Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 754 755 [756] 757 758 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818441 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11325 on: August 26, 2012, 12:30:56 am »

Now that they have construction ships, you're pretty much boned if they start hitting you. The best bet would probably be to camp the wormhole and swarm their survey ships; I've noticed that they'll occasionally 'give up' and stop sending ships if you wipe out multiple waves in a row.

Incidentally, I'd save any salvage until you're at higher tech, to avoid wasting the free RP on stuff you can research in a few months.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11326 on: August 26, 2012, 12:36:22 am »

Don't wrecks decay after a while?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11327 on: August 26, 2012, 01:31:51 am »

Nope, swarm and AI will happily salvage though

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11328 on: August 26, 2012, 03:44:49 am »

Trying to get into this. Mostly having no idea what to do...

I'm quite sad that most LP's of this here stopped after a few turns.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #11329 on: August 26, 2012, 03:55:14 am »

being guilty of being a drop out, I can say that the five second turn boring death is what killed all my LP

it also killed a tutorial attempt.

I love/hate this game.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11330 on: August 26, 2012, 11:10:58 am »

Nope, swarm and AI will happily salvage though

NPRs don't salvage yet. And the Swarm aren't salvaging, per se...

Trying to get into this. Mostly having no idea what to do...

I'm quite sad that most LP's of this here stopped after a few turns.

Speaking from personal experience, mostly because it's a massive pain in the ass to run an Aurora LP properly and still keep to a regular update schedule. :| There's a reason why most Aurora fiction is AARs.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11331 on: August 26, 2012, 12:22:42 pm »

Bah, it keeps giving Error 3265 generated by Dao. fields ...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11332 on: August 26, 2012, 12:29:12 pm »

Finally got around to designing and deploying boarding parties! There was an unarmed Precursor vessel stuck in one of my systems after I took out all their listening posts. It'd show up periodically on my display as it rotated through the orbiting sensor sweep. So I figured, "Aha! A perfectly safe target to try my hand at combat dropping marines!"

Trained four marine companies, built four combat dropship FACs with 14000km/s top speed (to increase chances of a successful intercept), and a FAC tender to hold them all, plus more comfortable quarters for the marines.

Shipped out the capture squadron (with a pack of destroyers on standby in case things went pear-shaped). FAC Tender had shrouded engines so i was able to close in nice and tight, park the tender, transfer the troops into their drop pods, and launch all four FACs.

Hostile caught sight of the incoming dropships at about 20k range, and tried to run at about 6200km/s. No problem catching him. Despite better than a 2:1 speed ratio, half the marines missed the target entirely and were incinerated in the engine flare. Two of the companies landed on the hull, but since the armor was unbreached, they had to deploy charges and burn their way in. No biggie, since it wasn't a firefight situation. They finally crack the hull, slip inside, and combat ensues. Combat sitrep in 120...90...60...30...

And then I discovered the hard way that I'd tried to board a Combat Transport. My combat ratio was 0.0008 >_<
I can only imagine the curbstomp battle that must have been.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11333 on: August 26, 2012, 01:33:36 pm »

What kind of 3265 error is it?

Does it go away if you just keep clicking okay?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11334 on: August 26, 2012, 01:44:38 pm »

What kind of 3265 error is it?

Does it go away if you just keep clicking okay?
I got it in 2 flavours.
One  on start up that kept coming back untill I restarted my PC and which I fixed by not installing in program files.

The other comes up whenever I try to press the save button when creating a new campaign. It says"
Item not found in this collection.
Then goes away. The save is completely empty.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11335 on: August 26, 2012, 01:53:00 pm »

For clarification: Are you trying to save after you've pressed 'New' and created a new campaign?
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11336 on: August 26, 2012, 01:55:54 pm »

For clarification: Are you trying to save after you've pressed 'New' and created a new campaign?
Yes.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11337 on: August 26, 2012, 03:31:45 pm »

And then I discovered the hard way that I'd tried to board a Combat Transport. My combat ratio was 0.0008 >_<

That is hilarious.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11338 on: August 26, 2012, 03:38:52 pm »

Yes.
Then that might be something new, or at the very least something very obscure. You should report it on the official forums.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11339 on: August 27, 2012, 02:49:31 pm »

That is hilarious.
Iknorite? Like something out of an action movie, where the redshirt special ops guys look all badass and crack into the enemy ship, only for an "OH SHI-" moment as the camera pans through the breach to reveal tens of thousands of armored alien badasses waiting for them.

So my marines were basically just dramatic fodder to establish that the enemy is, in fact, badass.

Kinda anti-climatic then that I blew it out of space shortly thereafter with my battlegroup.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 754 755 [756] 757 758 ... 1347