Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 910 911 [912] 913 914 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814260 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13665 on: June 22, 2013, 08:38:51 am »

I couldn't find any help on the official forums or on the net at large, but I did a bit of testing myself.

My initial conditions:
-1920x1080p
-Text Size at 125%
-Reduced Height Windows: ON

When I changed over to 100% text size, the issue did not occur. When I changed over to 150% text size, it did, though in fewer places than you have issues with.

I'll knock out the most obvious problem and assume that you know that you have to log out for text size changes to occur. My suggestion would be to try playing with Reduced Size Windows on, as I don't see any differences between the relevant points of our setups apart from that, except maybe if for whatever reason you have your computer set to display a lower resolution than what it can support. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but even Steve's response was basically "Eh, sounds like a problem with text size, I can't tell you any more than that."
 :-\

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MrNuke

• Bay Watcher
  • Always the trader...trading you some BLUE STUPH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13666 on: June 22, 2013, 08:47:26 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ok, that made me laff.

Well I have had reduced height windows on the entire time, and tried all of the different text sizes. I'll see anything else I can do before just simply crying.

EDIT: Well, my grammar can use some work...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 10:51:56 am by MrNuke »
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13667 on: June 22, 2013, 08:55:22 am »

You could try a registry hack to reduce your font below the default 100%,  but it could break your os or something.
Are you using windows 7?
Backup your registry first just in case.
Open REGEDIT, Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG, Software, Fonts

Modify "LogPixels" value, click the decimal radio button, it should be at 96 data value.
For 90 percent font size, set to 86 decimal.
For 80 percent font size, set to 76 decimal.

Close REGEDIT and reboot the computer.

Edit: That may only change your login screen font, you might need to try  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop, Name=LogPixels.

They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

MrNuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13668 on: June 22, 2013, 10:55:41 am »

This must be what masochism feels like.

Yes, I do have windows 7, but I am sure there has to be a fix that doesn't involve me hacking my registry. Ehh, I'm sure I will find a fix somewhere. Until then, I will keep sacrificing virgins to lambs, or is it the other way around?
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Nightstar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13669 on: June 22, 2013, 12:48:51 pm »

Comparing your screenshot to my game, your text is a couple of points too big. WHY, I can't tell you. You say changing the font size in windows doesn't fix it. Does increasing the size make it any worse though? If not, you may be changing the wrong thing.

One suggestion though: Instead of searching for aurora text size issues, search for visual basic text size issues.

EDIT: one more thought: Have you tried the portable release?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 12:50:49 pm by Nightstar »

MrNuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13670 on: June 23, 2013, 09:58:39 am »

I MADE IT WORK!

It turns out that the reverse of what everyone was saying was the fix. My text size was too small (I have it set to 100%). All I had to do was set it to 125% and everything was fine. I don't like how huge my icons are now, but I am sure my eyes will adjust.

EDIT: I have concluded the issue was that the text was simply too small for the window, and increasing the size of the window through windows was the solution. I do quite dislike this 125% size though, is there anyway I can set a specific program (Aurora) to it but leave out the rest of my desktop?

Double EDIT: And the increased window size means the windows don't fit on my screen without reduced height windows on. So the solution to this issue is to either make the text smaller or your windows larger.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 10:12:45 am by MrNuke »

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13671 on: June 24, 2013, 03:15:15 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 05:12:51 pm by Bronimin »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13672 on: June 24, 2013, 05:30:03 pm »

Apart from the Default Orders for surveys, I assume? Personally I don't bother with anything remotely approaching organization, I just pop on the appropriate order and send them individually to systems that need surveys. The default orders will throw up notifications when their ships don't have any survey targets within 15b km, and the galaxy map can be set up to show what percentage of the geosurvey and whether the gravsurvey has been completed in every system, so it's easy to plot out routes for reassignment.

If you organize your survey ships into a high-split branch of your naval table of organization, IIRC you can set a second default order for them to follow their higher fleet when they have no other orders, which IIRC means that if you have a bunch of survey ships grouped under another TG with a ship in it (maybe a constructor or a tanker), they'll follow it after they run out of things to survey, but that doesn't do much to help with orders.

TBH I wouldn't bother trying to organize them, but that may just be because I rarely have more than 6-8 of each type of survey ship.

3. Run Resize Enable

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13673 on: June 24, 2013, 06:35:31 pm »

I just wish you could tell them to go to a specific system. It is a pain to plot every single jump for them.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13674 on: June 24, 2013, 06:47:07 pm »

IIRC that's among the confirmed features for Aurora 2.

3. Run Resize Enable

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #13675 on: June 24, 2013, 06:57:06 pm »

Is this game still being updated or...
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13676 on: June 24, 2013, 07:14:51 pm »

once a year, u can support the open sourcce version pulsar 4x theres a subforum on the main aurora forum area

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13677 on: June 28, 2013, 06:35:20 pm »

Lol, I just had a close call with some precursors. After assembling a fleet to swat them(and avenge my survey ships), I enter the system, and immediately am set upon by a squad of FACs. I swat them no problem with my squadron of 15k ton missile cruisers, and go hunting the bigger ships my survey fleet spotted before being annihilated. Well, I find them...only to discover not only are they faster than me, but they outrange me by about 50%! I'm panicking as I'm under constant bombardment, with no hope of bringing them to action with my ASMs, and I'm starting to run low on AMMs, Things were looking grim...until I noticed the missiles only managed speeds of 16k km per second! That was a relief, since as a rule I ALWAYS include twin laser turrets on my combatants for emergency PD, and missiles that slow were no problem for the turrets to take out. Even after running our of amms to shoot down missiles, I've taken not a single point of damage, and it appears he's run out of ASMs-though, I'm still retreating due to the fact I'd never be able to catch up and destroy him.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

lumpkin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13678 on: June 28, 2013, 08:59:10 pm »

I'm on windows 7 and I've tried following the directions word by word and then tried every other combination that I thought might be a misunderstanding.  Finally I even tried doing the install and then extracting the update554 zip into that directory and starting the game.  Everything I do ends up with the
Error in UpdateGameLog
Error 3265 was generated by DAO.Fields
Item not found in this collection
Please report to http://aurora2pentarch.org/viewforum.php?f=11

What am I doing wrong?  Am I missing a file someplace?  Can anyone help me get this game installed?

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #13679 on: June 28, 2013, 11:51:12 pm »

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,1830.msg17403.html#msg17403

Make sure you installed every little thing and that you changed your decimal separator.
Pages: 1 ... 910 911 [912] 913 914 ... 1347