Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 822 823 [824] 825 826 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818157 times)

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12345 on: November 10, 2012, 09:34:51 pm »

Would 6

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

be able to deal with 46 of these

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12346 on: November 10, 2012, 09:36:23 pm »

Technically speaking, a single one of those cruisers could. As long as you've got >10k speed and better range than the Soldiers, you can lead them on a stern chase until you've killed them all.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12347 on: November 10, 2012, 09:39:20 pm »

now how long do you think that would take? is their anyways i can put them in the sweet spot out of the meson range but still close enough to have a decent hit chance and just stick them on 10k km/s?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12348 on: November 10, 2012, 10:11:38 pm »

You generally want to be as close as you can get without actually being within range, any further and accuracy is compromised, while any closer puts you at risk.

Mines may do good there as well, since they'll be trailing you that puts them in a prime spot to get bombs dropped in their path.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12349 on: November 10, 2012, 11:41:47 pm »

Nah. In Aurora, the alien juggernaught comes to you. If you turned them on, that is.
No matter, it always turns out the same, which this unrelated Loud Whispers quote will tell the outcome.
That's one small step for man, one giant boot crushing alienkind.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12350 on: November 10, 2012, 11:58:03 pm »

Let's see how they like it when the boot's on the other neck, eh?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12351 on: November 11, 2012, 03:49:08 am »

However, your lasers are pretty massive, so they should be able to one-shot their target. Whichmean you can speed things up significantly by adding a second fire control.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12352 on: November 11, 2012, 09:42:29 am »

However, your lasers are pretty massive, so they should be able to one-shot their target. Whichmean you can speed things up significantly by adding a second fire control.

I don't understand what you mean. I thought FC worked as fast as possible all the time and adding a second would only help accuracy.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12353 on: November 11, 2012, 10:16:02 am »

That isn't how firecontrols work.

FC have a set tracking speed, which limits the weapon tracking speed. The tracking speed used when firing is that of the weapon, so if it is lower than that of the FC it uses that lower value, if it is higher it is limited to that of the FC. The tracking speed is only used in determining penalties to hit if the targets speed is greater than the tracking speed, there is no bonus to hit for having a higher tracking speed than the target.

What Sheb is meaning by speeding things up, is that each FC can only target a single ship, and all weapons linked to that FC will fire on that same ship. If your weapons are powerful enough that, in this case, two of your lasers hitting will kill a target, then by having a second FC the other two lasers could fire at a different ship, causing two kills in the same span of time.

Of course with the fact that you have a longer than 5 second recharge rate on your lasers, you can achieve a similar effect by only linking two lasers to the FC, firing, swapping to the other two lasers and firing on the next increment at a different target.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12354 on: November 11, 2012, 10:26:28 am »

but if I miss then I would be out of luck right? atleast for those 10 seconds. Do you have to manually assign targets for FC for each ship or is their some way to automate it?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12355 on: November 11, 2012, 10:48:41 am »

There are buttons in the combat overview screen that will allow you to copy targets and FC setups to other ships of the same class within the taskgroup, and another that will try and split fire between as many targets as possible.

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12356 on: November 11, 2012, 11:33:49 am »

ok the thread on the official forums about reduced size lasers got me thinking. What about a ship with so many lasers that is is nearly impossible to not destroy any enemy ship in 1 hit and just downgrade the size of the lasers so that it doesn't take up to much space? You could go with either speed or amour to take up the extra space and allow it to survive during the rediculously long recharge

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12357 on: November 11, 2012, 12:09:55 pm »

ok the thread on the official forums about reduced size lasers got me thinking. What about a ship with so many lasers that is is nearly impossible to not destroy any enemy ship in 1 hit and just downgrade the size of the lasers so that it doesn't take up to much space? You could go with either speed or amour to take up the extra space and allow it to survive during the rediculously long recharge
I'd just laugh at you as I launched missiles at you from over a million kilometers away, I guess?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12358 on: November 11, 2012, 12:29:59 pm »

That wouldn't really be much good except possibly for an alpha strike platform on jump point defence with enough lasers to one shot the entire jumping force.

Reduced size laser tech is really only useful if you actually need the reduced size to fit the lasers onto the platform, eg onto a fighter or FAC. You do better damage over time with regular size lasers.

At fairly high levels of capacitor recharge rate(12/5sec) You can use the 75% size tech to produce size 2 10cm RoF 5 lasers for point defence, enabling you to fit roughly 50% more lasers on the same ship(actually a bit less than that as you will need some space for extra power plants). However the buildcost for the same tonnage devoted to weapons using the smaller lasers will be 4.5 times that of using the regular lasers.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12359 on: November 11, 2012, 12:34:50 pm »

Are there any finished (though unfinished is fine) let's plays that anyone here would reccomend? I've just finished reading Steve's Trans-newtonian campaign, and I've read most of the let's plays here on Bay12, if that helps.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 822 823 [824] 825 826 ... 1347