Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814719 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #1380 on: February 04, 2010, 11:26:03 pm »

Ah that's right i didn't include the missile yet.

18700 km/h  24 minute endurance  27m km range  3 warhead damage

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1381 on: February 05, 2010, 12:40:55 am »

Well, the 3 warhead wouldn't be that dangerous by itself. Lots of them might be.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: February 05, 2010, 02:13:48 am »

Yea, and with four per PDC per 25 seconds, the ammo storage might be enough but I think you'll need 25+ centers for it to be an effective platform, and I would try to have enough missiles for at least one reload of the magazines. So that would be at least 43000 missiles.

I'm not following my own advice, heh.

My AMM PDC have a magazine for 8k missiles, with half the weight of your PDC (thusly cheaper to construct.), but 40000 missiles to intially stock my planned five bases is a tool on my econ and I just discover I just down my ordnance factories like a bit ago, so its going to take a half a year to turn them back on. Though I have a layer missile defense, the burn AMM is first tier with there 40m range, with my 10 fighter bases that sport 30 quad meson  cannons for area PD work, that'll be three hundred turrets, what I consider my actual missile defense.

My biggest concern with my design is the range of the meson. They're only 16k miles. I have the FC at 96k where its at 50% accuracy so if my understanding isn't shit, they should have fairly decent accuracy at their max range.

Though of course they'll also have to bat through a hundred fighters (all currently armed with gauss cannons, but future plans will be a mix between gauss, meson, and microwave)

So if worse comes to worse, I can set the hundred fighters on PD duty, with the 300 mesons for an effective 400 PD  gun defense.

And I'm not sure if thats enough. 8/
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Nabobalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: February 05, 2010, 05:44:13 am »

People keep mentioning cheats, but what are they?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: February 05, 2010, 05:45:33 am »

Spacemaster mode. You can set it on or off on the little taskbar that pops up when you start the game.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: February 05, 2010, 06:29:03 am »

SM Mode more or less lets you set up the game how you want, get around some bugs, or to unfuck your design mistakes.

Aurora doesnt care if you cheat at solitaire, much like editing the raws for DF, no one really cares.

I used SM mode to set up a sandbox game with lots of minerals, lots of population so I dont need to worry about money or minerals or fuel.

I havent played with it much, but I did make a stealth a terraformer and a stealth jump tender/fuel/supply ship. The idea is a sapper, to sink into enemy space and start fucking with the planets atmosphere to make it less habitable for them, if you get lucky that will mean making it habitable for yourself.

The worse part about that design was that it, has to be declared a military design and subject to overhauls. Its a meaty ship, so that might be hard to do.

So expensive to make. But it had like around 5k speed at full burn with only a 92 something thermal and a cross mass index of 40 something, so it would be hard to detect, but even one deep space tracking station can detect 8/, so its a really expensive ship that can only harass fledging systems, which may have its uses.

If steve implements the changes to active sensor, you might be able to get away with an active sensor sweep or two.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: February 05, 2010, 10:57:52 am »

So I have an idea for an immobile defense station to place at planets and warp points, supported by roving maintanance vessels. The current design is this, to be upgraded with better lasers and sensors once those become available. I might make waypoint stations with maintenance modules and fuel/suplies storage. I might end up placing clusters of those near a jump point at a forward outpost system. (The only viable place for these would be jump points, due to their short range.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I won't start building these until I have mobile mainenance capacity and tugs. And as I'm focussing on offensive buildup right now that'll be some way of in the future.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Nabobalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: February 05, 2010, 11:10:10 am »

SM Mode more or less lets you set up the game how you want, get around some bugs, or to unfuck your design mistakes.

Aurora doesnt care if you cheat at solitaire, much like editing the raws for DF, no one really cares.

I used SM mode to set up a sandbox game with lots of minerals, lots of population so I dont need to worry about money or minerals or fuel.

I havent played with it much, but I did make a stealth a terraformer and a stealth jump tender/fuel/supply ship. The idea is a sapper, to sink into enemy space and start fucking with the planets atmosphere to make it less habitable for them, if you get lucky that will mean making it habitable for yourself.

The worse part about that design was that it, has to be declared a military design and subject to overhauls. Its a meaty ship, so that might be hard to do.

So expensive to make. But it had like around 5k speed at full burn with only a 92 something thermal and a cross mass index of 40 something, so it would be hard to detect, but even one deep space tracking station can detect 8/, so its a really expensive ship that can only harass fledging systems, which may have its uses.

If steve implements the changes to active sensor, you might be able to get away with an active sensor sweep or two.

