Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 836 837 [838] 839 840 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817657 times)

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12555 on: November 22, 2012, 08:33:13 am »

The windows in Aurora dont update in a consistant manner.  Some, like F2 Population and F3 System update when time advances, but F5 - ship design, does not.  No window updates to information entered into another window.  Either 'Refresh', if the option exists, or close and re open it.  It may well be that the F5 window was opened when you had no engines designed, and remained open after the design was researched.  It that case it would not be refreshed, and would still show no engine components.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #12556 on: November 22, 2012, 03:27:48 pm »

I researched the components, I need to figure out how to put them on the ships.

EDIT: Nevermind, a new tab appeared out of nowhere when I created my fourth new ship class :P

You might have accidentally locked the design. In the bottom left of the class design tab is the button for locking and unlocking - try that.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12557 on: November 22, 2012, 03:55:41 pm »

I tried playing this about a year ago (?), got as far as scanning all local bodies and jumppoints, then distributing automated mines across the solar system with mass drivers to deliver to Earth. Had a small armada of beam ships. Never saw any hostiles, but the game ground to a halt far too many times. Seemed like it constantly writes everything to and from the harddisk. My harddrive is slow.

Quick question: Have there been any updates to speed up the processing of the game, and is anything special related to that planned?

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12558 on: November 22, 2012, 03:58:17 pm »

Not sure if this was your problem, but as soon as you begin retooling a shipyard to a class, the "design" tab for that class in the Class Design window disappears.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12559 on: November 22, 2012, 05:22:23 pm »

I tried playing this about a year ago (?), got as far as scanning all local bodies and jumppoints, then distributing automated mines across the solar system with mass drivers to deliver to Earth. Had a small armada of beam ships. Never saw any hostiles, but the game ground to a halt far too many times. Seemed like it constantly writes everything to and from the harddisk. My harddrive is slow.

Quick question: Have there been any updates to speed up the processing of the game, and is anything special related to that planned?
I'd guess that every time you do anything it does indeed write a bunch of stuff to HD, because the game is really just a complex database with a UI on it (literally). I'm not aware of any optimizing having been done recently, but Steve doesn't write about every code change he does (he doesn't even keep a changelog outside of his posts on the forums when he's done something) so it might have been done anyway, but it's fairly unlikely for there to have been anything terribly noticable even if he has since Aurora is a game he has made for himself that he's just chosen to distribute, so there's not a lot of motivation for him to do that instead of playing or coding more interesting things.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #12560 on: November 22, 2012, 09:15:15 pm »

My survey ships keep running out of full, even though they have 50,000 litre tanks and the order to refuel at 50% fuel. I modified their designs to have 100,000 litres total, but it'll take 9 years to refit each one.

Is there anything else I can do?
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.

"You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12561 on: November 22, 2012, 09:20:49 pm »

Improve engine efficiency for the next wave of ships? Different types of engines use up fuel at different rates, so 50,000 litres could be too little. How many days at full power can they travel? I generally find that a much better indication of how much fuel ships could have than litres. Knowing their maximum range (km) could be useful too.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12562 on: November 22, 2012, 09:25:29 pm »

I think your problem is that you're not using commercial engines. Trust me on this; if you use high-powere engines for survey ships you will run out of fuel very quickly. Heres my GeoSurvey and GravSurvey designs for my current campaign:

Spoiler: LRSUGEO1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: LRSUGRV1 (click to show/hide)

Kinda expensivwe to build, but they can last a long time.

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12563 on: November 22, 2012, 11:41:50 pm »

Do NPRs have unlimited missile capacity? if they due im screwed because im currently about 50m miles out and getting hit by 2-3 missiles every 15 seconds (or more if my PD doesnt work great)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12564 on: November 22, 2012, 11:45:48 pm »

Nope, they follow the same rules of missile supply as you do, so they shall stop firing soonish. It depends on how large their magazines are. Though if they are NPRs and not just precursors, they could get some reloads at the nearest colony. But that should give you a large enough window to counter-attack, since it's not automatic.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12565 on: November 22, 2012, 11:55:10 pm »

Precursors often come with small outposts that they can reload from too. Sometimes you can even capture them and acquire their high-tech missiles.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #12566 on: November 23, 2012, 02:45:38 am »

I think your problem is that you're not using commercial engines. Trust me on this; if you use high-powere engines for survey ships you will run out of fuel very quickly. Heres my GeoSurvey and GravSurvey designs for my current campaign:

Spoiler: LRSUGEO1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: LRSUGRV1 (click to show/hide)

Kinda expensivwe to build, but they can last a long time.

