Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2765950 times)

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #150 on: January 11, 2010, 07:32:04 pm »

You can only make military ships by adding military parts (like military-grade engines), otherwise they're classified as commercial ships.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 11, 2010, 07:46:42 pm »

never mind, I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 07:49:32 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2010, 08:03:34 pm »

For now I'm just going to set my monitor resolution higher than supported and play like that.

Does anyone know what "hardware damage" could result from this, and how I'll know to stop?

It seems fine right now, everything's really small and the text is hard to read but other than that nothing horrifying has happened.

Even if Aurora never works and I give up, 360desktop is a beautiful thing.  I am so glad I found it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 08:06:19 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2010, 08:21:19 pm »

For now I'm just going to set my monitor resolution higher than supported and play like that.

Does anyone know what "hardware damage" could result from this, and how I'll know to stop?

It seems fine right now, everything's really small and the text is hard to read but other than that nothing horrifying has happened.

Even if Aurora never works and I give up, 360desktop is a beautiful thing.  I am so glad I found it.

I think people are over-exaggerating about "hardware damage"; the only thing to look out for is to make sure you click yes during the installation to not overwrite.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2010, 08:28:12 pm »

I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about setting my monitor resolution too high.

It's a 1366x768, and I've got it set to 1600x1200.  The box I checked to allow it in the display settings said it could result in hardware damage.
Shoes...

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2010, 08:31:43 pm »

I keep getting this occasionally.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
But if I click okay the error box just goes away, game seems to be going fine.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 11, 2010, 08:32:59 pm »

It's unlikely that anything bad would happen to your monitor, it's mostly a disclaimer in case something does happen . I'm kind of surprised that it works though, what monitor do you have?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2010, 08:34:13 pm »

I get those (though not that one exactly) all the time, Kael, and not yet has it resulted in damage to the game itself as far as I know.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 11, 2010, 08:40:37 pm »

It's unlikely that anything bad would happen to your monitor, it's mostly a disclaimer in case something does happen . I'm kind of surprised that it works though, what monitor do you have?

It's a dell, black, I don't know anything else about it.
Shoes...

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 11, 2010, 08:41:43 pm »

I get those (though not that one exactly) all the time, Kael, and not yet has it resulted in damage to the game itself as far as I know.

I'm pretty sure those errors are harmless; just press ok and keep playing as if nothing happened.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 11, 2010, 08:42:13 pm »

Thanks for pointing that out, I forgot about being able to set it like this.
Native here is 1360x768 IIRC, now its 1280x1024...
everything is a bit weird but will set like this only to play the game too.

Now it's playable :]
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

SteveW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 11, 2010, 09:03:07 pm »

Hi, I am the designer of Aurora. Someone drew my attention to this thread so I thought I would put in a quick post. I've glanced through and the two main issues seem to be resolution and install. I'll answer what I can generally and then answer a couple of posts specifically. Your best option though if you have problems is to post on the Aurora forum. There are a lot of experienced players and you will generally get an informed answer fairly quickly. Often within a few minutes. Also read the tutorial as that will help a lot.

http://aurora.pentarch.org/index.php

The installation program I use was written by Microsoft and is the standard installer included with Visual Studio, so it shouldn't be doing anything strange to Windows. My only input to the installer is the list of program files, which comprises an exe, a database and some graphic files. Microsoft's installer decides which DLLs are included. Many of the DLLs in the installer will be out of date because I am using an old language, which is why the installer recommends keeping the newer version. If anyone deletes the latest version of a DLL in favour of an out of date one then I imagine there is a good chance they are going to have problems elsewhere in their system. If you think the way Microsoft asks the question about DLLs isn't clear, by all means contact them and complain. This isn't Aurora-specific though as I encounter the "Keep Latest DLL?" question in many install programs. For step 3, I am not sure why unzipping a specified file into a specified directory and answering yes to two questions would be overly tricky.

With regard to install issues on Vista and Windows7. I don't use those operating systems and I hope I won't be held responsible if Microsoft doesn't make it's operating systems more backwardly compatible. However, the common issues and solutions with those operating systems have been posted on the Aurora boards by very helpful members of the forum so I would recommend reading those.

