Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 881 882 [883] 884 885 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815167 times)

foarl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13230 on: February 28, 2013, 12:02:35 pm »

One thing that puzzles me. If shipyards start at 500bp/year, why does my first 400bp ship always take 2-3 years to build?

Unless naval yards also have a slower build rate. I know there's some mechanic I'm not aware of here.

Edit: Nope. Civvy yard has the same build time.

Edit: Thinking about the research in ship building, it seems the start is 230, not 500. Cleared up xD
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:04:41 pm by foarl »

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13231 on: February 28, 2013, 12:28:04 pm »

foarl check your planet summary again, do you have a worker shortage? it might be that. It could be a mineral shortage too I think. a lack of wealth can cut into research as well.

I've a little tip for building ships though: build all the seperate components first. e.g I've got a stock of about 20 750EP engines and quad lasers right now.

And FritzPL, I've got a 29k ton ship sitting on my jump point. I'll be moving to intercept as soon as my ships are completed.
I'm not sure how the hell it got here, but my Revenge-Class cruisers shall be moving to intercept shortly.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13232 on: February 28, 2013, 12:35:19 pm »

It could be a jump gate constructor.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13233 on: February 28, 2013, 12:52:36 pm »

Nah, I already built a jumpgate on my side-- but there's no way they had enough time to build one on the other. it's some kind of jumpship I'm guessing.

Also crap-- It's not one contact, it's about 20. Bastards first wipe out my peaceful geological survey and system survey vessel and now they have the audacity to launch a fleet into my system.

...My three attack ships are just about to engage them, but... If all of those things carry weapons this isn't looking good.

Edit: my lead ship just got nuked four times.
Didn't even crack my shields-- And booyah we're into beam range! (I don't have ANY missiles at the moment... these three ships are the only military I have. I had to build something up from scratch.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kills made so far: 1. It was streaming atmosphere for a while, but... nah, boom :P

Edit: And now they take about twenty hours to await the acknowledgement of an order because I've not had time to train them.
Nah, it's fine. You're all being pelted with nukes, so it's fine. just chill. I'm sure your lacklustre shields can save you.
(Actually they have, I'm kinda suprised. They've shrugged off about 8 salvos so far and only one ship has suffered a tiny amount of damage to the armour.)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 01:48:00 pm by Iosyn »

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #13234 on: February 28, 2013, 02:15:06 pm »

Which leaves me thinking - is fleet training absolutely needed now? Or can I make it with a shit crew on each of the ships and a good captain leading the fleet?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13235 on: February 28, 2013, 02:31:00 pm »

claim all colonizable/mineable planets/moons to stop civvies from mining it away from you. The economy boost is small, and the minerals are gone for good.
You can also just purchase the minerals the civs mine, via the "Civilians/Ind Status" tab of the colony management window, and use the built in mass driver in every CMC to send the minerals to your factory world. As the civs will increase the size of the CMC over time this can be a good way of getting additional minerals flowing in early on.

Which leaves me thinking - is fleet training absolutely needed now? Or can I make it with a shit crew on each of the ships and a good captain leading the fleet?

Fleet training is kind of needed, otherwise you will be running into order delays just when you don't need them. On the other hand you can use crappy crews, ie low crew grade, without too much problem, particularly if you rely primarily on missile armament.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

foarl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13236 on: February 28, 2013, 02:59:19 pm »

claim all colonizable/mineable planets/moons to stop civvies from mining it away from you. The economy boost is small, and the minerals are gone for good.
You can also just purchase the minerals the civs mine, via the "Civilians/Ind Status" tab of the colony management window, and use the built in mass driver in every CMC to send the minerals to your factory world. As the civs will increase the size of the CMC over time this can be a good way of getting additional minerals flowing in early on.

Agreed, but if we're keeping it sweet and simple I found micromanaging civ mining ops to be a pain. Mostly because they start them at their leisure, not at your needs. And you can always declaim to open up to civ miners I do believe.

As for fleet issues. How much does crew training influence fighter squadron launching? Running under the assumption of "movie style" squadrons, you'd think the launching is fast and the retrieval is slow. But launching 19 fighters with an inexperienced crew took ***24 days***.

It's kind of important with regards to fighter design. I can't have fighters with 24hrs of fuel on them if they need to be launched a month in advance of utility.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13237 on: February 28, 2013, 03:08:42 pm »

THAT IS OH JESUS THE BEARDED ALMIGHTY HOW

24 days? Seriously? I mean, it's not the New New York's Motorway, why the hell would they be so slow?
Maybe you haven't assigned commanders higher up in the chain of command? Staff officers? Carrier captains?

foarl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13238 on: February 28, 2013, 03:16:02 pm »

THAT IS OH JESUS THE BEARDED ALMIGHTY HOW

24 days? Seriously? I mean, it's not the New New York's Motorway, why the hell would they be so slow?
Maybe you haven't assigned commanders higher up in the chain of command? Staff officers? Carrier captains?

That game died to a bug, but I'm getting close to that point again. I had auto assigments on, so there should have been some kind of captain on the ship and higher up in the chain. Can't guarentee quality. Most of the fighters had no officers assigned to them though.

But yeah. I was... "shocked" when I saw that to say the least. That's less than 1 fighter launched a day. What the hell engineers, did you make the exit ramp so small we're reconstructing the fighters on the other side?!?!

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13239 on: February 28, 2013, 04:30:12 pm »

That... doesn't make sense. Launch is instant, doesn't matter what tonnage or how many are in the unit. Retrieval is likewise instant, once you're coexisting in the same location as the mothership/base. I am questioning if you aren't first constructing the fighters and having them automatically land on their assigned mothership?

foarl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13240 on: February 28, 2013, 05:41:01 pm »

Constructed>assigned to carrier>landed on carrier.

Then when I hit launch, the carrier got a 24 day timer and the fighters didn't pop out until it was done. Entirely possible that coulda been order delay based.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13241 on: March 01, 2013, 01:53:45 am »

Hm... maybe some interaction with being the target of the fighter construction order. When it finally popped them out, were the fighter factories done making new ones?

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13242 on: March 01, 2013, 01:58:04 am »

Can you post the carrier design, foarl? I think I recall there being a special part that would speed up unloading/loading things onto ships.
Also, are you sure that wasn't 24 hours? Because that seems a lot more realistic than 24x24 hours.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13243 on: March 01, 2013, 05:34:02 am »

Yeah, my little cruisers went out and decimated their first FAC... Then because they weren't trained they sat their in enemy missile range for about ten hours (or more) just chilling instead of pursing the other FAC and gunning it down. Luckily my ships had enough shields and armour that they could tank the small salvos they were sending my way (for said ten hours) with only minor damage, but dear lord...

You're a rear admiral. You seem to have a good crew training rating and initiative.
When you get to that rank I don't want to have to tell you how to move every individual ship, I should be able to trust that you can pursue enemies and wipe them out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13244 on: March 01, 2013, 07:02:33 am »

That seems rather artificial.

Though I guess Aurora takes place in a universe where making controls needlessly complex is considered an artform.
Pages: 1 ... 881 882 [883] 884 885 ... 1347