Any tutorial on how to use Space Master? But doesn't it feel that mining supplies don't last that long, I mean your extracting resources out of the inner earth and to have only last say 30 years till depletion seems too short ?

Also this game kind of screams Mass Effect universe mod :P

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1388 on: February 05, 2010, 11:55:30 am »

Earth starts out with very few minerals. There isn't a logical reason for it, but the gameplay reason is to just get you out exploring for more resources.

If you're lucky, Venus, Mars, or Mercury will have a good cache of resources.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: February 05, 2010, 11:59:24 am »

Any tutorial on how to use Space Master?

The only ones I found so far are horribly out of date and not much help.  Maybe somebody knows of some more up to date ones but I don't know of any.  I'll try to give a quick overview.

You enter sm mode from the menu and put in the password (which is usually blank)  And (SM) will appear on the menu bar title.  As you can probably gather that tells you you are in SM mode. 

In SM mode a number of buttons appear in various screens, usually having SM someplace in the button text or SM only in the tooltip.  The buttons let you directly modify various things like planet populations research projects, planetary terraforming, system layout, stuff like that.   

For example in the research screen 2 extra buttons appear, Instant and InstantRST.  Push Instant with a technology highlighted and it will give it to you for free.  Instant RST is the same thing, just it's a shortcut that instantly gives you all the techs you made yourself from the design screen, which are called racial techs.

In the shipyards screen you get SY mod which allows you to spawn extra shipyards or modify existing ones.  And so on and so fourth  There are too many buttons to go through them all.  And I just learned them all by experimenting.

Having SM mode on constantly won't hurt anything.  You can still do everything normally, you just have the SM buttons available as well.   The only differences I could see so far is that the event log tells you why a pulse was cut short due to an NPR in SM mode, while normal doesn't.  Also in what I assume is a bug you can't set the colors for your event log messages while in SM mode.

* No you cannot see NPR players in SM mode.  You can only do that in designer mode. And since it is so easy to accidentally break the game in designer mode, Steve only gives out the password for it if you PM him directly.

* Some things not even the SM can modify.  While an SM can change the mineral values on a planet, or create new systems and jump points out of thin air, the SM cannot modify a planet's atmosphere without there being a player owned colony on it.  And the SM cannot modify the size or type of a planet at all.  The SM also cannot modify the strength of a nebula.

* If you start a game without the assign starting tech points automatically and the checkbox that gives you starting ships checked.  You will have to go into SM mode to assign them manually in the research and fastOOB creation screens.  Fortunately there is a handy number convenient on those screens to tell you how much more you can use SM mode for freebees to make up for not starting with the random starting tech.  Once they hit 0 any more is cheating.

* If doing a non-sol start you get an SM race (the game needs at least 1 race to function SM Race is just a blank dummy race) and you have to go to system information and create systems until you find one with a suitable homeworld.  Then you click HW materials (to guarantee good starting resources) and create empire with the world you want selected.  After that you just put together your new empire and can switch to it in the default race dropdown and start playing.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: February 05, 2010, 12:10:08 pm »

Any tutorial on how to use Space Master?
* No you cannot see NPR players in SM mode.

Not quite. I assume this is a bug, but when a NPR v NPR confict is occurring (and I'm guessing this also works for PR v NPR) and the event log pops up with something like

Precursors   |   Khotinok  | Target Hit | Cobra 001 hit for 1 point of damage

double clicking on the event message will show you the system in question (i.e. Khotinok in this case) from the viewpoint of the race (Precursors). Handy for showing all the racial contacts in the system, such as that fleet lurking out in the far asteroid belt.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: February 05, 2010, 12:29:56 pm »

Hm, I didn't know about that.  I'll have to try it sometime.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: February 05, 2010, 12:34:46 pm »

@Altaris:
IIRC maintenance modules only work around colonies.
But I've not gotten very far up the techtree yet, so maybe there are advanced maintenance modules that work anywhere.
I doubt it though, because you will still need the minerals to make the virtual supplies used to keep ships in prime condition.

Supply and fuel depots are a different matter.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: February 05, 2010, 01:16:51 pm »

O yeah, you can make more then one PDC per planet....I was going for a 1 per planet type of design.

And cant you just keep loading missiles into the magazines? (can one magazine supply 4 launchers? I might delete three of them for extra launchers)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: February 05, 2010, 01:53:51 pm »

magazines are just cargospace for missiles, so yeah, a single magazine can supply multiple launchers.

I think the reload speed is handled on a per launcher basis, while the magazines handle storage efficiency and explosion suppression. You can store a mixture of missilesizes in the  mags, just remember a size 2 missile also takes 2 capacity to store (and up).
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 1347