It means my average joe crewmen are much more skilled than usual, granting large bonuses to various things (like accuracy in combat).  However as a downside I have much fewer academy trained crewmen per training center, and the game keeps track of how many I have.  My +20% to +30% crew bonus ships are made up of all academy graduates.  But because I made a large number of ships in a short time I ran out of them, and to crew the ships the navy had to recruit a number of good for nothing no-skill smucks, that didn't pass academy training to fill out the crew.  After awhile I got crews made up of nothing but skilless conscript losers, and thus got a crew grade of 0.  Which equates to a -10% penalty due to crappy crew for everything the ship does.

Moral of the story?  Keep an eye on the "crewmen and junior officers" entry in the teams/academy tab.  Every time you build a ship the amount of crew required is subtracted from that number.  If it hits 0 you start getting crappy crews.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

exoleet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: February 09, 2010, 11:07:57 pm »

I'm having Sorium shortages, so I'm building some harvester ships.

I know this is a stupid question, but what should I put on the ships to carry the Sorium, fuel tanks, or cargo holds?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: February 09, 2010, 11:08:57 pm »

Then it is ok to continue asking questions?

I think fuel tanks, and you'll need the sorium harvester technology.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: February 09, 2010, 11:11:35 pm »

Sorium harvesters convert gas giant sorium directly into fuel.  So you need fuel tanks on them.  You will also probably want some raw sorium as well, that you can't get from gas giants.  Ships with jump drives and jump constructors have raw sorium as a materiel requirement.  So just because you have a really good sorium giant don't ignore system bodies with mine able sorium.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: February 09, 2010, 11:23:39 pm »

If you dont have a good off planet mine for sodium, I would turn off fuel refineries. The harvesters in theory, will supplement your fuel need. Keep a careful eye on the annual liter per annual, and the fuel tanks. That per annual, is with a 1 availability.

My current though on harvester is small fuel holds and large number of harvesters, or just make fuel platforms.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

exoleet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: February 09, 2010, 11:40:16 pm »

So, I just put the ship in orbit around the gas giant, and it'll automatically collect the gas? I don't see a command for harvesting.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: February 09, 2010, 11:54:20 pm »

yep

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: February 10, 2010, 02:08:41 am »

Questions asked without looking or experimenting are annoying still.
I'm trying to see it as a resource for FAQ. :D
That sometimes helps.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1584 on: February 10, 2010, 06:55:16 am »

So, I just put the ship in orbit around the gas giant, and it'll automatically collect the gas? I don't see a command for harvesting.
If the gas giant has a sorium deposit, yes.
Ok, when did everyone learn what parasite meant before me? Are we talking about ships bigger then 500 tons?
I learned the word first from the Mutineer's Moon series of books, but I guess its a pretty common usage word.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: February 10, 2010, 08:35:07 am »

I recommend reading the Lost Fleet series of novels by Jack Campbell, they are an inspiration to games like these... and vice versa I suppose.
Use of missiles, minefields, jumpgates (requiring keys to use), jumppoints, reclaiming abandoned installations, wayward officers, fleet tactics, politics, it has it all. No frictionless drives though, just relativistic brute force and patience. ;)

One thing from these novel I'd want for Aurora is logistics ships that can produce new ordnance and supplies from raw minerals while in flight. Not that these would be very useful while in combat or close to home, but when on a prolonged campaign cut off from resupply and/or maintenance, such vessels would be a priceless. Esp. if your main weapons are missiles.

---
Well...
one missile corvette wing made it out of the Precursed deathtrap as well as a lone survivor of the second wing and one laser corvette that was sent back to rescue the crews of the frigates that were obliterated at first contact.
In the end we managed to hit one 15900 tonne ship with seven size 2 anti-ship missiles, denting its armourbelt, but little more. It did reverse course, though that might have been due to running out of ammo as well.
The population will be told our ships were victorious and are on patrol in our new system. ;)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 09:36:07 am by Areyar »

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: February 10, 2010, 09:10:44 am »

One thing from these novel I'd want for Aurora is logistics ships that can produce new ordnance and supplies from raw minerals while in flight. Not that these would be very useful while in combat or close to home, but when on a prolonged campaign cut off from resupply and/or maintenance, such vessels would be a priceless. Esp. if your main weapons are missiles.

I actually put that in as a suggestion for v5.0, didn't really get much response. However, yes, totally agree. Plus, image the fun playing a migrant fleet with those.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1587 on: February 10, 2010, 09:25:40 am »

I'd like it if you could have entirely orbital industry, habitation, etc. I want to be able to tug along an deep space support station on which 300,000 people live and which contains maintenance, industrial, and ordinance facilities.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: February 10, 2010, 09:39:43 am »

I suspect why you got little response is because the way the game engine works, it might be impossible to do anything without a so called pop to provide a location. Not sure though.
Anyhow, I guess it is something like that and that the idea has been around for a long time.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 09:42:23 am by Areyar »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1589 on: February 10, 2010, 11:40:54 am »

Yes but such a thing never stopped Toady. If he wanted Dwarf Fortress to work a certain way he changed it until it worked. I know very little about programming, and even less about the way Aurora works, I'm just saying it would be nice if you could tie a population to an object like a ship or complex. Drop a hab complex on a planet and move people in.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 1347