Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2764974 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2010, 05:48:38 pm »

Cool. They probably reside in one of the neighboring systems, if they came to Earth so early. Ooh, Alpha Centauri aliens anyone?

EDIT:Btw, how much infrastructure do you need per 10,000 people?

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2010, 05:54:02 pm »

Cool. They probably reside in one of the neighboring systems, if they came to Earth so early. Ooh, Alpha Centauri aliens anyone?

EDIT:Btw, how much infrastructure do you need per 10,000 people?

Actually I'm 9 years in so they could be just about anywhere :).

Amount of infrastructure varies by colony cost, but since the count is by millions it shouldn't take much.

Update:  :-\ They just completely changed directions and I don't even see anything in the direction they're going; since I've already completely surveyed this system there can't be anything I've missed unless there is a dormant jump point. They may just be trying to throw me off.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 05:58:10 pm by Magnnus »

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2010, 06:08:38 pm »

Ok, I now have a non-resolution question for ya.

I only have access to an ancient, 10 year old computer up here. The resolution (1024 x 768) seems ok, but it only has a measly 1.7 ghz processor and 256 mb ram. Is it worth getting, or will I be waiting half an hour to calculate anything larger than a 5 second interval?
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2010, 06:14:57 pm »

Man, I feel utterly lost in this game.  It's two years in already and I've only just started mining Venus, started colonizing Mars, and I'm about to explore my system's fourth jumpgate, and I feel like I'm nowhere near where I should be.  I feel like I'm wasting time building automated mines to ship to Venus when I could be expanding my research or manufacturing capabilities, but at the same time I feel like NOT setting up an at least decent offworld mining colony would be a waste too.  Is there anything I should be focusing on at this point of the game?

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2010, 06:16:15 pm »

Ok, I now have a non-resolution question for ya.

I only have access to an ancient, 10 year old computer up here. The resolution (1024 x 768) seems ok, but it only has a measly 1.7 ghz processor and 256 mb ram. Is it worth getting, or will I be waiting half an hour to calculate anything larger than a 5 second interval?

It should run; of course not as fast as a modern computer, but the turns seem to be pretty well optimized. Actually because of the way the variable length turns are run 5 days won't take much longer than 5 seconds (at least for me). You can also turn orbits off and set the construction cycle time higher to speed things up.

Man, I feel utterly lost in this game.  It's two years in already and I've only just started mining Venus, started colonizing Mars, and I'm about to explore my system's fourth jumpgate, and I feel like I'm nowhere near where I should be.  I feel like I'm wasting time building automated mines to ship to Venus when I could be expanding my research or manufacturing capabilities, but at the same time I feel like NOT setting up an at least decent offworld mining colony would be a waste too.  Is there anything I should be focusing on at this point of the game?

I wouldn't worry to much; things take a long time in this game, and its not very competitive so if your not doing everything perfectly it really doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 06:18:00 pm by Magnnus »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2010, 06:30:11 pm »

Well I'll get 360desktop installed.
Installing the game just changed the color of the "right-click menu" to dark-gray (it was really-light gray), but I don't see any major differences.

Maybe installing the game caused a minor blackout in my city, since all lights went out for 5 minutes a bit later after I installed, ha!

Reading the tutorial, I'm still getting to know about the System Map.
Let's go :]
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2010, 06:55:40 pm »

Well I'll get 360desktop installed.
Installing the game just changed the color of the "right-click menu" to dark-gray (it was really-light gray), but I don't see any major differences.

Maybe installing the game caused a minor blackout in my city, since all lights went out for 5 minutes a bit later after I installed, ha!

Reading the tutorial, I'm still getting to know about the System Map.
Let's go :]
Heh! Just ask the Aurora people or us here if you have any questions, i'm well underway to setting my mars colony up and running.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2010, 06:58:42 pm »

360desktop will only help with horizontal resolution. I.e., if you're less than 1200 wide. If you're less than 1024 tall, it's of no use.

[For the record, I had no problem with installation, and my Win7 setup even gave me a "No to all" button to reject overwriting, so it wasn't even time-consuming. It was only when I got it up and running that design issues became evident. I'd hope a game this complex has a robust design, which would mean it would be trivial to add scrollbars (either by default or as a config option), but if it doesn't, well, it's the designer's labour of love, so I've obviously no ground to complain about him focusing development time as he sees fit...]

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2010, 06:59:02 pm »

I keep getting all these weird DAO.x errors every time something happens, like dropping colonists off on a planet, and other rather arbitrary things. Maybe the game needs to be run with administrative rights in Vista/7?
!!&!!

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2010, 07:08:45 pm »

I keep getting all these weird DAO.x errors every time something happens, like dropping colonists off on a planet, and other rather arbitrary things. Maybe the game needs to be run with administrative rights in Vista/7?

I think that means it wasn't installed correctly; did you unpack the AuroraUpdate475.zip and 4.77 update to the aurora folder?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 11, 2010, 07:13:37 pm »

Heh! Just ask the Aurora people or us here if you have any questions, i'm well underway to setting my mars colony up and running.

Thanks man :]

I just got to the "Design Class" part and I have a sad issue: I can't see the "New" button in the Design (f5) window.
I will have to use ALT shortcuts (like ALT+N) to get through this.
._.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 11, 2010, 07:19:46 pm »

I think that means it wasn't installed correctly; did you unpack the AuroraUpdate475.zip and 4.77 update to the aurora folder?

Yes I did.
!!&!!

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 11, 2010, 07:21:28 pm »

My (rather limited) Win7 Aurora playtime suggested it very much wanted to run as Administrator.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 11, 2010, 07:27:31 pm »

@E. Albright: no to all means the game rewrites files, as the way the question is worded it asks if you want to keep your old "newer" files. So you have to click yes everytime to stop it from writing over.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 11, 2010, 07:28:45 pm »

how do I set a class (ship design) to military? (it can be military or civilian, which is odd because you can put military components on your civilian designs)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 1346