Resolution issues: Aurora is a game I developed for my own use to aid me in writing fiction. I make it available for free for others to use if they wish to. This helps me because some of the game's best features have come from player suggestions and having a lot of players means any bugs are found and fixed very quickly. The players get a game for free and often their own ideas are included in the game, often going from idea to inclusion in a new release within a few hours. My own PC is a triple screen system and each monitor is 1900x1200. Part of the reason for getting this particular setup was so I could have a lot of Aurora screens open at once and also have the System Map and Galactic Maps on separate monitors. I have kept the resolution down to 1280x1024 for the last two years for the benefit of those players with smaller monitors, although I think even that is pushing it and a higher resolution would be better. However, there is just no way you are going to play this game on a laptop with a small screen. This isn't a commercial game so I don't try to cater for every resolution out there. I could spend weeks trying to get every screen with scrollbars or re-sizable but I have limited free time and I would rather be working on new features that I can use than something that would be no use to me.

This is a free game and no one is making anyone play so I am a little surprised by just how upset some people seem to get about this. I am not going to spend time 'defending' Aurora when I know that 95% of people won't like it and would never be persuaded to like it. The game is designed for myself and the small minority of people who want to play a 4x game with this level of detail and depth and are prepared to spend the significant amount of time required to learn it. However, if anyone has constructive and specific suggestions on how to improve the game then please post them in the suggestions thread. A lot of these suggestions go into each new version.

Anyone receiving the "3061 error from the DAO database: too few parameters, expecting 1" error or a lot of error 91s, either has mismatched versions of the database and program, which means they may not have followed the installation instructions exactly and should uninstall and re-install, or they have the decimal separator issue, in which case they need to change that in their regional setting. I know some people won't play because they refuse to spend a few seconds changing their regional settings before and after playing That is entirely up to them. It would be a lot of work to make the game compatible with the comma decimal separator and again this would be wasted effort from my own gameplaying perspective. It seems a little strange that people expect me to spend a lot of time modifying a free game to fit their system requirements but refuse to make a few mourse clicks of their own.

Sorry if this post is a little blunt in places but I don't think it will put off anyone who is keen on learning the game. I'll try and answer more specific posts within this thread but I probably won't be able to check it that often. As I mentioned at the start, please post any questions or issues on the Aurora forums. The Aurora community is an extremely friendly, mature and helpful group and the old hands always welcome new players.

Steve
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 11:43:38 pm by SteveW »

SteveW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 11, 2010, 09:16:11 pm »

Ok, I now have a non-resolution question for ya.

I only have access to an ancient, 10 year old computer up here. The resolution (1024 x 768) seems ok, but it only has a measly 1.7 ghz processor and 256 mb ram. Is it worth getting, or will I be waiting half an hour to calculate anything larger than a 5 second interval?
It should be fine. It isn't processor-intensive so while it may run more slowly it shouldn't shudder to a halt :).

Steve

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 11, 2010, 09:18:15 pm »

I think you'll find that the bitterest people posting here are upset because the game is absolutely something they'd love to play but cannot due to screen real estate. We're certainly not in 'the game is too overly-complex' crowd here, though people will make their own opinions known about the programming involved. IMHO the game would cater to more people if it had more acceptable screen resolution and better documentation. I don't mind the UI it's not anything I'm not used to, and it seems that with the wiki there's an open effort to improve the "what the hell am I looking at" factor.

Other than that, I'd like to thank you for releasing an enjoyable game thus far for free. These are just words but I realize how difficult it is to do this in your own free time and see criticism of your baby. I have no doubts that the project is going wonderful places.

SteveW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 11, 2010, 09:22:01 pm »

Man, I feel utterly lost in this game.  It's two years in already and I've only just started mining Venus, started colonizing Mars, and I'm about to explore my system's fourth jumpgate, and I feel like I'm nowhere near where I should be.  I feel like I'm wasting time building automated mines to ship to Venus when I could be expanding my research or manufacturing capabilities, but at the same time I feel like NOT setting up an at least decent offworld mining colony would be a waste too.  Is there anything I should be focusing on at this point of the game?
Aurora is meant to be played on epic timescales, both in-game and in reality :) so two years is still very early in the game. There are far too many possibilities for you to do everything at once. As you explore you will work out your priorities based on what happens and what shortages you run into. If you encounter hostile aliens then weapons tech will be the priority, otherwise it might be engines or research, or building up your mining capabilities, or wealth generation if you start running out of money, etc.. For your first few games just go with the flow :)

Steve
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 1346