Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 815 816 [817] 818 819 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818258 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12240 on: October 30, 2012, 03:54:25 am »

So, you've designed a carrier that has the fuel to fly around for 6 years, crew space that people can live in it comfortably for ten, but that will explode due to maintenance failure 18 days after it more leaves orbit? Add engineering spaces, consider removing some crew quarters and fuel capacity.

Is this carrier supposed to operate independently or as part of a larger task force? At the moment it has absolutely no way to defend itself against incoming missiles, no way to traverse jump points (or maybe you're playing with jumpgates on everything), and pretty poor sensors.

As for the fighter, I'll spare the lecture on the infeasibility of a fighter armed with anything other than missiles, and focus on the obvious bits: The capacitor on the railgun is larger than the power the weapon requires, this makes the railgun more expensive without actually providing any benefit. The reactor is twice as large as it needs to be to provide the power for the weapons. The tracking speed on the firecontrol is less than a third of the tracking speed of the railgun itself. The intended deployment time doesn't need to be longer than 16 hours. The fighter doesn't have an active sensor, so presumably you intended the carrier to do the targeting. This isn't about the fighter, but really, that carrier needs some defenses. 16m km is a short range missile.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 04:03:49 am by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12241 on: October 30, 2012, 04:00:45 am »

FUCK!!!

EDIT: Here we go:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 04:02:35 am by Gamerlord »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12242 on: October 30, 2012, 04:03:47 am »

Larger taskforce. But at the moment it just needs to protect the home system. My fighters are more versatile, so I thinkk that design is going to be used for a long time.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12243 on: October 30, 2012, 04:07:37 am »

"Protect the home system." So it's going to sit around above a large colony with maintenance facilities most of it's lifetime? If that's the case, it probably doesn't need more than a year of intended deployment time. Its not necessary to have that many crewquarters, and you went way overboard with the engineering spaces.

And 4 armor layers is still way too low for a ship that size.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12244 on: October 30, 2012, 04:13:11 am »

No, just until I get into other systems. It's just a prelim design. I'll be designing a Mark 2 as soon as I get decent CIWS.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12245 on: October 30, 2012, 04:15:18 am »

Why have the carrier at all, then? Just build a PDC with hangar space.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12246 on: October 30, 2012, 04:20:46 am »

I don't like the idea of my carriers being motionless. It's just a personal preference.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12247 on: October 30, 2012, 08:26:28 am »

PDC are a lot cheaper and incur no maintenance.  They're extremely convenient for system defense.

If your ship is sitting over a colony and it's going to play local defense, then a year is all you really need.  Plan your maintenance life, crew berths, and fuel accordingly.  Also remember that fighters with less than 15 days of intended deployment will use the carrier's crew berths - yours have 3 months of deployment, so they'll use 3 months.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12248 on: October 30, 2012, 09:05:07 am »

Also note that if you use a deployment time of 0.5 months or less for your fighters their crew requirements are halved, so less space is required for crew quarters. If you reduce the deployment time down to 0.1 months then the crew requirements are reduced to 1/3rd.

Also Girlinhat where are you getting that parasite ships have to have 0.5 months or less deployment time in order to use flight crew berths? If it is from a post by Steve can you link to it as I must have missed it. As far as I can tell from what I've seen in game, and from the mechanics posts Steve made when the changes were being made, ships of any size and deployment length will use the flight crew berths if there are sufficient number of them for the crew of the parasite.

Another note for carriers. When you want to add crew quarters to the carrier to create flight berths for the crew of your fighters to use, you need to make sure the "keep excess CQ" is selected in the upper right, otherwise you are unable to add them.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 09:09:22 am by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12249 on: October 30, 2012, 09:27:07 am »

I can't quote where I read it, but I'm just about positive that I did.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12250 on: October 30, 2012, 09:39:39 am »

Can't find anything to suggest that it is the case on the aurora forum, indeed Steve uses the example of a fighter with a 6 month deployment time in his original mechanics post about the new crew system.

The only time that the figure of 0.5 months deployment comes up as far as I can tell, is the reduction in crew numbers if a ship has at or below that intended deployment time.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12251 on: October 30, 2012, 10:03:27 am »

Well I've been known to be wrong before.  I was probably messing up the "lowered crew" deal there.

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12252 on: October 30, 2012, 10:58:19 am »

so, I am going to try playing this game.  have 6.1 installed, just looking for some tips/recommendations that you guys can provide me.  Went through the tutorials on the wiki, as much as you can call them tutorials I guess, but have yet to continue a game past the first year...
AND the officer assignment window button is now showing up in reduced window height, and I can't get the bottom buttons in normal view...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:12:58 am by bluejello »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12253 on: October 30, 2012, 11:07:22 am »

so, I am going to try playing this game.  have 6.1 installed, just looking for some tips/recommendations that you guys can provide me.  Went through the tutorials on the wiki, as much as you can call them tutorials I guess, but have yet to continue a game past the first year...

Why not? What problems are you running into?

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12254 on: October 30, 2012, 11:13:49 am »

mostly the start is a bit to slow, and I end up leaving the game and doing other stuff.

EDIT: Switching back to 5.6 due to bug in the latest version in reduced window size, check my prior post.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:21:24 am by bluejello »
Pages: 1 ... 815 816 [817] 818 819 ... 1347