Those are really big for survey ships. I guess I'll keep these designs in mind for later game tech.

Also, the Aurora forums. My god. Those people throw around mathematical equations I doubt even a calculator could understand like nobodies business. Every post I read over there, I become more and more convinced that that's where mathematicians go to play. I also die a little inside, knowing that I will never have any idea what the hell they're talking about.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12567 on: November 23, 2012, 03:50:53 am »

Finally made contact with an alien species, and the first of my two fleets were destroyed almost immediately.  I then send my other fleet to secure the jump point on my side, and it's again destroyed with little effort.  Is it normal for the enemy to have a 60,000 ton ship with 600 shields, 13 meson cannons, and then carry 16 fighters, which area also armed with meson cannons?  Also, other then my lack of ECM ability (That's the main thing that killed me.  I was unable to engage at range, and was well within point defense range by the time I could actually fire), what is wrong with this ship (Since I was only able to get three kills total.  On the 600 ton fighters)
Lexington class Battlecruiser    21,550 tons     1885 Crew     4938 BP      TCS 431  TH 420  EM 0
2784 km/s     Armour 9-68     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 29     PPV 107.64
Maint Life 4.97 Years     MSP 2721    AFR 195%    IFR 2.7%    1YR 183    5YR 2752    Max Repair 394 MSP
Flag Bridge    Cargo Handling Multiplier 5   

Magneto-plasma Drive E7 (15)    Power 80    Fuel Use 70%    Signature 28    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 700,000 Litres    Range 83.5 billion km   (347 days at full power)

Twin ASL  Turret (4x2)    Range 256,000km     TS: 6000 km/s     Power 20-8     RM 4    ROF 15        10 10 10 10 8 6 5 5 4 4
Twin PDL Turret (4x2)    Range 120,000km     TS: 16000 km/s     Power 6-8     RM 4    ROF 5        3 3 3 3 2 2 1 1 1 1
ASL  (2)    Range 256,000km     TS: 4000 km/s     Power 10-4     RM 4    ROF 15        10 10 10 10 8 6 5 5 4 4
CIWS-160 (3x6)    Range 1000 km     TS: 16000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
Fire Control Main (3)    Max Range: 256,000 km   TS: 6000 km/s     96 92 88 84 80 77 73 69 65 61
Fire Control Point Defense (3)    Max Range: 96,000 km   TS: 16000 km/s     90 79 69 58 48 38 27 17 6 0
Stellarator Fusion Reactor Technology PB-1.1 (4)     Total Power Output 105.6    Armour 0    Exp 10%

Active Search Sensor PD (1)     GPS 42     Range 2.5m km    Resolution 1
Active Search Sensor Fleet (1)     GPS 1575     Range 42.3m km    Resolution 5

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12568 on: November 23, 2012, 04:31:22 am »

I'd guess that every time you do anything it does indeed write a bunch of stuff to HD, because the game is really just a complex database with a UI on it (literally). I'm not aware of any optimizing having been done recently, but Steve doesn't write about every code change he does (he doesn't even keep a changelog outside of his posts on the forums when he's done something) so it might have been done anyway, but it's fairly unlikely for there to have been anything terribly noticable even if he has since Aurora is a game he has made for himself that he's just chosen to distribute, so there's not a lot of motivation for him to do that instead of playing or coding more interesting things.
Was kind of hoping at some point it could run entirely in RAM, rather than re-saving the entire database every tick. If it's not running faster for anyone else compared to about a year ago, I think I'll pass on it until the Aurora II.

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12569 on: November 23, 2012, 04:40:54 am »

@Lightningfalcon:  That's not an NPR, that's one of Auroras HFS. Quite tough, and will need some planning to take down.
Pages: 1 ... 836 837 [838] 839 840 ... 1347