Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815001 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #1320 on: February 03, 2010, 07:57:33 pm »

O i totally agree with that on dwarf fortress but you don't know you've lost in this game until you get jump capabilities and run into an NPC then have that NPC reach your planet and bomb you.

Compared to that, in DF if you sneeze you die.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: February 03, 2010, 08:00:24 pm »

But those questions have saved me, at my guess, weeks of time restarting this game trying to figure stuff out.

Of all places to use this as a reasonable excuse.

LOSING IS FUN!

Tell me about it.

Starting countless times with a conventional empire and getting wooped by invading npr's every time has teached me alot.

Pray tell?
Don't start with TN NPRs if you start pre-TN tech yourself? :)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: February 03, 2010, 08:26:45 pm »

Just so you know... you can't set starting NPRs to conventional/TN or even how much research they have.  Nor can you set the auto-generated SMs to be conventional/TN and their research...

Only the SM mode created NPRs can be manually set...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: February 03, 2010, 08:32:39 pm »

From the Aurora forum, the NPR cant yet handle a conventional start, they would need to be player controlled.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: February 03, 2010, 08:33:48 pm »

Hmmm....  no wonder why the one time I tried to make a conventional NPR... they were screwy...

(Havn't bothered to keep up with forums)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: February 03, 2010, 10:43:07 pm »

yup, that was what I was alluding to. :)

NPRs need to start with TNtech.

newly generated NPRs have 50-50 odds for being conventional or transnewtonian though. According to a post I read recently.

crist!
I've been collecting and editing images of rocks, planets and creatures for 3 hours now.
I should get some sleep.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: February 03, 2010, 10:53:10 pm »

Mining ships are so not worth it. I can build automated mines faster cheaper, and drop them off with a cargo ship.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1327 on: February 03, 2010, 11:15:38 pm »

I feel the same way about the sorium collector ships that get sorium from gas giants. I get so much sorium off my planets I don't need the teensy bit of fuel they generate. I guess if you had a real sorium shortage you could use them, but I've always managed to find a big planet somewhere that had millions of sorium. Gas giants have less sorium than the big planets I tend to find.

I still use tankers to deliver fuel, but they pick it up from my industrial planets.

The only modules that I find useful are the terraformer and the maintenance. Terraformer because it's the only way to get worlds terraformed without hauling in population and infrastructure, and maintenance because you can set up temporary maintenance bases for your ships without actually having a population there.

Mining ships could be useful if you had a bunch of low mineral asteroids you wanted to strip without moving the mines around over and over, but I usually don't even bother with low mineral asteroids. I guess if I ever start running short on something I might...
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: February 03, 2010, 11:37:05 pm »

Yea, I have a sorium collector/tanker/resupply ship sitting is orbit around a sorium giant in the system between my capital and my one colony.  It sits on that sorium giant all the time it's idle, and has only ever gained 2% fuel from one idling session at a time.  It idles for years at a time. 

I am suffering from a pretty heavy sorium shortage. My homeworld still has 20m liters of fuel, but god forbid I try to build anything that has a jump drive on it.  I don't have any significant input and have a stockpile of only 250 sorium currently empirewide. 

My harvester tanker, 2 small planet mines producing a trickle of 20 or 30 units annually that don't have much at any rate.  And 1 'mediocre' mine that has the misfortune of being in a precursor system and distant from my central systems.  Which comes out to a total output of about 500 units of sorium annually.  Which is pathetic.  My shipyards want 600 for 3 small ships.

And does anyone else notice tugs not always working right?  I send a tug off to haul a survey ship that didn't quite make it to the fuel dump for refueling and link the tractor beam to it and the ships still won't move because the ship that should be being towed has no fuel.  I have to give the ship some of the tug's fuel in order to get there, but when I do that what's the point of the damn tractor beam?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: February 03, 2010, 11:52:52 pm »

Hmm... how big is your harvester?

This is mine:
Code: [Select]
Bayern class Supermassive Harvester    569400 tons     6588 Crew     10716 BP      TCS 11388  TH 12200  EM 0
1071 km/s     Armour 1-611     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Capacity 12 MSP    Max Repair 61 MSP
Fuel Harvester: 100 modules producing 2800000 litres per annum

D-244 Fusion Weiss FE5 (50)    Power 244    Fuel Use 4.75%    Signature 244    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 3,000,000 Litres    Range 199.6 billion km   (2157 days at full power)

Commercial AMS 16k R2 (1x4)    Range 1000 km     TS: 16000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
This design is classed as a commercial vessel for maintenance purposes
It seems excessive, but it's actually quite cheap to make (if you can't use refineries) and only takes 0.45 years to build for me.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: February 03, 2010, 11:57:32 pm »

I haven't used any tugs, so I can't help.

I built some 100kt harvesters and I am regretting it in some aspects, from the bugs I had with them.

I think I made them to large, the grand shceme was to have them do double role of tanker and harvester. As a harvester, the 1m tanks are simply to large. The annual rate is with in respect with the mining system, and availability affects it harvesting rate.

The million tanker should have taken a five years to fill up from empty. Though Jupiter is at availability five, so now I'm thinking 10-15 years.

I also don't see a way to improve harvest capability.

My current thinking is to do fast 50k liter harvesters that get filled up in six months.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: February 04, 2010, 12:04:37 am »

I completely misremember my own design.

Code: [Select]
New York class Tanker    83550 tons     973 Crew     1555 BP      TCS 1671  TH 750  EM 0
448 km/s     Armour 1-170     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Capacity 12 MSP    Max Repair 60 MSP
Fuel Harvester: 15 modules producing 360000 litres per annum

Ion Engine E0.8 (5)    Power 150    Fuel Use 8%    Signature 150    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 1,300,000 Litres    Range 349.4 billion km   (9027 days at full power)

Thinking about using this design.

Saratoga class Fuel Harvester    52150 tons     551 Crew     829 BP      TCS 1043  TH 200  EM 0
191 km/s     Armour 1-124     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Capacity 10 MSP    Max Repair 60 MSP
Fuel Harvester: 10 modules producing 240000 litres per annum

Magneto-plasma Drive E0.7 (1)    Power 200    Fuel Use 7%    Signature 200    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 100,000 Litres    Range 49.1 billion km   (2976 days at full power)

« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 12:11:03 am by MrWiggles »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: February 04, 2010, 12:07:10 am »

Another thing you can do is make harvesters with no engines and use tugs to put them in place. Then either use faster tanker ships to unload them or drag them home with a tug.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: February 04, 2010, 12:23:08 am »

Why don't you guys just dump more harvester parts onto the harvester? Or is that bugged somehow?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: February 04, 2010, 01:20:15 am »

It works. I have only built 1 harvester though (big one, no engines, nothing but modules and fuel tanks and crew quarters.

It's an orbital refinery :D

I keep it unloaded so that it makes fuel, but I have at least 500 million sorium on the various rocks I've found so I'm not really facing any kind of shortage.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 1347